don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The one you used above is one of his older versions. He wants to make his animate fluidly like Death of Rats' mock-up did.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    To stir the idea pot some, we're not only looking for original pieces of concept art for the zones. If anyone comes across an image with characteristics they think would fit stylistically in ARZ or CPZ, those are welcome. Still not ideal, but it will at least give us something more to work off, and hopefully spark some discussion along the way.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Eh, would you care to show the mock-up, pretty please with cherries and sausages on top?

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Death of Rats' mock-up
    [​IMG]
    Exodus' last mock-up he posted here
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    The transition between slow and fast flow is so rough that the water looks like it's bending at a 90 degree angle.

Well, maybe 135.

6. A quick google search:
    http://www.footagehousehd.com/waterfalls.htm
    Some "HD" waterfall videos. Note the particles, the whiteness and how bright they are. Also other waterfalls running slowly (not whitewater) are clear and distort whatever's in the background. Others (more water mass) have depth to them and darker colour beneath the white spray that you get. I realise the waterfalls will be used in dark and light areas, so it's hard to get the brightness right but I'm only trying to give ideas on how it could be improved - more particles (at the moment it is solid, maybe some transparency at the edges?), brighter, maybe less symmetry or different speed at the edges to the middle (slower edges), and hints of deep blue or the wall behind the water being distorted.

This should give you a good idea:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri66Wb7PiuM...feature=related

7. Flare

Flare

One of my favourite objects in Sonic games...
    [​IMG]

8. rctneil

rctneil

Looks good but I think the star needs to be more white in it's entirety. Too much blue on the actual star.

Regards,
    Neil

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    This is looking good but I also agree that the star doesn't look right with the shades of blue. Also it would look better if the bottom points of the star matched the way the other points do. I think the original only did that because of the limitations on how small the pixels could be.

10. rctneil

rctneil

I agree with the above. The tips of the stars would look much better touching the outsides of the yellow ring

11. Flare

Flare

[​IMG]

Less blue and somewhat better star.

12. kcowolf

kcowolf

Oldbie
    I think the outer ring looks more orange than dark-red.

13. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    The bumper should defiantly be more red and the star itself is misshaped (look at it side ways). It should bu centered and maybe bulged out a little as if it's on a sphere.

Best example I could find:
    [​IMG]

You could also reference the spinning spheres from the S&K+S1 NO WAY! screen.

14. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Awesome Flare! I like the (purple) glow at the bottom, as it is close to the style of Sonic 3's object shading. I also like the star. Maybe the red color needs to be more red. But the shapes and shades are really nice!

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That looks nice, but I agree about the red color being off.

I think you should aim for it to look a bit more like these:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Another example of real bumpers:
    [​IMG]

16. We need to make it look like a bumper, so make the yellow and blue bits stick out.

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Honestly, that is like the only time I've ever seen that thing and have it look actually like a pinball bumper. The only thing I'd want is maybe for the red part to be a little translucent. Well, that and a little red.

18. The points on the star are now not the same size. You should go back to the one before, move the whole thing and center it and then resize it. :colbert:

19. Flare

Flare

[​IMG]

More detail, doesn't always mean better but I suppose every angle needs considered.

20. Looking sweet. It would be cool if we could make them light up when you impact on them... but that would be going beyond the original.