don't click here

X-Box LIVE "Deal of the Week": Sonic 2

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/11/30/...hedgehog-2.aspx

Just thought I'd let you guys know just in case; not sure which port/Emu they're using for this one.

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    It's just the normal XBLA Sonic 2, but cheaper. So it'll be the Backbone/Digital Eclipse emulator. I really don't see why it isn't at this price all the time, though.

3. Yeah, both Sonic 1 and 2 for XBLA have terrible emulation. The sound is low and awful, and the controls are occasionally unresponsive. And don't get me started on the lag if you don't get host when playing 2-Player on the Internet...

That said, I've had this for nearly two years. >.>

4. djdocsonic

djdocsonic

Testing YOUR Hacks Since 2005... Member
    Emerald Hill Zone
    Looking for a Rom Hack to Test.
    Bought it when it was 1st released on XBLA both S1 and S2. Regretted it and should have stuck to my guns and used PC Emulators or dusting off the MegaDrive again....

5. I think the only reason I bought S1 and S2 were for the achievements. Still makes me sad that the achievements for the Sonic games plummeted in difficulty after S2. Shit, S2's "Xbox Live Racer" achievement took me nearly two years to get because no one plays S2 online.

6. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Are you serious? I've never had a problem with the emulator. It's decent. The sound effects are a tad off on occasion, and the 360 controller isn't the best for platformers, but this is good for what it is.

And the smooth filter... holy CRAP does it ever look nice. On a standard-def TV it'll just make things look all blurry, but when I got my HD and tried it, I was blown away. Not even Gens running in HQ 3x looks this good.

EDIT: However, there's no way to access the title screen or anything in these ports, which also means there's no way to enter codes. All you have is save states, which is a major headache for Sonic 3 since you're locked out of the -real- save menu.

7. Bozo

Bozo

Yeah, its hard to get a Sonic 2 match, most people are on either very early or very late. Sometimes you can find a few lingerers during the day, but not too many. Trust me, Sonic 3 is a lot harder to find a match, and the online is worse because of it only being competition.

The achievements weren't too hard for this game, they could have made them a lot harder if they wanted.
    Its actually quite easy to get used to the laggy conditions as second player, it takes some precision though.

And also, the Racer achievement took me 1 day to complete.

Look me up on the ranked overall, I'm 7th or something =D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.