don't click here

IGN Sonic Reviews

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ultima espio, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

[​IMG]

I could go deep into what makes this list shit, but I won't. I'm so horribly trolled by this picture.

What happened to decent gaming-knowledge in journalism??

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey for once they didn't say Sonic. Just everyone else besides him and Robotnik. Step in the right direction (There are only 5 characters I want to see live in that series anyways: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik, Metal Sonic)

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    That list was bullshit. Any list of video game characters who need to die that doesn't have the dog from duck hunt at spot 1 isn't reliable info.

4. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    This is exactly the reason why I want to avoid being a part of the Sonic the Hegehog franchise when I work for sega. There are too many caharacters and although my character idea has a design basis of a sonic character in looks his personality design is too dark for a Sonic Game. (even darker than Shadow's but this is an ill comparison because my character is nothing like a Sonic character and will not be affilited with the franchise no matter how similar he may be. I plan to run my own division to be sure that such a thing won't happen.

That being said I have to agree with watching Tails die. That little puff of fluff desrves to die with how often he gets in the way of Sonic. Tails' AI was and still is retarded when played by the computer so therefore getting in the way is quite common.Here is just a list of what I mean:

In Sonic 2 he jumps on stuff he isn't supposed to.
    In Sonic 2 NA he causes sonic to lose rings (granted I'm talking about a prototype but it is still a reason why I hate him.)
    In Sonic Adventure he is always jumping in the way of Sonic and causing all sorts of problems. You can spin dash tails and make him get hurt which makes me happy sometimes but not always

In Sonic Heroes Not only does he get in my way but also his voice is so irritaingly high pitched. He also enjoys shoving Sonic and Knuckles off cliffs or interrupting Sonic's Light Dash. You can also Spin Dash into tails sometimes in Sonic Heroes and he'll let out an "AIEEE!" Which while hilarious also is annoying due to his voice.

Tails isn't bad when you play as him however. (but only in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. That is the only other game not counting Megamix I'll avoid using him.) He also kicked ass in his S3K Super Form. I'm still upset with what they did with Super Tails in heroes but that's besides the point.

5. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    I hate it when they think they're speaking for the fanbase with comments like this.

On the issue with Tails. I'm no where near a fan of him, but even I'll admit, I don't see how anyone can hate him that much. I was never a fan of him at all, but that's a little harsh. When I played Sonic Adventure, I actually didn't like him at all. His in-game model was unattractive, his voice-over was flat and emotionless, his animations were stiff, and his stages were uninspired, shorter versions of sonic's.
    From Heroes and onward, I started to tolerate and actually like him more. His models, voice over, and animations were improved. I also always liked the idea of him teaming up with Shadow on some missions. I just didn't like that babyish attitude he had with sonic in the first Sonic Adventure... talk about a turnoff.

Then my "admiration" for him decreased in Sonic Unleashed. But I don't blame him, due to how embarrasing the script in that game is.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Most of us don't want guns and werehogs, though. Assuming you mean the fan base above the age of thirteen.

7. Hedgepig

Hedgepig

I'm afraid the Unleashed script is good; far better than convoluted SA2, insipid Heroes and downright garbage Shadow the Hedgehog.

8. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    What I noticed: They can't seem to decide whether they're talking about some kind of story death or that they should just stop showing up.

What they do need to do: Tail's new model that they keep using is really ugly. He looks like some kind of living vinyl figure. It's creepy, and they should really use the design he had in the OVA. Also: Find a voice actor able to actually sound like a boy. His current one doesn't do that so well (this primarily seems to involve problems with inflections).

1. I want 3D, it's the other crap introduced along with it that was the problem. I find Sonic Rush just as flawed as Sonic's latest 2D offerings.
    2. Guns can fit fine of they do it right. Obviously, this should be limited to use by robots. Gamma was a lot of fun, and Omega is hilarious because he's a giant ball of hate (too bad his VA can't get this across anymore).
    3. Fair enough

9. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

You know, people are allowed to have different opinions, regardless of age. I know it's amusing to stereotype anyone who likes aspects of the franchise that you don't, but it's getting old now.

The werehog was actually a great move, from my perspective. Allowed the gameplay to slow down, add some more traditional platforming, and even included some of the original concepts for Sonic, what with stretchy body parts and interaction with objects as a primary focus. It also allowed a new style of gameplay without chucking in 15 other characters, which is a welcome change.
    As for guns, while they're perhaps not the best addition ever, it was for one game, and a spin-off game at that. What is it, four years or so, now? If people are going to complain about the old games with every review, why don't they just make it more amusing and 'retro' and talk about Tails' Adventure?

10. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    For me, I just find the script to be embarrasing and childish, along with that Chip character. Nothing amazing or cool happens in the story either. It's pretty forgettable, and it's not the kind of story you'd think of in your leisure time. Not to mention how the new writers didn't even bother to add in other characters. I don't think sonic should be a franchise aimed only towards kids, but Sonic Team is capable of better writing and development.... not that I think the game is bad. It's great (HD version only).

11. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

man

I really think if they updated Tails's image he could be a compelling character

I was thinking about this on a walk yesterday:

They could make a Megaman:Zero type deal where Sonic is MIA (due to some time issue) and Tails is older (updated image, not more of that cutsy bullsh!t). Tails can fight robots and stuff, and it can re-spark interest in the Sonic franchise.

The character itself has too much potential to be drawn as a pussy in every game. He can fly! He has TWO tails! AUUGH! Even in Sonic 2 he was portrayed as a wimp. A little sidekick.

It just really frustrates me lol

12. Straight out there: As a person who has only played te low-def version, I prefer the hedgehogs levels. They are more platform-orientated and pose as a challenge.

Well, that heading freaked me out, turns out it is just all the characters. Phew. Honestly, a kerjillion characters is not a bad thing, Sega are just doing it wrong. It shouldn't be necessary to play as all the freaking clone characters to get 100%. But they should be there for fun. I would totally go Shadow if I didn't have to.

1) People who give a crap probably have never had either of these examples.
    2) Old people don't play Wiis. They are Sony fans.

Aren't a number of these people already dead? Or at least not very active? Halo 3 was the last in the series, And though they left it on a cliffhanger, I thought they kinda guarenteed that he was done.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://retro.ign.com/articles/955/955741p1.html

And just after saying the other day that everyone but Sonic and Robotnik should die, they go on to emphasize it... and then extend on it with all the things they find wrong about the series.

Basically what they're trying to get across is "Where did Sonic go wrong, and here's our "wonderful" idea to get him back to glory." Oh wait, don't they do this just about every other week either directly or indirectly? To sum up the article, they once again make the false accusation that Sonic 1 is all about speed. From there they said that Sonic 1 and 2 were good, Sonic 3 was where things started to go to shit due to worse level designs (Well that's where I started to disagree), Sonic Adventure had too many characters, slowed Sonic down (Because he's all about speed apparently), Sonic Adventure 2 slowed him down more, Heroes had too many characters (They claim Vector is like a new character, despite the fact he was around since 1995), lol Shadow, Sonic Unleashed sold well despite shitty reviews (Maybe because it was actually a decent game? Just a thought), and that the only thing Sonic should do is make a bunch of shorter downloadable xbox live games that are more like the classics.

Granted, I'd love to have shorter Sonic games, but I don't see why we can't have a game that's like Sonic Unleashed's day time levels, give you the ability to play as multiple characters that can take multiple paths, has about 20 levels (2 normal acts and a boss), and sell it for about $30. SUGC sold pretty well, and it's a budget title. Anyways discuss.

14. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Anytime they can't think of something to write, this goes through their heads: "Bashing Sonic gets hits, huck huck!"

15. Rainer

Rainer

I wish there were a good gaming review site, but it looks like such a thing is damn near impossible.

Not that it matters. Most of the games that I like are usually lent from friends who have a fairly accurate shit-detector.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oddly enough that's pretty much their opening line

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    This thread then turns into 5+ pages of arguments about things we already know, Lol can't spell IGNorant without IGN jokes, Tweaker Tantrums and so on.

Another IGN article, another standard community response thread.

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Why am I not surprised they made this. Reading it now.

EDIT: "Sonic was about one thing: speed."

Stopped reading right there. Jesus christ IGN.

19. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Took the words right out of my mouth, Chimpo. I've seen enough of these types of articles and topics following them.

We get it. IGN doesn't like Sonic. Can we move on now?

o lawls. Topic got merged.

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Fixed. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.