don't click here

Old Sonic fangames

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sik, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
  2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Probably my personal favorite of the fan games that I created and actually finished. Klik & Play all the way!

Sonic Boom! was the first Klik & Play fan game on the internet, followed by Tails' Quest for 100 Rings. The latter convinced me to buy Klik & Play and try my hand at some games. Those were good days where you could make shit and shit would fly!

EDIT:
    http://www3.telus.net/cedars/finaldownloads.htm
    It's too bad all the links are broken T_T

3. Cyberblade

Cyberblade

Can't catch me ya bastard! Member
    Ohio
    Sonic Shift
    http://www.angelfire.com/games5/shadowteam/

Surprisingly this is still up. I'm amazed everytime I go back and play my old fangame Sonic Ultimate that at one point I actually thought it was well coded. :eng101:

This is all I've been able to find still online for good ole Shadow Team aside from a couple of odd news posts that don't have screenshots anymore. I wouldn't mind finding Shadow Teams only complete game Sonic Avalanche, but I've not been able to find it anywhere.

4. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Sonic Bible Adventure.

Word up.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The oldest fangame I've ever played would probably be Ultimate Flash Sonic. Pretty good physics for a game coded in flash.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Also Sonic: The Fast Revelation
    [​IMG]
    I like the way that despite it being made in Klik 'n' Play years ago it still manages to look better than some modern fangames today.

Too bad it doesn't really play better :eng101:

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Found this:

http://www.sonicfangameshq.com/view.php?sec=1&id=76

Although I had put this collection together, none of the games are mine. It includes the first KNP Sonic game, a demo of the second which is a little different from the final release, and Sonic PC which could have been a nifty game had it actually been completed.

Just a bit of history there.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
  9. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
  10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    TFR was made such a long time ago your point of graphics too rich for it's time is moot. Back then it looked stunning and impressive, not trying to be a total 16 bit graphcis rip off.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    I remember one of the first fan games to hit the scene. It might have been THE first. It was a recreation of Hidden Palace Zone. This is before Simon Wai 2's beta had been found, but after Oil Palace Zone had been found, so someone (maybe stealth?) went through and created a rough sonic engine in Click n Create and recreated the level using magazine scans, hand drawn art, and what little about the level layout we knew from Oil Palace Zone. It played wonky (being a CnC game after all) but it was so cool. What was surprising was that it was pretty accurate to the S2beta HPZ.

However, I've been driven for YEARS to match Stealth's original Metrix (sp?) engine. When that was released, it felt like the entire game changed. That was during the height of the CnC craze, and stealth dropped a for-the-time super advanced C++ engine on us. I tried for AGES to talk to Stealth about it, but everyone knows how protective he is. I'd still love to hear anything he has to say about it (big fan :D).

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    You're talking about the game SSNTails created. It's far from being the first fan game, but he did an impressive job.

13. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    Thats right. It was the first that caught my attention, at least.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Wasn't Sonic Boom the first fangame?

I know these were the first fangames I ever found. I really wish someone would remake Sonic Robo Blast. >_>

For some reason I really liked this one, called ChaoS. The idea of revisiting classic levels in a different state appealed to me, I suppose.

Then there was this really cool beat-em-up, starring Amy, called One Girl Army. It blew me away at the time, but I remember it being really hard.

And I also enjoyed A Tale Of Two Sonics, just because I really enjoyed the comic at the time.

15. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Sonic Boom was the first, followed by Tails' Quest for 100 Rings (the demo). SonKnuck and me got into making KNP and CNC games early on after those two games, and there were a few other people that slowly started to get into it with us. And by around 1998 or 1999, fan games were becoming a big deal. SFGHQ had a major hand in bringing attention to fan games that were emerging on the internet. It's hard to say the actual order that many games came about, but for sure I can tell you Sonic Boom and Tails' Quest... were the first two.

I feel like a Sonic community historian here =D

16. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, I was gonna say that. I had played that one, gesee =P

Now, the scary thing. That one was made before Simon Wai's beta. The page said that it turned out to be scarily similar to the beta when it was found. I honestly didn't believe it was that similar, just bearing somewhat resemblance. Then I played the game... Fuck the level was literally identical O_O It only became different in the part where the level in the beta ends (at the emerald part). So yes, I can imagine that was scary...

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Might as well throw Sonic Robo Blast 2 in there. Seeing as how the game has had about a 10 year development, it was a good amount of time ago since I first played one of the game's demos.

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    According to what A.J. told me, he was able to construct the level based on the Megacosm screenshots that were posted on the internet, and analyzed the ring layout in HPZ to make guesses where those areas were in the Megacosm screenshots. Apparently there were enough screenshots that he was able to pinpoint nearly all the areas laid out in the commercial version of Sonic 2.

19. Rainer

Rainer

EDIT: THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS VERY GOOD.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    We did already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.