don't click here

Sonic 1 Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    All of which I'd be perfectly fine with if there was some way to mitigate ring loss. To be able to take a couple of hits but still be able to reach the Special Stage is all I'm askin' for.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    First of all, I've been playing this game since before you were born, my son. That said, "challenge" isn't synonymous with "fun". Sure, this hack is challenging, and I did enjoy that challenge to an extent. Hell, it was because of the challenge that I even bothered to complete the game. But therein lies the problem; I forced myself to complete the game to prove that I could, not because I was enjoying myself. Good layouts strike a balance between challenge and fun- it's actually pretty difficult to create a fun level without some degree of challenge. I'm not saying a level has to be fast to be fun (Levels like that ususally aren't much fun at all- see SNZ), but it shouldn't be bogged down with all these enemies and traps, either. There are other ways to add challenge to a level.

While this is subjective, it ties into my belief that the only true challenge Sonic games present stems not from simply completing the stage, but from memorizing the layouts and completing the stages as quickly as possible. It should be the layout that tests players- scattering hazards all over the place isn't going to mean jack shit to a careful player. This hack is hardly a challenge at all if you're willing to move slowly, and at that point, it's no longer a test of skill, but of patience, which has no place in a Sonic game.

That's why I'm in the lead in the Sonic 1 competition thread and you aren't~~

3. To Shadow Hog, if you want to only make the game lose a certain number of rings each time you take a hit, do this:

Open up the Sonic 1 Megamix ROM in a hex editor and go to offset 00E7B4. This should read 31FC 0000 FE20 ... if it doesn't, you have a different revision than I do. (In that case, search for 31FC 0000 FE20 11FC 0080 FE1D in the ROM. This is the location we want.

Now, change the 31FC 0000 FE20 to 4EB9 0013 9498. Now go to offset 139498. This should be the byte after the end of the ROM ... if it isn't, find the byte after the end of the ROM and change the 139498 to the address of this byte.

At this byte, add 0C78 xxxx FE20 6508 0478 xxxx FE20 4E75 31FC 0000 FE20 4E75. xxxx is the number of rings you want the character to lose when he's hit (in hex: for example, ten is 000A and 15 is 000F). Save your changes.

This works for me, I hope it works for you.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

I don't know what the hell just happen, and I'm not going to start arguing with a bunch of fucking teenagers...
    Look, I said use look up and down to make a point, and no I don't think many people use it much given the delay. I really don't use it...I was just trying to make a point for all the whiners...

With that said...I hope we can just drop the whole damn thing, didn't think it would blow up into such a big debate...

and Ritz if you think I am stupid...well let's not go there.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Uh, why are you telling people to hack my ROM? What the fuck.

And everybody else: Stop fagging up the topic.

6. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Ritz:
    The traps are there so that you have to think before you use abilities.
    Abilities are very usable, and useful. But you have to learn where to use them and where not to.

Or play as mighty. His abilities are useful everywhere.

7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I can see another fagging of this thread in the making... :)

8. I arrived at the MZ boss while invincible, and it ran out while battling the boss. Then, the Flickies looked like this: (half are correct)

[​IMG]

9. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Another announcement: StephenUK has agreed to rejoin the project. Expect more new level art in the future.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's great news.

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  12. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Fantastic news! :)

13. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
  14. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Hey

Hey guys, here's a great idea, and I hope you're following me here for a moment, but

Shut the fuck up.

Anyways, has anyone else managed to get stuck in those red and white circles that appear after you go through them? If it weren't for the save feature, I would have been pissed.

15. Jimp

Jimp

Art in Sonic 1
    Happened to me too, but I fell out after the stage rotated some more.

16. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    I spotted the biggest error ever.

Tweaker, why does the option screen say MILES?!

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    What should it say, Kilometers?

*hides*

18. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I like how I've got a bunch of people on my jock when I'm only voicing my concerns with this hack. If you can't appreciate my opinions, or you can't provide a rebuttal more solid than "Shut up shut up no one can say anything bad about Megamix ever", then why bother replying at all?

As for the Mighty bit, I've already covered that in a prior post, so I'll spare you of my absolutely dreadful complaints!

Because I like good level design.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    "Good" level design is arbitrary after a certain point. However, I am aware of the cheap shit, and that will be sorted out. There's a difference between challenging, and just plain stupid.

20. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Because my name deserves to be in all hacks.

owait Tails.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.