don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We are reworking on many stuff at the moment, expect some screenshots soon! :colbert:

I'd like to also remember everyone now producing art to complete it BEFORE September 1st.

2. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    What happens September 1st?

3. We all die.

Or stuff starts getting put into the tech demo, I guess.

4. Our intention is to release the tech demo no later than mid-September. You will probably want to be alive for it. :-P

5. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    I can't wait for the tech demo.

I really wish I had artistic ability to help with any of this :p

6. Woot

Woot

Hi all,

I just thought I'd give the waterfall a go. I decided to have two layers of water, one being semi-transparent above the other and moving at a different speed to give it a bit more fluidity. Is this too realistic?

[​IMG]

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Doesn't look bad, but it's hard to do a comparison unless you put another version next to it (Not the original game one, probably Exodus' rendition). Maybe get yours mirrored out like DoR and adjust the speed for the top and bottom sections?

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]

We've been working on the BASIC HD tile of EHZ grass.
    Said this the few shades used on are due to "BASIC HD" status, so it won't be like this at all in the next stages.

Now what really matters is the grass shapes[/b] which will need to tile on the other blocks, so we need some feedback on this :thumbsup:

Nice contribution on the Waterfall, please post it mirrored like the previous Exodus + DoR waterfall image!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e320/dea...ats01/top-1.gif

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

[​IMG]

I'm torn whether that would clash with the style on the top portion or not. It's fairly tough to tell what the original design was meant to be with so few pixels to work with. If I've got the time later on I'll make the changes myself to post.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Was the original mirrored, though? If not, perhaps the waterfall graphics should be fixed instead?

11. Flare

Flare

Even if it is I think we shouldn't mirror it considering how obvious bad the waterfall tiles because of it being mirrored.

12. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
  13. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

looks like it tiles great.

14. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    About two pages back, and in the database, I posted a slightly improved still of my waterfall with better colours and regular horizonal tiling I.e. not mirrored. I attempted to animate it but it turned out really bad especially when compared to DoR's method. Not to put any pressure on DoR but I requested him to animate the new tile in the same way when he got spare time.

I am very happy to see Woot's waterfall, I like it! It looks great tiled.

Great to see work on the grass as well; I agree with Canned Karma that the bottom fringes of the grass need to look more 'organic'. The shape of the top is looking good though and the only thing that sticks out to me is that it looks too uniform IMO.

15. LimeiBook86

LimeiBook86

Artist Member
    Excellent job on the waterfall effect! The transparency effect between the two layers almost give it a colored pencil effect. :) I'd be excited to see how this looks next to the other pieces of level artwork and scenery.

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

17. Woot

Woot

Personally I don't think it looks any good reflected, but I don't think it's something we should rule out. What do you guys think...?

Normal:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Reflected:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Edit: By the way I think this one is brilliant:

[​IMG]

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, that one sucks reflected. You can see the lines where it tiles =P

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Doesn't the water look too weird when you follow it? It looks like the graphics are flipped in certain places, or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.