don't click here

Sonic R

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Alexrd, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    It's okay. I was able to enjoy it even when I first played it on Gems Collection. The music I think is the best part of the game, since it gives the game some pizazz. It was far too short though. Not much replay value, and not enough tracks. Still it's decent, even by todays standards. It definetly doesn't hold a special place in my heart or anything like that...

2. SlushBox

SlushBox

bored with living Member
    I love it because it's the first Sonic game that I played that I owned. I remember coming in from the hot weather in the summer, making some instant iced tea, standing in front of the air conditioner for a bit, and then going to play Sonic R.

I've got it installed on my laptop. I still play it ocasionally, and I'd have to say that it is one of my favorite Sonic games.

3. corneliab

corneliab

I liked the Sonic Drift games more than Sonic R.

The controls were stiff and the characters seemed like cars, the animations and character models were poor, and the music was embarassing to listen to.

Sonic R is definitely one of my least favorite Sonic titles.

4. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    It's certainly the only Racing game I know of where most (let alone any) of the characters don't use vehicles to race each other (Sonic Rivals and Sonic Rivals 2 aside.) As far as I know, the closest to this any other games have got are the Multi-player modes of the other Sonic games that have Multi-player modes (e.g. Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance, etc.). So basically, only sonic games do this.

This is actually one of my favorite Sonic games. It seems a lot of people find the controls really annoying, but I didn't think they were that bad. Are they maybe less agreeable on the Sega Saturn? Because I played the PC version, and they might have been better for that version -- though I wouldn't know, I've never played the version for the Saturn. The graphics also weren't the best (and by this I mean the art for the character models)... though they were good enough, and the art for the race courses was, by contrast, pretty darn good imho.

The music was great, and I actually like the vocals. (Though the music by itself is quite good too.)

It would've been great if the bonus characters weren't so much better than the starter characters... and it'd also be nice if both Eggman and Egg Robo had a more useful ability (it never slows opponents down but does in fact, if anything, push them ahead by a little bit.) Oh, it is totally cheap how CPU-controlled Super Sonic, Metal Sonic, Metal Knuckles and Egg Robo never start to sink or decelerate when they ran (or rather "hovered") over water, when if you try to do the same you start decelerating instantly and sink after only 2-4 seconds. :)

The difficulty could have been higher (even on Hard,) but I guess that's why they made Amy Rose a character =P ;). Seriously, I once tried beating the game on Hard while playing solely as Amy Rose; it is nigh upon impossible, but if you collect all the Chaos Emeralds before you try to unlock the robotic bonus characters*.

Even with all 5 stages, all 10 characters, all the game modes and all the options, the game is still a little lacking and could certainly use a few more courses and such. Sonic time ought make a true sequel to Sonic R, not the spiritual successors the Sonic Riders and Rivals games have been. That would be surely be a game that would benefit from all the characters that have been made over the past few years, maybe even some of the neglected old characters (e.g. Ray, Mighty, Fang, Bark, etc.)

*Even Doll Tails must be some kind of robot under all that doll-like exterior.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sonic R was an awesome game. While I was rather late to the party in terms of playing it, I finally burned an ISO of the PC version and booted it up about a year or two ago, promptly playing through the entire game. I was already familiar enough with the soundtrack, which I consider some of the best music ever featured in a Sonic game, but the game itself proved to be just as entertaining!

The controls were a bit tacky and hard to get used to, but once you did, it was fun to maneuver around. The levels were very true to the original level clichés present in the classic games; they were rich, colorful, but at the same time rather varied, giving you a lot of choice on where you want to go. Yasuhara's last foray into the Sonic series showed that he very well could have pioneered a wildly different type of 3D Sonic formula. The music fit the levels fantastically as well, sort of bringing the player further into the experience than they would be without.

While it was rather short and hardly phenomenal, Sonic R was a very fun, very easy to pick-up-and-play sort of game. I should really give it another play one of these days.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    Sonic R on the PC was my first Sonic game. Period. That should pretty much sum up my affections for it, it will always hold a very dear place in my heart. Even if it is hella outdated now.

7. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    I found a bug (or just an over site. you be the judge.) in the game where you unlock Super Sonic and all but one of the secret Characters. (note though I did it on Gems collection but am assuming it isn't a port of the Saturn or PC version.) select Super Sonic and Start the race and regular sonic will be played by the computer along with the secret characters that are available! Whenever I saw this I was like "How the HELL does that work?". Of course Sonic pretty much loses most races when you play this way. I'm sure some of you are a bit confused by what I just said so I'll repeat it for those of you who failed to get it the first time (shouldn't be very many hopefully. Not meant to insult anyone)

Basically unlock Super Sonic, Then don't unlock one Secret character but unlock the others. Select a race as Super Sonic and when the race starts, the slot of the missing character will be filled by regular Sonic. Thus you have Super Sonic (played by you.) and regular Sonic (Played by the computer.) in the same race which is only normally possible unless you are playing Multiplayer. I'd show proof but I think it is pretty obvious that this is true and besides I can't download Saturn Roms due to problems with my computer but I have tested this in Gems collection on numerous occasions and it works. Someone is alway welcome to confirm it if they are skeptical. (makes my job a lot easier and keeps me from having to crawl out of the forums because chairs are being thrown at me.)

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, that happens. You can't race against fewer than 5 people so the game starts filling in the weaker characters with the new ones you've unlocked.

9. That's right. When you play with one of the secret characters, the game chooses always the best characters to race with you. Don't know what's the problem...

Anyway, Sonic R was my first Sonic PC game. For those who can't play it on Vista, I can play it with no problems. Try running the game as Administrator, or try the compatibility mode for Windows 98 or XP. My version didn't need those changes but I must say it is the version released on 2004 with some bugs fixed.

10. Crazizzle

Crazizzle

Well, to be honest...I'm one of the people that despises the controls. I can eventually grasp it with some work, but it's easy to lapse because when you're controlling a character you start trying to move them like...well, a person. I'd always screw up and make bad turns because I'd forget the controls.

That said...wouldn't it be interesting to have a new Sonic R style game that controlled like a platformer? We always get the 2P race modes in Sonic games. But I think it would be interesting to get one entirely focused on multiplayer racing with lots of Sonic-style shortcuts (get through rainbow loop here, make homing attacks to rails here etc, go through underground shortcut there etc).

We're unlikely to see this happen, though. Sega can't take the chances they once could get away with. It'd be a gazillion times better than Riders, but it'd still be looked at as gimmicky.

11. I would like a new Sonic R (only with a graphics improvement, nothing more), if it was Yasuhara designing the levels and all. Since his departure from Sonic Team, Sonic games weren't the same anymore... :)

12. Blue Warrior

Blue Warrior

USA
    Sonic 1 soundtrack
    I too would like an improved version of Sonic R, especially with an extension in the level design department. Sonic R definitely had some of the best levels I've seen in a 3D Sonic game, only to be rivaled by perhaps Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Robo Blast 2 (if fan games count :p).

I really can't say much else without echoing what everyone else has said. Even in spite of its length, it's a great game, and I'd like to see a newer game or version of Sonic R created in its style. I'd be completely content with this game by itself if I could just choose which characters I faced against.

13. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Way too short, gets way too boring fast because of the lack of tracks and the inbalanced characters. Come on, if you lose with Super Sonic, you just suck...

Maybe if this game was fleshed out a lot more, I would've paid it more attention :(

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Owned the pc version and only brought that for the music, otherwise the game was a waste of effort.

15. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Have you tried using compatibility modes for Vista? Right-click on the icon and select "properties". Then click on the compatibility tab and select Windows 95 or 98. I got Sonic Schoolhouse to work that way. By the way, Sonic R is an okay game, just way too short. And I find myself laughing at Sonics' popsicle-shaped hands every time.

16. Vinnie

Vinnie

Sonic R Isn't too bad, it can get boring after a while but I still play it from time to time.

17. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I used to love this game when it first came out and spent many a happy hour trying to get as much completed as possible.
    Also, of course, I remember when it was touted as one of the most graphically advanced games of the time, stretching the capabilities of the Saturn with its reflective water and transparent Radiant Emerald course (as such, I was very annoyed when I realised the PC version included in Gems collection failed to recreate the transparency).

My love for the game has stagnated in recent years, though. I've neither the inclination nor the patience to unlock such stellar characters as the EggRobo. Also, good a singer as she was, I've noticed in recent listening that TJ Davis sounded a tad flat in some of her performances. Naughty-naughty, should try harder...

18. Tau

Tau

Sonic R was a fun game. Short and unbalanced, but very fun to play. I have the PC version and never had trouble with the controls. The arrow keys + lean left/right buttons work very well. When I tried Gems Collection on Gamecube I did really badly because I couldn't control my character with an analog stick. :(

I remember playing multiplayer matches with two Egg Robos and just going around Reactive Factory shooting each other. Good times. :)

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I've tried. The keyboard locks up at the graphics-option screen every time. As far as I know, there's only been one person here who's got it to work, once.

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Professional Electromancer Oldbie
    You know, Sonic R really controlled a lot better with the NiGHTS 3D control pad than with the d-pad or the PC version. I wish one of the saturn emulators would support it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.