don't click here

Versions of 'Sonic 2'?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Yeah, I should have searched before I posted. Go ahead and delete my post above. ^^;

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well it's not actually a Genesis binary as such so I don't know that anyone's ever made a real comparison between it and other Sonic 2 versions.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Wasn't that just done with emulation?

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hence why I said the Smash Pack emulator had that feature for the game. I mean that that's all I know about the Sonic 2 version there.

Well, yeah. That's why I said that it was in the emulator itself. It's really all I know on the matter. :s

5. Yuzu

Yuzu

Does anyone even have that anymore? He removed it from his post and I've really been wondering if it's as bad as I remember it was. :v:

6. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    I wonder how many of you know they actually ADDED a bug in Sonic 2 Rev 02?

Go to WFZ and find where those platforms are rising up near the propellers. Stand on one of the platforms, and let it reach the very top so it disappears. Instead of falling down, Sonic will stay in place doing his 'balancing' animation. What's more, you can then run left and right in mid-air and never fall, until you jump!

This glitch occurs on emulation, and when playing Sonic Compilation on a real MD. I think it also occurs on Sonic Jam as well (since that has the Rev 02 ROM) but my Saturn's broken so I can't check. But it certainly doesn't occur on my original EU and JP carts of Sonic 2!

7. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie

I have it.

It remains horrible.

8. JDAdams

JDAdams

Good call - I never knew that. Oh so much potential though - read on! It also happens with the ones going downward later in the level, again only in Rev 02. Makes that bit of the level a good deal easier. Also I didn't realise you meant you could run right out into space - you can get across huge chunks of the level in mid-air! That is seriously broken :)

Additionally, the gun turret platforms also exhibit similar behaviour - you can remain standing on them once they retract. You can also walk off these in mid-air, but only when retracted, and you'll fall once the platform you were standing on pops out again. That in itself is interesting as it suggests these turrets use a single object vs multiple objects for the rising / lowering platforms.

If you use the initial trick on the middle one of the three sets of lowering platforms just before the gun turrets, and make sure to avoid touching the adjacent set, you can run out to the right until you can jump onto and run up the conveyor belt. You'll find you can keep running up the same slope even after you leave the conveyor itself!

If you do the same trick, but instead carry on until you hit a quarter-pipe, jump onto this without touching the circling platforms and don't hold a direction, Sonic will end up running full speed while facing directly up or down - very strange. If you do hold a direction, you can end up going through the wall and running up a mid-air quarter-pipe. This is really odd as with a bit of patience you can run off the top of the level. Not to DEZ though as that's triggered by a timer after Robotnik's ship flies off, not Sonic's position.

Also, if you can reach one of the crane hooks from your mid-air position, and none of these will reset Sonic's status in terms of where the floor should be, so whenever you jump off a crane onto another surface you can then run out from that (new) surface into mid-air again, at a different height.

Finally, in all of these circumstances, jumping will not affect your floaty status as long as you land on another solid surface, at which point you will then be able to run at the level of that surface. I.e. you can only drop while jumping, not by running off anything. Just don't get hurt or touch any moving platforms. With some persistence you can end up way above the boss, but I can't find a way to bypass the screen lock to get to Robotnik's ship without fighting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.