don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, something ought to get thrown in there, in any case; I'd love some form of a border in the style of the Super GB games.

2. kcowolf

kcowolf

Oldbie
    My quick concept of how side borders could look.

Note that this is a quick-and-dirty concept that came to mind when I was reading the latest posts. Of course it would need a lot of work before it could be used.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Meh. Looks like I screwed up the resolution. Started with 1280x768 when I should have started with 1600x900. Sorry about that.

3. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    Interesting stuff here. IceKnight's idea of the title card-esque borders intrigues me. Really could some up with summat sexy there. Maybe a hybrid of something like that and kcowolf's design which again, looks workable to me.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hm.. Playing 16:9 all the level, going to the boss and something patches up the screen to revert it at 4:3? To me it looks weird.
    I'm all for adding one more set of taller totems, which would prevent Sonic to go outside that area until Eggman has been defeated.

Anyway on 16:10 resolution monitors, ICEknight's idea would work perfectly! (to optionally fill the black borders)
    We have wonderful artists that can produce simple or advanced tilecards images for this purpose ^^

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    More power to you scanline. If you could whip up a few concepts for this that would be great. :)

I'm not sure how well contrasting colors would work for the borders, but who knows.

6. Boinciel

Boinciel

I think it might be neat if it was all original art. The left border shows Sonic overcoming a difficult challenge in the zone, and the right border shows Eggman and his machine looming menacingly. When the boss is defeated, the right border shatters like a pane of glass and the left border remains. When Sonic walks to the right, the left border is left behind and the camera locks to prevent you from looking at it again.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That doesn't sound too appealing to me. I think it should be something simple and functional, so the player doesn't get distracted from the game.

8. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    This!

Well, Vinc idea is pretty less distracting...maybe highter totems to "block" the player n-n

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Borders ruin the experience.

Just add some sort of visual wall that comes down during the boss fight. Like the Taller Totems idea.

10. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I think I got it.

[​IMG]
    PS: sorry for crap quality.

11. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    My original totem idea is something like this: [​IMG]
    Easy, and quick.

(Other kinds of pillars could be added, but they can ruin the "totems coming up" Eggman's plan.)

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I was thinking something more like this.

[​IMG]

I don't like seeing more of the boss area than normal.

13. test-object

test-object

@Vincent: That concept is what I was originally working on, but I found it to be pretty ugly :)

Solution: I put those stationary pillars there, so you'd get more of a feeling of: "Hey, 2 narrowly placed pillars! The boss fight must be here!"
    And BANG, Robotnik tricks you like Wile E. Coyote would. :specialed:

14. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
  15. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
  16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    An alternate hue to those statues, or just a different / similar pillar-kind could be made to look prettier. (we have no graphic limits for those)

But again being suddenly forced to play it at 4:3 would personally compromise the widescreen experience, and I feel it will be the same for lots of new and old gamers.
    The only efficient way of putting tilecard on boss areas I see, is on 16:10 resolutions, or special menu screens after the pause button is pressed.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've just thought that, instead of making up something different for each level, we could just use the something from the Wing Fortress boss: one vertical "beam wall" on each side.

I guess that would be the more "official" way to do it, since it's been used to keep Sonic inside that boss area since '92, after all.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Don't forget that all the boss arenas should feature such a border.
    CPZ, OOZ, ARZ, DEZ metal sonic, MCZ, and MZ, have a locked screen, and this is obvious.
    But also for EHZ, CNZ, HTZ, WFZ, and DEZ final boss, which don't have a locked screen, I'd recommend to enforce a 4:3 aspect ratio, to keep the boss fight closer to the original experience. A larger screen size for EHZ boss for example would allow you to see beforehand when he's going to come back from the side, for example. And while it wouldn't be a big deal in CNZ, HTZ, and WFZ, I'd add borders to all the bosses to keep a certain degree of consistency. Perhaps the borders can contain the name of the boss?

19. test-object

test-object

20. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member