don't click here

The Perfect Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Leo, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo

Leo

Hello there fellow Sonic Retro members,
    :) First of all, please excuse my bad english, it's not my native language, and I do the best I can.

:eng101: As you already know, SONIC CD IS one of the best 2D platforming games ever released, and it's the unpopular brother of Sonic 2, however it's already a cult classic.
    But if you have tried playing it, you should already know that there are a lot of versions, from the original Mega CD, trough the edited SEGA CD, PC, and in Sonic Gems Collection.

Every version has flaws, in the US version, you have a Really cool theme-song, but the ingame music has been ..ehm.. changed slightly from the original, and it doesn't fit the levels as well as the original.
    The Japanese version, had a so-so theme song, and very good music, however there are some bugs (I believe there was a thread here about bugs in SCD(J) ).
    PC port suffers from a horrible FPS drop, and it's a pain to make it run in XP or later OS'.
    Sonic Gems Collection version has awesome quality Full Motion Videos where you can even see the paper's texture, but the emulation is ... awful, just by telling you that Tidal Tempest's water is not coloured :v: , and after you unlock special stages in Time Attack mode, there are weird bugs with the BGs.

So, I've seen that in these forums there are some people that Hack Sonic games, make their own creations, etc.
    My idea is (if you haven't figured out already) "what about making the best Sonic CD version",
    I would like you to tell me how "possible" is this, and what skills will I need if I would like to do this "Hack", I have started a course to learn programming (im in the first year), and, since it would not imply making the game from Zero, maybe it's a possible project.

Please, leave your comments or ideas below,
    See you around.

2. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I think there would be too much debate regarding the music to choose the 'best' one, because there's just too many people especially in hardcore retro sonic communities as to which one is better. It also really depends on what you grew up with.

And regarding the bugs, I'm fairly sure the binary to the J and U versions are moreorless the same? The emulation issues are just that, they're bugs because of the different hardware. And I never noticed a low FPS on the PC version, and with the patch I've never had troubles getting it to run.

Hey! I just realized I actually legally own the Sega CD, PC and GCN versions of this game. That's neat.

3. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    I dunno, I tried the PC-version as well as the version found in Gems Collection, and to me, personally, it's just average. So I don't think, regardless of version, that there can be something such as a Sonic CD I would deem perfect.

As for the soundtrack, that, too, is a matter of opinion. For example, I think the US-soundtrack is vastly superior compared to the Japanese/EU-soundtrack, and others prolly disagree.

4. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I know one way to solve the music problem. Have the different soundtracks selectable as an option. Like "original" and "American", with a sample of the opening theme playing for each soundtrack when you highlight one and it can later changed in game by options setting, in case you don't like your choice.

5. Then it wouldn't be possible to fit onto a Sega CD, if that was the target platform.

6. Leo

Leo

I've grown up with the US soundtrack (My very first game was SONIC CD for sega-pc, one of my most treasured discs ever) however lately I started listening to the JAP/EU one, at first I was "MEH" but when I started listening closer, and comparing both soundtracks, I found out that most of the music in the US soundtrack, could be perfectly emulated by the PCM sound, and even sound better (since its louder), the american version has less techno music and more like an "elevator music" style.

7. JDAdams

JDAdams

What's wrong with the framerate in the PC version? It certainly has the larger FMV and correct water colouring over the various other versions, although it does use the US soundtrack. I've always thought that taking the PC game and using the Mega-CD disc as a soundtrack, or burning one separately, would give the optimum experience. Also there is an XP fix here > http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=3231. By the way, are all versions drawn at 320x224 or do either the PC version or Gems bump this up to 640x448?

8. Leo

Leo

PC runs at 320x240, windowed or fullscreen.
    Gems I believe they use 640x448 because you can see detailed FMVs , but maybe there is a "resolution change" between the FMVs and the gameplay.

9. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    And I believe that the JP/EU soundtrack is superior than the US. It's just that unfitting. The songs are good, the problem is, they don't fit the area they are in. The JP one does, however. Just take a listen to the Tidal Tempest.

[/Soundtrack_Wars]

For me, the best Sonic CD is the original, that's right, the (J) version. I refuse to play (E) games and the US soundtrack is what I have mentioned beforehand.

10. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    "Fitting" doesn't make the track good in my opinion. Labyrinth Zone fitted pretty well, as did Windmill Isle, but it made for some of the most boring stage music I heard in the entire series.

11. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I suppose it could be done but it would be difficult and would lead to a reduction in quality of the music. You could, for example, store the CDA music in heavily compressed PCM files like Lunar: Eternal Blue did. In fact, this way looping the tracks and the like would work!

12. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    Simular story. When I first played Sonic CD, it was the US version and I thought the music is cool. Then I heard the argument that someone likes the JP music better and others - the US version. So I started listening to the JP soundtracks and first I thought it was garbage. But then after a few days of listening I quckly changed my mind. Still the US version of the Special Stage OWNS the JP one.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I liked the Japanese soundtrack as soon as I listened to it.

Anyways, my perfect Sonic CD would have to change that awful spindash, change the sprites to Sonic 2 sprites, and fixing the sound effects. Then we'd have it.

14. synchronizer

synchronizer

R2 level based on the one seen in the extended ending of Sonic Jam. Plus, Final fever, with more of a one-on-one final battle with Eggman and Metal Sonic.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And how exactly do you know what Final Fever was supposed to be? How do you know it was even meant to exist? Maybe it was just the name of the final battle song. And how could you of had a one on one with Metal is he was destroyed in Stardust Speedway?

Although I am curious what R2 was supposed to be.

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

I don't really know if Final Fever was supposed to be a final Zone or not. I just think it would be better than the original Final Boss, which seemed a bit too non-final boss like to me. Plus, Eggman could rebuild Metal Sonic.

17. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    In all honesty, I place Sonic CD right at the bottom of the fun spectrum of the 4 16bit platformers. Near the middle of the quality spectrum, but oi... give me Sonic 2 any day of the week.

To me, a more ideal game would be Sonic 3+K with SCD's high contrast visuals, more animated boss art, and uh... actually, thats about all I really like a whole lot in SCD.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I prefer Sonic CD's fast stages to Sonic 2's fast stages because they require a little more input and reaction -- CPZ is mostly just hop a few springs and just roll and you win, in act 1 anyway. Perhaps I'd feel a bit differently if Sonic 2 had a time attack, but Sonic CD is really the only game that really felt like it was designed with it in mind for most of the way through.

In general I prefer the idea of having more stages, and having all of them be relatively short, only a few minutes each. Sonic Adventure was pretty good about this, especially. It would contribute a lot to the "pick-up-and-play" nature of the series, and make time attacking much less irritating.

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I don't care about length anywhere near as much as I care about variety... and S3K definitely delivers on that front... at least for the most part. A few stages break down at certain points... Launch Base I, Marble Garden, and Sandopolis II probably being the biggest offenders.

20. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    My perfect Sonic 2 would have to change that awful spindash, change the sprites to Sonic CD sprites, and fixing the sound effects. Then we'd have it.

...now I've gone and revealed my secret hack plans! Oh no!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.