don't click here

Could this be the year?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ben2k9, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    I've been assessing the past few months recently, and it seems like Sonic Team and Sega in general are making a comeback. With the release of Sonic Battle, Sonic Heroes, SADXPC, and the airing of Sonic X on terrestrial TV; it seems that this could be the year, this could be 1992 all over again. The other major thing is that Sega are branching out, I think releasing Sonic Heroes on multiple formats was a brave move and I think it will pay off. I sincerly hope it does pay off, I would be a real shame if Sega where to come out of this year empty handed, if they do, it really will be game over.

any opinions?

2. Yuji Naka

Yuji Naka

Pending Member
    I will say one thing: the game is far from over.

3. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    I think you're right Ben2k9. They made a bold move that could ultimately put them a great position for making more creative games and stuff. This definitely is the year of Sonic. I think it will pay off in the long. I'm also hoping they continue to put Sonic games out on all the systems from here on end. They could make much more money to produce more games.

4. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    If you ask me, Sega is losing faith in Nintendo. The Gamecube isn't selling as well as the PS2 (or at least, it wasn't until they lowered the price to $100), and they wanted to reach a wider audience. As for SADX: PC, almost every household has a PC, if not a GC, PS2 or Xbox, so it would make sense to port it to the PC.

5. Plus, anyone else remember the thing about there being another sonic game on gamecube that hasn't been named yet?

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    No... anyway, wasn't it in someone's sig that SEGA is closing down? "Let's Save Sega!"? I think it was...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Remember, kids: Quality is more important than quantity!

...And we're talking about quantity only, here. Sonic Team games had the best quality back then, but now the best engines are property of many other development groups, even inside SEGA. =(

8. Everlast

Everlast

Pending Member
    I say that its 1994 all over again

9. ClavierTekky

ClavierTekky

That was my sig. ;)

It could be... but who knows? I checked EBgames.com, and a lot of people hate Sonic Heroes for PS2. For Gamecube and Xbox, they are both ok.

10. Drakmyth

Drakmyth

Inspector Drakmyth Master at your service. Oldbie
    In the void beneath the ancient maze...
    Sonic Eclipse 2, Return of the Hidden Palace, Unnamed Sonic 2 Hack
    Ya know what they should do, is like Nintendo is doing with mario. Re-release all the original Sonic games with upped graphics and little extra tidbits. (Possibly the original HPZ?! *winkwink*) Anyway, that would be a pretty good idea IMO. The original Sonic games (1-3) are classics and it seems, from what I've heard, the people that didn't like that adventure series didn't like it because it was too different from the original.

11. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    the thing is, theyve already brought out mega collection so there would be no point in that.

12. come back?

someone tell me a year in which sonic team didnt have a game out?

13. Fiz

Fiz

FACKIN' BIG PENIS Oldbie
    PENIS
    1916, 1940, and 1975. [/stupidity]

I don't really think they are making a comeback. SonicTeam's games haven't been that good lately in my opinion. :\

14. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I think they need to get out of this "3D = good, 2D = bad" mentality. More 2D games please, Sonic 1 through 3K were better IMO.

15. Badass Cyborg

Badass Cyborg

TX
    The simplicity of a (new) 2D Sonic game, would draw the crowd of retro gamers back onto the "Sonic Scene", and would increase SEGA's profits - but for some reason, SEGA is having a hard time realizing this. I suppose it all reverts back to Quick Man's quote:

16. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    They need to come out with a Sonic Mega Collection 2, with all the Sega CD, Saturn games. They might get something off that as well. I'm agreeing with Quick Man, on the fact that they should they get stop thinking about 3D gaming. Unless Sonic Team makes the levels harder, the games will not be as fun to play. Frankly, I think they've been trying to make Sonic and crew look realer and realer, than they are of trying to make gameplay better. I also think they should remake Sonic 2 with all the levels they took out for the GBA. I mean, isn't the Genesis like the Super Nintendo? If it is, then they should easily be able to remake the games. But even so, I think their 2D games for the GBA blow as well. When you first play the old games, there was a challenge to the game as you got into later levels. At many parts even. Now when you play the newer ones, there only seems to be one troubling part in later levels, IMO. I think they could do a lot better on actual gameplay.

17. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I agree, Sonic Advance levels were pretty easy, but those Special Stages were hard in my opinion. I truly despise those.

18. ClavierTekky

ClavierTekky

I agree. I mean, even just a port of all the old games to the GBA would be a better GBA game than the new Sonic Advance ones. (Well, you could use a GBA cart for that.) Also, Sega must realize that there are these Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 Fanboys who adore their consoles so much, but most of these people agree that GBA is one of the best portable gaming consoles. As a suggestion, Sega should pump out more Sonic 2D games for the GBA that are challenging like Sonic Heroes.

19. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    the point your missing people, is it won't be beneficial to the company in any way to re-release sonic 2 'with extra bits', and 'all the megaCD and Saturn games? Like, um 3? not exactly a 'collection' is it?

20. Icy Guy

Icy Guy

Hedgehog. Sonic the Hedgehog. Member
    California
    GoldenEye 007 level hack
    I don't know if that's necessarily the case. In an interview in the Sonic Advance 2 guide, Naka gives his opinion on this:

"Would you like to do a new 2-D Sonic title on a console?

If the opportunity presents itself, then, yes, I'd like to do one."

Granted, Naka's opinion doesn't represent Sega's as a whole, but as this is a Sonic community, we're mainly interested in what's going to happen with Sonic, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.