don't click here

Naoto Oshima talks about Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Aquaslash, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    so check out this neat little interview

Oshima speaks of many of the things he was involved with, including Sonic. He mentions that the time changed were originally supposed to be instant, a la Back to the Future. He also mentions that Sonic CD was essentially created as Sonic 1 for the Sega CD, and that they were in contact wit the S2 staff from the get go, exchanging ideas and the like.

2. That would have been an awesome game.

Instead of past, present and future, the entire level changes.

I also liked his idea on the Instant Boom, where the entire environment changes in an instant via a flash of light.

That and how Sonic would be stuck in the past. Would have been interesting.

3. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    That would've been interesting to see the "sonic boom" effect and for the entire stage to just change on you.

4. This is a great interview!

Hah, there we go.

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    That's interesting to know. Perhaps once we have a Sonic CD disassembly somebody talented will be able to work something out, though from what I've seen with Sonic CD and Megamix, MMD loading seems to be rather slower than the MD...

6. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I've found the time travel sequence to be kind of annoying, so I'd love to be able to change environments in a flash.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Perhaps a modified version of Gens could be made that allows for the Sega CD to load instantly? From there, you could make a version of Sonic CD without the teleportation sequence.

Doesn't the Sega CD add RAM to the base Mega Drive? It seems like that should allow for enough space for it to fit. That might explain why the past music isn't on the CD, perhaps they were trying to free the drive up so they could stream it?

XD

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hm, perhaps try the PC port? As I recall it's got veeeery low load times, now.

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Fun fact: no data is loaded during the warp animation. That's why you can press START to skip it.

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    … you're telling us NOW? D :

11. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Definitely ahead of his time. I would have loved to see an instant level change. They could do it now, of course, but I don't know if they're going to do something like Sonic CD again. Would be nice for Project Needlemouse.

12. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I guess this answers the age-old question that Sonic CD actually is Sonic 1 and a half in the timeline, seeing as he said it was meant to be "Sonic 1 for the Sega CD." I always thought so because after you 100% the game including time trials you get a screen showing Tails that says "see you next game"

13. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Kinda knew that it was originally Sonic 1 for the Sega CD, since it was built off the original source code from Sonic 1 and retained the same exact symbol/label names for things that were either the same or changed differently from Sonic 1.

Still cool, nonetheless.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow, insanely interesting stuff. Great find—thanks for sharing! :)
    Whoa, this is kind of surreal. Does this mean that time travel really could have been a concept adapted for Sonic CD after it failed in Sonic 2? I always thought that was just a sensible theory; I had no idea the two teams actually had regular contact. It's trippy to know that might have actually been what happened!

15. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Indeed, it makes the Sonic 2 CD thing seem more credible.

Also, Ohshinma? Picky yes, but spell check, please.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Given that he was rather gung-ho about the concept I have a feeling he planned it from the get-go, but that's just me.

17. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    In fact, it was the contrary presented as fact for the longest time.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Heh, knowing now that it was supposed to be like Back to the Future, Sonic having to maintain a certain level of speed to time travel fits so well.

19. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    That's pretty neat. I love Sonic CD! :v:

20. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    The interview is archived on the wiki: <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Naoto Oshima interview by Gamasutra (December 4, 2009)" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Naoto Oshima interview by Gamasutra (December 4, 2009)</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.