don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I thought the new version did now. =S

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yes, it does.

3. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Haha, time to update :D

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Perhaps you don't understand what I meant. If we're going to remove cheats, we're going to do it right, which involves removing the relevant routines from the game entirely. Loading savestates from Sonic 1—or even any previous version of Megamix—will not magically enable cheats.

Don't think you're smarter than us when it comes to these things. :colbert:

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

Of course loading an old savestate of Sonic 1 won't work, the game was a complete port to the SegaCD and many RAM values and locations in the ROM changed. =P

Now you're going to deliberately make the 4.0b saves not work. :/

6. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I was expecting a post similar to this, actually. xD

7. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Forgive me for asking... but will the Test Level be playable, or not? LS was the only way to play it in 4.0b.

Of course, I don't mean to ask whether it will be in the main game; that's a stupid question. I mean to ask if it'll be an unlockable, on the screen where Zones are selected after you clear the game.

8. TiagoJ7

TiagoJ7

It's really great that you're carrying on with the project. It's definitely a good one and I wish all the best.

Great progress. *thumbs up*

9. Digital Xeron

Digital Xeron

[An error occurred while processing this custom ti Oldbie
    Unicomplex One, Canada
    Digibase Operations (TSZP)
    In my opinion,

Regarding savestate disabling: I respect the developers' idea that they want this game to be exceedingly difficult, but deliberately crippling an emulator function that merely allows resuming of the game at a specified point, should be out of the question as it's some people's only method for getting anywhere in the game.

As for cheats - some game players like to explore the game rather than having to play it through. One possible idea is if someone uses a cheat, it sets a "has_cheated" flag of some sort and that flag indicates they can't get the "best ending" of the game -- That would be a potential compromise.

10. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Why would you want the cheats though? For example, Level Select... wasn't the original concept of the idea for people without save to play, stop, and then play from where they left off? (I may be wrong here, but that's how I used it in some games)

The game DOES save to RAM so it's not like level selects are necessary.

Same goes for stuff like debug- it was probably accidental it being left in the Sonic games. We're not debugging or testing this game for Tweaker and Team Megamix, they're obviously competent enough to do it themselves.

I don't get the whole furore. :colbert:

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The savestate format used in Gens/GS and Gens Rerecording saves the SRAM in the savestate. :colbert: (Also BRAM and cartridge RAM for SegaCD games.)

12. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Uh guys. You say savestate disabling. I'm sorry, but that's not possible. However, don't try to load a level select screen savestate; it'll fail hard. No savestate from a prior version would work anyway, because I am already seeing many changes to the game that would require many changes to the memory format. A savestate is nothing more than a dump of core components of the system, such as the memory.

Nice try though!

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ah, in any case it seems I misunderstood. Still no reason to have it take up valuable memory space if the routine's not going to be used, eh?

14. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    Eh? Who said magically enabling cheats? And trading savestates? That seems sort of stupid. No, considering the game allows you to save and keep saves for all characters and their stats, why not just trade a copy of a complete sram? I mean, did everyone forget the KISS rule or what?

15. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Oh its very possible actually.... ;)

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Unlikely. What are the chances that debug mode was accidentally left in 4 games (I don't think you can access it in Sonic & Knuckles but you can if you lock on Sonic 3)

17. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    ;) How is a game supposed to know it was loaded from a savestate? A savestate doesn't tell a game, "Hi. I'm a saved version of your game." It can't. A savestate is a dump of registers and memory. And the last time I checked, there is no such thing as the "savestate" flag in memory. Also, do realize a processor doesn't store the last visited code address. But even if it did, a savestate saves registers and memory, so the last visited code address has to be saved with it.

The only way to throttle savestates is to a) use incompatible savestate formats that only work in certain emulators or b) modify the hardware to have a savestate-throttling mechanism. Choice a would do nothing to help the problem; choice b is unrealistic for an old console (especially for a 15+ year old console) and futile for a new console (someone somewhere along the line would figure the hardware out and circumvent it).

18. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Yeah, but it's not like the debug mode was of any real use to people. If anything, the casual gamer just thought of it as "OH COOL, LOL, I'm A RING :3"

19. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    All youse guys who are complaining about not being able to use savestates are just plain lazy. I'm really looking forward to this. I loved the last release, and couldn't be happier to hear it's still being worked on. I treat Megamix like a professional Mega CD release, so I think it's clever of everyone behind it to encourage us to play it like one. Not just a skip-along find-the-new-features appreciation of what hackers can do.

20. OOOOOO.

Nice to see this project back up and charging ahead at full speed!

That custom boss made my day. I hope this time, all runs smoothly to final release.

I wish best of luck to the Megamix Team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.