don't click here

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Another Sega epic fail?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by D-Man, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Sonic R just needed the characters to not control like cars.

2. Yuzu

Yuzu

I think they needed not to control like shopping trolleys.

3. Riders 1 and 2 were overall good. There are a few things that pissed me off.

Shitty voice for 'Jet'. This really annoyed me @_@.
    Retarded models. Ok I know they tried making it look cartoony, but what cartoon do you see someone's foot bigger than their entire body?
    Annoying Omochao announcer. Getting the genders wrong, saying shit over and over again.

I prefer the first one over the second, because it doesn't have the gravity shit.

The people saying sonic needs to be about running and nothing but? What about sonic spinball? I hated that, but you don't see anyone bitching about it. The main factor of any sonic game should be speed, but it also needs some thinking done into it. A puzzle or something, like they did in DX and sonic 06.

4. Shade

Shade

There's already a topic on Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. Use the search feature, chief.

In my opinion, they are both solid racers with a steep learning curve. I wouldn't go too far out of my way to play them, but if you enjoyed the first, the second is definitley worth a look. It plays a lot differently since it completely eradicates all the "air" based gameplay and replaces it with new elements focused on "gravity".

Once again, this is all explained in depth in the existing SR: ZG topic.

5. A modern day Sonic R with more courses would be great.

Much better than sticking a super-fast hedgehog on a... hover board.

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    This.

It also had Metal Knuckles...therefore, it wins.

7. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Do we need to split this topic? It seems there's more talk of Sonic R emerging than talk of Zero G. XD

Just kidding. I haven't had a chance to play Zero G (Though I want to, BADLY. First Riders was awesome with a capital AWE.), but I have to say from what I HAVE seen, it looks great. Hopefully I'll get to play it before long, as I'm thinking of trading in my GC at the local pawn shop or Gamestop and getting a Wii. I know, I won't get much for the GC either way, but anything I can get back out of it toward the Wii helps.

8. Jeiku

Jeiku

Honestly, I thought the Riders series was okay. Aside from the first game's spontaneous controls and high learning curve, my other major complaint is the difficulty level - the computer AI was too hard in the first game, and too easy in the second (although it went back to being too hard in normal race mode). I think Sonic Riders could have done with a difficulty setting: easy, normal, and hard. Thankfully though, Zero Gravity controlled much easier and smoother, and the gravity system was much easier to deal with. Unfortunately, it's such a shame that Super Sonic is a terrible racer in both games, after all the work the player has to go through to unlock him.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    True. In both games, you needed a very good memory for where the rings are laid out and most plentiful across the levels. It's not as bad in the first game since he can abuse every shortcut in the game. In the second one, though, that dash attack plus the fact he can only use one shortcut (two if you revert back to normal Sonic) really hurts Super Sonic more.

10. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

Lava Reef Zone
    Well by the time you finally unlock Super Sonic, shouldn't you have played enough to have good memory of ring layout on the course anyway? *shrugs* I have a little trouble with Super Sonic in Sega Carnival, but other than that...

11. D-Man

D-Man

the americone dream Member
    I was actually pretty good in the first game, but like I said in the first post, the random loss of control was a little hard to bear and the AI difficulty was way to random. Nearly impossible to stay in the lead, even more impossible to get into first, but fairly simple to get into second. Never really understood that..

I see lots of posts about gravity. Did that just completely replace the air gauge or the whole turbulence concept, or did they keep the ability to ride turbulence because that was the most annoying part of the game. You're finally getting used to the controls when you're just pulled suddenly into somebody's smoke trail and there's no way you can get out or catch up anyway

I agree with all that. Jet's voice was pretty shitty, but no better than Silver's. And as far as huge feet go, I though the feet from the characters from Kingdom Hearts were pretty big, but those put them to shame. I also noticed Omochao calling Rouge he or Shadow she, I thought I was hearing it wrong at first until it happened again.

I think Sonic Rivals on PSP had the right idea, a good old fashioned Sonic foot race.

12. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

Lava Reef Zone
    Yeah, I have to agree on the voice acting. Most of it wasn't that great. I'll make a list.

Jet - Totally way past annoying.
    Wave - Not that great, yet somehow it fit her. It was bearable at least.
    Storm - His voice was amusing actually. He sounds like the bouncer at the local bar. XD
    Eggman - ... He's no Deem Bristow, I'll leave it at that.
    Sonic - Good emotion and acting, but the voice really doesn't fit the character. Someone bring back Jaleel White, please!
    Tails - I can't begin to tell you how much Tails' voice annoyed me. As far back as I can remember, Tails has NEVER really had a good voice actor in the games. Heck, his voice actor in AoStH was better than these!
    Knuckles - I didn't like the job Knuckles' Voice Actor did in Sonic X, but the guy seems to be trying and doing a better job now. The voice fits Knuckles, it just wasn't being done well in Sonic X.
    Amy - Someone needs to be drug out into the street and shot.
    Cream - Spoke one line too soon.
    Rouge - Her voice fits and the voice actor does a good job, but that doesn't make me like the character any more.
    Shadow - Well, I have to say I'm more pleased with Shadow's current Voice Actor than the one he had in the days of SA2. Granted that will probably be a differentiating opinion, but whatever.

13. D-Man

D-Man

I would like to add a couple to this

Silver - Like I said, really annoying, and didn't fit the character too well. reminded me too much of fry from Futurama
    Blaze - Her voice actor didn't do too bad, it kinda fit, but was still not exactly what I expected after playing Sonic Rush
    E-123 Omega - Now, I hated his voice in Sonic Heroes, hell, I hated the character in heroes, the thought of him coming back in Shadow with a new voice AND in Sonic the Hedgehog 06 with ANOTHER new voice is just nothing short of horrible to me
    E102 Gamma- Another character I wasn't to fond of, the voice was a little to human for me, and the story in SA kinda sucked... I think everybody's story in the game should've been longer.
    Chaotix - I'm not to fond of Vector or Charmy's voices so I'm just gonna group them together. Espio's on the other hand was what I'd expect from a ninja, but WAAAAY too close to Shadow's in my opinion in both Heroes and Shadow.
    Metal Sonic - That was a little more what I expected from a robot voice, but once again, just a bit too human

I think that's all I have for now.

14. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

Lava Reef Zone
    I dunno D-Man. I sort of like Silver's voice. It has an air of childlike innocence and naivety that seems to fit Silver.

15. D-Man

D-Man

Well, I guess when I think of Silver, I think of a more bad ass voice to go with the bad ass telekinesis he uses. Maybe that voice would be better suited for Tails, hell, ANY voice would be better suited for Tails

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Funny you say that. See, if you listen to Eggman's voice clips in both Riders and Riders ZG, they recycled quite a few of Bristow's clips. They're very obvious when you play as Eggman.

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    IMO the best voice tails ever had was Lainie Fraiser (Sonic OVA). A little to "stuffed up" at first, but sounds god by the end.

But the character with the best voice in this game? NiGHTS

18. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I just bought this today, and unlike the first one, I beat story mode in a single sitting, but I'm enjoying it

19. BiafraRepublic

BiafraRepublic

SSR DJ, longtime TSS staffer, and all-around nice/ Oldbie
    Unincorporated Galveston County, TX, USA
    A/V Hijack: Mondays 6-8PM GMT/BST on SSR - http://j.mp/ssrsite
    Personally, I would announce new voice talent auditions, and make certain that the current voice talent knows that there won't be any guaranteed slots... Makes people work all that harder and brings in some fresh meat.

Who knows, Jaleel White might just come back from wherever he is and give it one last try...

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Sonic riders and zero gravity are the only 3d sonic game's I've had fun playing to the end since sonic adventure 2, that's saying something.

and btw you could escape air trails in the first game by using the brake, it's one of those things you don't learn unless you read the manual, same with different jump heights and speeds holding up or down while charging a jump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.