don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. no shadows in real life are pitch black, and the underneath of those high res rings look pitch black

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Your metallic renders have looked just as good as TW's toon based ones in their own way Gambit. If that's the style you feel showcases your ring best, concentrate on that for the final comparison :v:

5. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright, a new batch. These things are retardedly glossy, but the color, shadows, and everything else is great, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like how I start off with a cool looking metallic shader and it ends up being cartoony and glossy. XD

6. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    I really like this new batch. Seems to blend in nicely with the enviroment.

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    If you had removed the wet plastic effect from it would have been nice indeed! ^^

Anyway, due our need to "Approve" Rings and so move onto the next important art, we'll let both of you make improvements until tomorrow evening. (around 21.00GMT, to be exact)
    Once that time's past a final comparison will be made.

Thanks for your contributions, and.. Keep it going! ^^

8. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
  9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  10. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright, well I guess I'll be trying to remove the retarded amount of gloss on these. I've been rendering with mental ray, and it seems to handle specular lighting differently from the built-in maya renderer. So when I tell a light to not emit specular, they still emit it for some reason. I'm gonna mess with adding mental ray light nodes to the maya lights (the ones I've been using) in hopes that I can get some of them to not emit all that specular shading. If all that doesn't work, I'm gonna have to improvise somehow, and I can't just render it with the built-in maya renderer since the shader I'm using will only render with mental ray.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    They look more like "glass" than "gold"

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Due the amount and haste needed for us to test Art with, just an "Approved" quality ring would suffice at this time. (instead of countless reworkings process taking months)
    I mean, everyone wants to play S2HD before we grow old don't we? :colbert:

So, the deadline remains for tomorrow. Throw in your best stuff guys!

13. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright boys, pick yer poison.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My money is on the first one and the last one. I did a less glossy version of that earlier ring, but it still looks kinda funky. It looks nice, but kinda funky. The one to the right of that is the next one I whipped up and I decided that I was going to go with a metallic look for them after that (I think this one looks sweet, but it's a little too dirty for this). The last two on the right are variants of the middle one, but the one on the far left is a variant of the original plastic-esque one. I did some stuff to it and it ended up looking exactly like the one on the far right minus the metallic look.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I can't pick any of those, seeing how you didn't bother changing its shape, which is still wrong.

Again, the original:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And TyrantWave's most faithful version (which should be approved for now, if nothing else gets closer to the original):
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Ace work.
    Of all the bunch number 3 is the one worth "gold" to me.

Despite his plastic or sunbursted brothers, It is indeed looking like a real "golden ring", keeping the detailed & sharpness without match so far.

What it detracts from being integrated are:

-The dark outlines (Always get rid of them! :colbert: )
    -The overall dark colours (Don\'t change the shadows - light balance! Only entirely Brighten it up abit!)

Nice work on this one.

P.s. I really hate to put this sort of cut, but at the present shape Rings do express its own natural beauty & quality to be "Approved".
    Wasting another week just to test a resized S1 special stage "Wedding Ring", and therefore eventually discouraging artist during the process, is something we can't allow. Please do understand. ^^

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    So you like the darkest one, eh? I can probably make it less grimdark. I'll have to toy with it.

ICEknight, the shape of the ring can be changed much easier than the shaders and the lighting. Once the lighting and shading is done, changing the polygon will be fairly simple. So don't worry about that, it'll be taken care of.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Telling the flaws of a 3D model that should be trying to mimic a very specific shape shoudln't be discouraging... In fact, approving something that doesn't look much like the original source can be discouraging to the people who actually try to keep things faithful.

Just saying.

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Alright, here's an update, it's not a dramatic improvement, but I figured I'd see if this is the right track.

Top is the old, bottom is the new.
    [​IMG]

Left is old, right is new.
    [​IMG]

I whipped up a ring that's closer to the original sprite. The lighting looks to need a bit of tweaking if I go with this, but this is what it looks like with the most recent version of that metallic shader.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  20. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I think the shape could use a little work around the edge. It seems a little thin, but that's the basic shape for ya. :)