don't click here

Eggmen

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by El Gran Gordo, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsychoHog

PsychoHog

New Jersey
    Locating music in Sound Tests for classic Sonic games
    I'd love to see someone do all this informative kind of stuff for Tails or Knuckles.

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Archie's second Robotnik has always held up on his side in a temporary coup as well, only indirectly backstabbing Sonic and co. once. (Which doesn't really count, if you know which one I'm talking about.)

Yeah, he'd be my favorite for a reason you stated, he has fun being evil, not always angry, not overly serious.

3. They don't have the sort of backstory, though. As the OP shows, Eggman is usually given an origin story, whereas Sonic, Tails, and sometimes even Knuckles are a bit more ambiguous on their origin.

...I just realized El Gran Gordo reduces to EGG...

4. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    Excellent article, Gordo. I honestly never thought Eggman was such an interesting character until reading that. Prior, I considered E-102y to be one of the most dynamic and well-developed characters of the SoJ storyline, but I think to analyze Gamma you'd have to understand SoJ Eggman as well.

Enjoyable read, cheers.

5. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah, this. For a list..

1. SOJ
    2. OVA
    3. Sonic X Anime
    4. AOSTH (though NOT the design)

Everything else is meh and uninteresting IMO, generic villain 101, sometimes borrowing the good points of the other versions to make him more interesting, but to me, it's completely lost. Man of the Year is hillarious and lovable, but it's so short that I can't really include him on the list and I could say the same for Secret Rings version. I'm very partial to Nega, sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't. The Sonic X comic is funny, which I like, but he was never a real threat, though since it was never the objective of the comic on the first place, I can give him the fifth position.

Word :eng101:

I love this art, but I think it's not Ivo, at least the last character is a 'c' not a 'o'.

6. El Gran Gordo

El Gran Gordo

Yosh Member
    Reposting from SSMB:

From a design standpoint, I find one convention very, very interesting indeed.

Blue pince-nez glasses versus black hole eyes(Usually with red pupils). Let's see what we've got.

Glasses
    Sega of Japan Eggman (Confirmed to have normal eyes underneath his glasses in Sonic Advance and Sonic 2K6)
    Dr. Eggman Nega
    King Shahryar
    Sonic OVA Dr. Eggman (Confirmed to have normal eyes underneath glasses)
    Sonic X Anime Dr. Eggman
    Sonic X Comic Dr. Eggman
    Archie's OVA Robotnik
    Mayor Kintobor
    Man of the Year Short Dr. Eggman

Black Hole Eyes
    Sega of America Robotnik
    AoStH Robotnik
    SatAM Robotnik
    Underground Robotnik
    Underground Robotnik (Alternate heroic self)
    Archie Robotnik Prime
    Archie's Underground Robotnik
    Ivanna Robotina
    Fleetway Robotnik (However, his previous identity as Kintobor has the familiar blue glases)

Both
    Archie Dr. Eggman
    Dr. Ivo Kintobor? (He has these in his first appearance, and later is seen wearing glasses. We assume, then, that underneath his eyes are still like this.)

There are some interesting correlations with these designs. Usually the glasses-wearers are more bombastic, funloving, and (to varying degrees) somewhat more prone to express positive traits, while the black-hole eye versions lean more to being bitter, angry, and much more irredeemably evil.

Exceptions to this "rule" are the psychotically evil Eggman Nega(Who wears pointy shades instead of pince-nez), as well as the usually-harmless AoStH Robotnik. Both of these behave more like representatives of the other "side", so to speak. The heroic Underground alternate is an outlier due to being so vastly different.

As for the two versions who have both of these, they're appropriately at two opposite extremes- Who I would consider the most evil Robotnik(Archie Eggman) and the most good Robotnik (Dr. Ivo Kintobor). It's interesting that the two of them have both traits of the design conventions.

As for my personal preference? Glasses all the way. If Eggman's eyes must be shown(And I prefer them to not be), I'd rather they be ordinary human eyes without any weird deformations, as in the OVA.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    ...my mind is now broken. I never spotted that, either =P

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I just HAD to laugh at that one - that definitely sums up the AoStH Robotnik alright! And also this

An excellent read alright :thumbsup: Although I was hoping for a little more thought of the STC Robotnik really; but still, I loved it when you said he was "absolutely stark-raving mad, and that was before his mental breakdown." - very true, lol

9. Leonard the Genie

Leonard the Genie

Prices aren't the only thing getting slashed Member
    I do remember the Archie (?) Robotnik had normal eyes when he got crushed under the swinging checkered ball in the early issues. I suppose it's just some kind of contact lens, which would make sense. There is no way that simple human eyes could produce light (SatAM)

10. NeKit

NeKit

Russia
    Sonic SCANF
    I have a strange version about his name. If I write it in Russian - ????????, "?????" can be a root, meaning "robot", and "-???" can be a suffix, meaning "type of occupation". So it can be translated as "A man, who creates/works with robots".

11. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I gave up reading the 1st post, but what I read was highly informative...

and what NeKit wrote in previous post does make sense, and I myself always thought the name was Russian... and Ivo is a name of my uncle, lol

12. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    *thumbs up*

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    AoStH Robotnik might be harmless, but it's not for lack of trying. In fact, I'd say that he's the most evil version of the character, his attempted acts of violence and terrorism seem to be ends rather than means to some other objective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.