don't click here

Game Preview - Sonic the Hedgehog CD (Electronic Gaming Monthly, Augus

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MathUser, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I would've prefered a fight with Metal Sonic than him being so lame he dies by crashing into a wall :(

2. Vlcice

Vlcice

Oldbie
    This may be a bit far-fetched, but since Sega appears to have been so proud of the CD soundtrack (like how they mentioned the singer for the two songs specifically), is it possible that Sega provided magazines with a track list in addition to/in place of a level list? I could see magazines mistaking "Final Fever" for a level name in that context since it matches the naming patterns for the rounds themselves.

3. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    What he said. Seems to be a trend in Sonic games, not actually having a decent boss fight with the coolest enemies. Instead they transform into shit like "Metal Overlord" which isn't really Metal Sonic.

4. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Because sonic 1 had a final zone, one seperate final level, a huge bossfight with its own music.
    The EGM guys probably thought that the OMFG AWESUM SEQUEL will have a final level like that as well. And they had a tracklist where a track had the name "final" on it.

2 + 2, retard.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    This disagreement seems to be coming from differing levels of intelligence assigned to the journalists, or perhaps how large of an assumption the journalists would have made. Because they call Final Fever it's own level, I'm inclined to believe that it was at some point, be it a full level, or just a section a few screens wide so you aren't dumped into the middle of it right away.

6. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    In the first page we see the animations of Sonic from the title screen and we see a picture of Sonic with 3D clouds behind it so this confirms that this proto is very distant from the 510 and does not have nothing to do with R2.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    "Probably." I don't see "this is definitely how it is, here's the evidence" anywhere in that post—you're making groundless assumptions based on what you think the situation is.

I'm fully aware of the "Final Fever" track. I'm fully aware that it could be mistaken for a level name. But the problem is, there is no direct evidence to definitively suggest that. If you want to try and support your argument, then contact one of those magazines yourself and ask them if they were pulling shit out of their asses. Until then, you have no grounds to completely blow off the possibility that there could be something more here, and you have even less grounds to be going around calling people retards.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, from where I stand, technically Occam's Razor would lead one to the conclusion that such a level was planned and completed at most to the degree of the desert level in S2, and the magazine guys were making false assumptions about the level in the game. Far 'simpler' than assuming that they actually coded it, implemented in some demos that we don't have, and then got rid of it.

Otherwise we might actually see some information in the game suggesting the latter.

:P

9. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    There is a completely logical train of thought that explains how a journalist could mistake the name on a tracklist for a complete level. You are the one making assumptions.

10. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    I can see Sega sending a list of names for the music with lyrics and stuff possibly. But I doubt for instrumental tracks. I mean, how many sega cd games get the track listing sent to magazines? cd quality is nice and all, but I don[t think it is that impressive where you'd send a list of track names to a magazine.

11. Phos

Phos

If they had access to the sound test, they might have been browsing around in it (this is assuming they actually had a beta), when they noticed that all the music was named after a zone. based on this, they assumed that final fever was the name of the last level. This would require them to have a beta, beat it, and then look through the sound test. Would this have been possible?

12. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    the mag is from august, so it is likely the 712 proto they reviewed. which has the DA Garden implemented with tracklists, as far as I recall, but the latter levels are not playable enough without debug (about which they probably knew fuckall, they are journalists covering hundreds of games, not nerds focusing on lost sprites of one specific game).

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Then why was Palmtree Panic in the list twice and Quartz Quadrant completely omitted? I know the 712 proto had Quartz Quadrant in it.

Maybe it's just easier to assume that the magazine staff is retarded, but that doesn't particularly explain the second article that mentions it... :\

14. Phos

Phos

So if they really did have the 712 proto, then they wouldn't have had anything back then that we don't have now. So, there must be something that we're missing.

15. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Correcting myself: they may be writing of the japanese final and not the 712 copy. I don't konw wether EGM comes out at the end or the beginning of the month. If the August issue comes out at the end of July, they are writing about the 712 copy, if the August issue comes out at the end of August, they are either writing of the 712 copy, or maybe the jap final. But it also depends on what are their deadlines, and if they can import the game fast enough to throw together a few pages.
    I don't recall how the DA Garden is unlocked exactly, but in the final you need to beat the complete game, in the 712 I recall its in there by default (or some button combo).
    If they had to beat the game at least one time to get the da garden, then their fuckup is likely just intentional hype.

>Maybe it's just easier to assume that the magazine staff is retarded

This is EGM for christsake. They make a ton of shit like this, both intentional and unintentional. It's a huge mistake to take their articles as golden facts.

16. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    False, to get D.A. Garden in the final, you have to beat a certain total time in time attack mode (forgot what exactly, I always get it on the go, lol). Which I doubt they'd do for a short preview.

17. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    The magazine staff most likely fucked up on mentioning the same level twice, yeah, but it seems unlikely that they accidentally printed the name "Final Fever." They probably just browsed through the D.A. Garden, put two and two together and hey, the final level must be called Final Fever.

18. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Don't for get that Sonic the Comic also mentioned Final Fever. Image:Scd_SonicTheComic.jpg

StC isn't even a gaming magazine, they probably get their info from Sega's PR department or whatever.

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Also, yeah. EGM prints fairly early so it's most likely that they're working from the 712 build.

20. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    And judging by the lack of screenshots, it looks like Sega didn't even send them a copy of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.