don't click here

The Sega Channel Demo cartridge is back on eBay.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Kiddo Cabbusses, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    In case it was needed to be said, it's just been confirmed that this demo was made by the Toe Jam & Earl guys.

2. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Apparently, Magical Quest 2 and Great Circus Mystery are the same thing. I've never tried them out, but hey!

3. Well, their style was pretty much all over the place, so... yeah. :P
    Confrimation in the game code, or from some... source? O:

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Some source the guys at Lost Levels have.

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    When we're talking "made," we're just meaning the frontend, right?

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    That would be awesome- some of the music in there is badass.

Magical Quest 1 Genesis? Huh.

7. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Considering this was supposedly made by the guys who made Toejam and Earl, this would probably use their proprietary sound driver...

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't know any more details, sorry. =\

9. BillyTime! Games

BillyTime! Games

Must be a later revision of the channel with the more stylish backgrounds as seen in the sega channel memories video.

EDIT: I didn't see it had the same date, should've double checked. hmmm, if thats the case maybe they sent out numerous carts to gaming expos.

10. Well that thing with the tires is...really fucking random. But the part documenting CCell::BitmapToCell...I don't know everything about ASM on the 68k or C, but that looks like a C++ namespace/class and a function within it being documented to me. I don't think C can do something like that because as far as I know, namespaces and classes are Object Oriented concepts (which C lacks). So...anyone care to tell me what that's all about? Or were they really using C++ to code this demo somehow and left some documentation in there?

Of course it's also possible the line about the printer and this code comment are related and they were just printing some documentation. Still kind of random this would be in the ROM file but who knows. Might've got dragged into the file by mistake at compile.

11. I actually googled around a bit and read some other people's convos about this cart -

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201329

Someone actually booted this thing on a Neo Flashcart. The initial error message is kinda strange, since I don't know how to get it to pop up in emulation.

12. BillyTime! Games

BillyTime! Games

If you boot the cart via kega fusion, it will never load and steve snake doesn't feel he needs to get it to work because the cart dump has no use.

The rom will boot to the error screen via gens however it will never boot to the intro screen.

This thing needs to be hacked. :v:

13. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    That's it. Tomorrow, if I am home sick again, Imma start disassembling this baby.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Awesome, maybe we can do something with it.

The guys at sega-16 have the idea to maybe use it for a ROM selector for flashcarts.

15. BillyTime! Games

BillyTime! Games

It would be pretty sweet to see this rom used for a multitude of things. Rom selector being one of them.

Next thing you know, Russian pirates will use sega channel for 10-in-1 carts. Hilarity ensues.

16. Vague Rant

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute Oldbie
    My guess would be that it's dialogue from the Sega Channel's "Game Help" area that somehow ended up in the ROM. Maybe something for Formula One or something (does that game feature wheel alignment, etc.?), which is mentioned in the Wings 'n' Wheels section.

17. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    :( I seem to not have IDA 5.4 anymore. Anybody willing to shoot that one over my way.