don't click here

Sonic Odyssey!

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by SephyUK, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKSFxp22O8" target="_blank">CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO</a>
    Yes, I do realize that there is a problem with the title screen, and that not much has happened, but for those of you who are lazy bastards, here are some screen shots of what I have done so far.
    [​IMG]
    OH MY GOD TAILS. Also, Big Ring from the Warp Zone.
    [​IMG]
    Some new art that I am working on for SYZ.
    [​IMG]
    GHZ's warp zone, with incorporated Big Rings.
    Features (already incorporated):
    Spindash (SCD style, because I like it. Don't like it? Shut your piehole)
    Jumpdash (Thanks to Selbi for that one)
    Giant Warp Rings (Thanks to Armada for various bits and pieces of help for that one)
    Tails! (still a WIP, but hey)
    4th acts (not done, layout wise yet. =P)

Features (To Be Added):
    Menus
    Tails with the ability to fly
    Possibly S3K shields
    Customized art for each level, rather than just SYZ and MZ at the moment. =P
    MAYBE Knuckles, probably not though.
    And more.....

So please, comment, criticize etc. and I'll keep you posted.

Oh, and before you ask, I'm not going to tell you when you can expect a release, I'll release it when I damn well feel like it, k? And don't expect one in the next 2 months, because I have a lot of work to do, bugwise.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    So... Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition, basically.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing any originality or particular appeal in this at all. All of the technical features present in this hack were programmed by everyone else, your hack's very concept is already implemented—and better, I might add—in another, infinitely more popular hack, and the only original part of this hack—the art—isn't particularly well put-together.

Where are the layouts? Where's the new music? Where's any of the stuff that actually matters? I'm sorry, but you're going off in the complete opposite direction if you're trying to make an enjoyable hack here. I seriously suggest you go back to the drawing board and revise your plans, because so far I don't see this becoming anything good in the near future.

3. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    .. wow. Apart from some great ideas (as they are all mine too :U), it's a shame about the implementation of it right now. Let's go through these features..

I love the SCD spindash, but this isn't it. You have to charge up the SCD spindash before you can release it for a boost. This is basically a instant roll boost, more like Sonic 2's.

Jump dash seems to be all the rage these days (including with myself), but you need to give it a purpose.

Apart from the obvious graphics glitches, I always love it when these are used for warping around. :3

A very WIP. You need Tails's Tails in there, need to fix the height, etc..

Again, bindun, but if you do it right, then it should be good.

It's never a good idea to make a list like this, especially public. If you don't deliver, for whatever reason, it makes you feel like crap, and makes everyone else think the same.

You may have wanted to wait a little further into making this before showing it off here. Right now, it doesn't exactly have much polish. I can see where you're coming from with it, and I see potential.. but right now, it really isn't that brilliant. Keep it up, though, and we'll see where it goes.

4. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Well, I am trying to be more original when it comes to features, but it seems that every feature under the sun has been done, so there really is no originality these days.

Also, Tweaker, layouts etc aren't very far along, because I've only been working on this for like, a week, but I'm still working on it. :P

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Aside from completing a game with no features.

6. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    Fixed.

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Well I like it. :) Keep it up, although the only thing I could suggest is next time, take screenshots in the actual size.

8. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Hey, it isn't my fault that Fusion takes pictures that size. Plus, I couldn't be bothered to change the size. =P

9. Impish

Impish

If you have to use Kega, why don't you just use PrtSc, the go into paint and cut out the normal sized picture. Apart from that, this looks like a good hack, but I'm looking at it as a more educational endeavor, because S1EE has most of these features.

10. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Well it is sort of a combination of an educational experience for me, but also a proper hack. Like, I have done my fair share in my time, but this is my first full blown one.

Anyway, this is what I've been working on today:
    [​IMG]
    All of the selections are currently selectable. They don't actually do anything yet, though, but making it so I can go through this menu is a massive accomplishment for me.

Also, if anyone can help me with fixing the background, I would be so happy and thankful, and you will get credit for it.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Please change it background it clashes. You need darker background.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I once made a small tutorial about taking proper screenshots, you can find it here.

13. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Of what, the menu, or the first picture in the first post?
    If the menu, I'm working on it.
    If the first picture of the first post, then I'll probably deal with that later.
    As for now, I'm currently working on getting the menu to do what I want it to do.

EDIT: Also, wanted to say a big thanks to qiuu for creating PlanEd, without which these mappings for the options screen would have been a nightmare, and also one of his posts in the Basic Q&A thread helped me with the which text is being highlighted problem. Thanks, even though you probably didn't try to help me. :P

14. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Double post, but now the menu works! Currently, you can select Sonic or Tails as your character via this menu, and I'm working on the difficulty section next! Also, the control scheme, and the continue button do not work as of now, but eventually they will!
    I also wanted to thank GerbilSoft and andlabs for helping me out with jump tables!

15. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    While it is taken from another game, I suggested him some new art with this mockup:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, art is from pulseman, but it's at least easier on the eyes. =V

16. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    So I took his advice and came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    I haven't completed the background yet, but the foreground is pretty much finished. What do you guys think?
    Also, thanks, Hitaxas. :P

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    That background is still painful.

18. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Yeah, haven't touched that yet. I'll work on that in the morning when I wake up though, because I'm tired.

19. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Bump.
    Update:
    [​IMG]
    Fixed the background, and also the palette. Now it is actually standable!
    [​IMG]
    New BG art for the Over-world level. Thanks to DalekSam for providing the original art file.

20. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    And our eyes are safe once more!

Seriously though, them's some nice palettes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.