don't click here

Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dorfd1, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    Why were the audio cd tracks changed in the U.S release?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    American people are crazy like that.

3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    To make it more appealing to an American audience. The Japanese and other cultures are much more open to Americanized things (like music), whereas Americans are less open about outside influences. It's because of what we're used to.

4. Shade

Shade

I (along with Heran Bago) met Spencer Nilsen himself, composer of the US tracks, and we asked him why the tracks were changed. His response was pretty much what Saxman is saying: It's a localization/style thing. For some reason or another Sega decided the original soundtrack wouldn't click as well with US audiences, and decided to have it stylized differently.

5. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    this is my opinion but I like the non U.S soundtrack better.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And most people, including myself, would agree with you.

7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    The U.S. soundtrack is more American pop oriented. Most of the people on the internet (from what I've seen) are either into dance / techno / trance stuff, or heavy metal / hard rock. Few around here are into true pop music (techno and related things don't count here). That's why most people around here tend to like the U.S. soundtrack less. But there are people (such as myself) who like it much better. I like pop music of that time period. The problem with that music is it is easily forgotten because it's out of date, whereas the Japanese music style still fits trends that are currently going on to this very day.

8. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Yeah, it also depends on what you grew up with, too. I grew up with the U.S. soundtrack and honestly, that's part of the biggest reason why I love it. It just fits to me, because that's what I've heard for so long. Also, you can't deny that Stardust Speedway's US music kicks ass, especially as a standalone song.

9. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    I had sonic and Knuckles collection for PC. That included a copy of the non U.S soundtrack in .WAV format. I then get the Sonic CD for PC thinking it has the non U.S soundtrack but it has the U.S one. Now I play a version of sonic cd in the emulator that uses the non U.S soundtrack.

10. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    Bad Future, yes. Present and Good Future, no.

11. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I really like the Japanese tracks better, because it sounds more Sonic-like.

12. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Now that this has been brought up, I think I may have once had a burned, or the 910 beta for Sonic CD, because I played it using the jp soundtrack not ever knowing about the american one for years. o.o

I remember my dad got me the Sega CD and a bunch of game from a guy he knew who had "connections" with Sega. Makes me wonder...

but I doubt anything I had other than that Sonic CD disc was rare or notable. (and of course we all know about all the Sonic CD betas nowadays.)

13. dorfd1

dorfd1

[PA Dodger] Banned
    I agree.

14. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Enjoy your PA.

15. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I'm one of them.
    We got the US shit here in Europe for gems collection. Copyright :rolleyes: assfuckers.

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    See, this is why I like the 920 beta.

17. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Ordos is bang on target there.

The Stardust Speedway Present and Good Future were excellent tracks on the original. The original Bad Future track though, reminded me of the Australian Big Brother theme. *shudders*

The US soundtrack does have its redeeming tracks, just like the original soundtrack has its failures.

I have to say this though.

You Can Do Anything / Believe In Yourself > Sonic Boom

18. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    More like lazy-arsed fuckers. All Gems got for the PAL release was a region code check swap. As if Sega Europe would go to the trouble of getting Sonic Team (also a bunch of lazy bastards) to do some re-coding for us to enjoy the Ogata & Hataya soundtrack, just like we did back in '93.

19. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I knew I'd be the odd-ball in the topic. I do like the Stardust Bad-Future U.S. track, but that's not the only one I enjoy. I also love the Quartz Present, Wacky Workbench Present, and Workbench Bad-Future.

Workbench Present is my absolute favorite song on the entire soundtrack. It's really funky and danceable. I am surprised so few people like that kind of music around here. There's some real talent on those tracks!

20. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Collision Chaos JP is where it's at, fuckers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.