don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scubaSteve

scubaSteve

Sonic 2HD - Music Coordinator Member
    OH, US
    Listening to them again I think the main problem is that they're too dark and dirty and frankly very club-oriented. Every Sonic track I can think of (from any game), even the dark and dirty ones, have some sort of upbeat or energetic twist to them, but with your tracks I'm really not feeling much energy at all. I'd say that your Metropolis remix is definitely more energetic than your Emerald Hill, but neither of them reach that critical Sonic-level energy.
    Hey, if you want to say my mastering sucks, just say it -- I'd be likely to agree. I'm not an expert on mastering of any sort, I just kind of wing it based on the small amounts of knowledge I have on the subject (and I certainly don't have any professional mastering gear, so even with the right techniques it'll probably sound sub-par anyhow). Seriously though, could you be more specific as to what the problem is? I keep getting all these cryptic criticisms from everyone lately...
    Yes - if you want to post some presets, go right ahead! I've been using Reason for a while (so any of the synths in there), but I've been moving away from it lately. I have a bunch of free synths (Automat, Crystal... more I can't remember), and also Massive (which I'm completely addicted to at the moment).
    If I may field the question, it's actually ransomrath, which would explain why you couldn't find it :P
    It's here: www.ransomrath.com/planetskill/metropolis.mp3

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yup, "happy 100 pages Music Remastered!" ^^

About the previous pages contributions I can say that siditious show a very "Remixed" style which fits great as "Tribute", but not faithful enough to be the main in-Game "remasterings" tracks. They may have its place as well tough, so keep em coming! :(

Scuba's work and its usual Uber excited public consensus (Me included), clearly shows the path we are currently aiming for, as per quality / added HD effects / Energy of the original tracks into S2HD Music Remasterings.

So, anything you need to significantly improve your tracks, just listen him.

P.s. Tweaker, your Wing Fortress Track was pretty powerful, do you have a remastering of Boss Theme?

3. Its in this forum topic on page 58 or something (cant remember exactly). I had to go through lots of pages to find it.

EDIT:
    Scubasteve said:
    If I may field the question, it's actually ransomrath, which would explain why you couldn't find it :P
    It's here: www.ransomrath.com/planetskill/metropolis.mp3

Cheers Scubasteve

4. Shanesan

Shanesan

That sounds like a good start. Optimizations could lead that to actually being really good. (I understand that Metropolis Zone is supposed to be very tin, metal, etc, but I think it was taken a little too far).

5. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Personally I really like that version of metropolis.

But I am a metalhead XD I think it stays true to the original while sounding freaking awesome!

6. Sytrus can be made compatible with the Genesis presets. You can take the oscillator routings and recreate them using the mod matrix.

As for samples, I can provide some. I'm currently converting the original Roland S-50, S-550, and S-760 library...at least the disk images that are not corrupt. I can provide other samples too:

Check out the sounds at these links. If any patch sounds interesting, let me know and I can record it from my unit, or take your MIDI and record it.

Roland JV-2080 (I actually have an XV-3080)
    SR-JV80 Session Expansion
    SR-JV80 Techno Expansion
    SR-JV80 House Expansion
    Roland D-550
    D-50 Expansion 1
    D-50 Expansion 2
    D-50 Expansion 3
    D-50 Expansion 4
    Korg TR-Rack. Jun Senoue used this in the SA, SA2, SH soundtracks
    Proteus 2000. This keyboard is similar in sound.
    E-MU Orbit 3 (Beat Garden)
    E-MU Orbit 3 (TSCY)

7. siditious

siditious

Well, I've noticed quite a while has gone between posts, I'm still pretty new to this project so I was wondering what in specific you guys were working on right now so I'm not just throwing random mixes in and shaking things up. I'd really like to work with you guys and help make this game bad ass, I also have some minor programming experience and have coded several little games using Game Maker which has been used to emulate classic Sonic very well.

anyways, ya I already have mixes for all the songs but I can see I'll probably need to do some reworking. =)

8. Mesmonium

Mesmonium

London
    Hey I havent been on for a long time due to studies. Very hectifc. At any rate I will use the feedback everyone gave to me and work on my version of oil ocean.

9. The Moogs

The Moogs

Oldbie
    The drums at the beginning of the Metropolis track are slightly off from what I remember, but the overall track is amazing.

10. Shanesan

Shanesan

After a re-review, I agree with this, for the exception of the very beginning guitar. Everything else is, as stated, awesome.

...and it gets better the more I listen to it.

11. siditious

siditious

I listened to the metal remix of Metropolis, very cool IMO. =)

The guitars are very muddy, I think it could have benefited to have some experienced studio tech or just some better microphones... other than that very cool mix!

12. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    I may be wrong, but I believe it was created completely electronically.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Good news... There has been the issue with the quality of audio when it's time stretched. Well Propellerhead have done a new audio application called Record that has crystal clear real time stretching capababilities. While this might not be useful as a program, it does prove that it can be done without affecting the audio quality.

Check the time stretch section....

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reco...article=arrange

14. Thewoog

Thewoog

You know, this person on Youtube did a couple of Sonic remixes, and Oil Ocean is one of them. I want you guys to hear it. If you like it you can ask the creator permission to use it.

Oil Ocean Orchestral Remix

15. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    We can't do that. All music for Sonic 2 HD has to be composed exclusively for the game. At least, that's my understanding.

Besides, it's not as good as some versions we already have.

16. ancara

ancara

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z2wgq7

After a bit of a while of not-being-here-ness, I thought I'd show what I've been up to: a try at remastering Wing Frotress(dunno if it was decided yet on which one it would be yet). I thought that since this is a Wing FORTRESS, I'd try to give it that feeling that you were running through Robotnik's (at the time) greatest airship. I tried to capture that feeling the only way I knew how to get it to work: with some metal ( \M/ ) to make it sound hardcore, like a fortress that truely seemed dangerous and hard to overcome.

I hope I made it sound right, and if it needs works, then tell me and I'll try to fix it up a bit, ok? :3

17. Listen to this. It's an orchestral remix of Green Hill Zone and really is of high quality. Olivier, the girl who made it, is really talented. I think she could make a great contribution. She's talented at composing with many types of instruments. S2HD would sound great with a combination of violins and electric guitars. Should I send her an email requesting her help?

18. The synth guitars make the piece fall flat on it's face. You're going to need good quality sound to make that kind of piece sound decent.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I also have a feeling you're going to make this too heavy for the ears and therefore it might quickly become repetitive. This song would also overwhelm the sound-effects, such as jumping.

20. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    It couldn't hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.