don't click here

Project Chaos ReMix Project is out, at last!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by nineko, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I don't know why anybody likes ocremix at all. Of all remixes on there, I like maybe 5 or 10.

Most of the so-called remixes there don't resemble the original tune at all.

2. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    OCRemix isn't actually that bad, it's just bad -now-. A lot of the older songs are still pretty good...

Although I must say, I have to agree with the various people who say this sucks. It just... doesn't really capture my ears, and most tracks I have to purposely stop listening to.

(But then again I didn't enjoy the Cave Story Remix Project either, so...)

3. jmr

jmr

Judging by the comments, it seems the majority of the people here prefer the more, shall we say, conservative arrangements. I'm guessing most of you were expecting straight out remixes/covers of the original tracks, but I can say from the beginning that it was not the intention of the project. It was intended to be an arrangement album, not a cover album. And by arrangement, I mean taking the song, reinterpreting it, extending it with new material, changing it stylistically, and so on. It was up to the individual musician to decide to what extent.
    <_<
    I'm gonna have to call bullsh*t on that. While there are a few that stray from the original (some, a bit too much in my opinion), you'd have to be completely deaf not to recognize the source material. :P

4. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Completely agree with what jmr said. He hit it right on the nail there.

What's the point in hearing a remix album if it's so close to the source material you can barely tell the difference?

That, IMO, is a bad remix album, people. Asides from Apocyliptic Orbital Ovum, House of Cards, Next My Generation and Oil Spill, which all owned, (I was upset not to see analoq on the credits for this album), Sonic 2 Hedgehog Heaven is a perfect example of a Remix album I disliked.

This is a perfect remix album. Absolutely fabulous. There are *real instruments* that make the songs sound of professional, not some slightly-above-average person sitting on his computer with FL Studio and a sequencer.

Don't get me wrong-I love synths, they're great, but a song with only synths gets old fast, I learned that quick.

Overall, Hedgehog Heaven and Chaos ReMix can't be compared, seriously. They're two completely different albums with two completely different objectives, and they both complete those objectives with exceptional quality.

5. Shade

Shade

But the fact (or opinion, rather) of the matter is, a lot of the remixes just aren't good. Take "iMushroom" for instance, or that sad excuse for Death Egg and Angel Island, or all of the competition and menu music for that matter. Sorry, but most of the album is quite shit in my opinion. There were only a few tracks that I didn't close winamp prematurely on.

6. jmr

jmr

Exactly my point. If this project consisted of direct covers, I would not have enjoyed it half as much.
    Thanks for acknowledging my track. :(

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Completely agreed. The problem is, the coolest songs are often taken down because they "don't fit the guidelines anymore".

As for the project, now that I listen more to it, I must say that I only like a few tracks. Besides than the broken headers and tags in the mp3s (that makes them unplayable in some players), most of the tracks aren't cool as I was expecting.
    Everyone kept on saying that this project was going to be awesome and everything, but it's nothing special, imo.
    wtf with all the piano tracks? I don't like that Ice Cap at all. I'm sorry for Hetcenus, since he is a cool guy and a friend on OCR, but this time his remixes disappoint me.

So far I think I like:
    chthonic - Red Sphere, Blue Sphere
    jmr - Eternal Excavation (but I should say that it was better in an older WIP)
    housethegrate - Walk On Water
    Gecko Yamori - Elevator Music (big congratulations to Gecko Yamori because LBZ music sucks per se, he managed to make it so good)
    Kanjika - Breathtaking Vision (one of my favorites. still, better in an older WIP)
    BrainCells, SnappleMan - Scrambled Eggman
    Red Tailed Fox - So Long and Thanks for All the... (another example of track I didn't like in the OST, and made cool by the ReMixer. nice work)

I'm really disappointed to see my favorite track ever (in the OST), Azure Lake, remixed in such a painful way. Fortunately there is Rayza's WIP as a bonus mix.
    Yeah, bonus mixes. AkumajoBelmont's Hydrocity is better than the one featured in the project. With Xenon Odyssey's track (Lava Reef), this puts THREE non-official tracks to be better than the official ones. And GaMeBoX's Ice Cap would be the fourth one if it wasn't recorded so bad.

Eh, too many people overstimated this project.
    *goes back to listen to Hedgehog Heaven*

8. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    I'm gonna have to go with Marble Garden for the win. I always thought that song would go well with vocals, and this totally solidifies my thoughts exactly. Well when I was little for some reason I would sing about pilgrim's feet (wtf?!).

*sarcasm*

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I have to say, this was in no way worth the wait. There were only a few tracks that I actually managed to listen to all the way through, and most of my favourite S3K tracks were completely crucified. Some of the WIP tracks were better than the final versions.

10. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    The whole point of remixing, as I see it, is to give a track a new flavour while retaining the essence of the original, and boy the majority of this garbage misses that by fucking miles. The majority of my favourite tracks from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles were brutally gang raped and then crucified.

The only tracks worth bothering with are -

SnappleMan - Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles (Title Screen Remix)
    Gecko Yamori - Elevator Music (Launch Base Remix (which could've been better, Yamori can do better than this))
    SnappleMan - Malicious Fingers (Final Boss (Sonic 3)/Death Egg Boss (Sonic 3K) Remix)
    chthonic - Red Sphere, Blue Sphere (Special Stage Remix)
    jmr - Eternal Excavation (Endless Mine Remix)
    Rayza - Groove Basin (WIP Azure Lake Remix)
    Xenon Odyssey - Lava Passion (WIP Lava Reef Remix)

11. Biship

Biship

Pending Member
    Well I had better luck, I enjoyed 14 out 35 songs. I loved your Endless Mine remix jmr, it was one of the ones I kept along with SnappleMan's and few others. :P

12. nineko

nineko

italy
    You know, I've been thinking the same thing about MGZ tune, I had so many ideas to remix it. So, when the project was at its very beginning, I asked if I could join.
    You all know that in the end I didn't join, but I still made my own vocal version of Marble Garden: http://olremix.org/remixes/185.
    Of course this is crap (it's on olremix), but if you look at the dates you'll find that mine was ready even before Danny Baranowsky was called for the project. The idea of a vocal Marble Garden wasn't his one, it was mine!!!
    It's still a funny coincidence that another remixer made a vocal remix of the same tune a few months after me. Oh well.

note: my remix is in Italian.

13. Divisible by Waffle

Divisible by Waffle

Impatient Echidna Member
    Somewhere in Oreeyguhn
    Failing at fixing game cartridges
    My Name is Nineko is one of my favorite OverLooked remixes.

14. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Being a hardened Remix listener, I can say this came out better than other projects, if nothing else, for the variety. The problem? The musical style changes too much. So, like, for a metalhead (minus lyrics) and classical type like me, there's several tracks (listed right below) that I like... and then the ones which are in different styles, and (rarely) some I'd consider somewhat low on completion that sorta fail to please me (but would probably do fine for others. Anyway, here's my opinion:
    (All stuff in this list is solely my opinion)

Favorites
    SnappleMan, Ashane, norg - The Doomsday (Doomsday Zone) (Best of both worlds; all I'd want is more arrangement at the end, that is, make the song longer and add more)
    BrainCells - Live at the Sandopolis (Sandopolis)
    BrainCells, SnappleMan - Scrambled Eggman (Boss)
    Snappleman - Sonic the Hedgehog and Knuckles (Title)
    chthonic - Red Sphere, Blue Sphere (Special Stage)
    Daniel Baranowsky - Caution-Echidnas May Eat Your Brain (S3 Boss 1)
    Hadyn - Three Ring Nightfall (Carnival Night)
    Hadyn - Heads Up for Tails (Final Boss)
    AkumajoBelmont - Water on the Dancefloor (Hydrocity WIP)

Okay
    Rayza - Groove Basin (Azure Lake WIP)
    Kanjika - Stranger to Closure (S3 Credits WIP)
    Xenon Odyssey - Lava Passion (Lava Reef WIP) (Would have preferred this in the final)
    Rexy - Divided from Grace (Angel Island) (Gets better towards the end; close to being 'Good', but first half is definately not my favorite)
    Kanjika - The Secluded Stronghold (Hidden Palace) (Missing only real instruments)
    Joker - Before the Storm (Death Egg) (A bit lower-high end, good production, overuse of synths)
    Daniel Baranowsky - Knuckleduster (Marble Garden) (If the voice was a little bit better, it'd make the top)
    Hetcenus - That Freezing Feeling (IceCap)
    housethegrate - Walk on Water (Hydrocity)
    Kanjika - Breathtaking Vision (Sky Sanctuary)
    Red Tailed Fox - So Long and Thanks for All the... (S3 Credits) (That weird squeaking noise annoys me)
    Kanjika - Hydrochill (Hydrocity WIP)
    Gecko Yamori - Elevator Music (Launch Base)
    jmr - Eternal Excavation (Endless Mine)
    GaMeBoX - Ice Cap 4 Life (IceCap WIP) (If only his other mixes were like this one)
    Ross Kmet - Momentary Standstill (Azure Lake
    Ichitootah - Helium Stairways (Balloon Park)
    Rexy, Hetcenus - Beneath the Ashes (Lava Reef)
    Joker - Heat Blur (Desert Palace)
    Hetcenus - Ivory Gadget (Chrome Gadget) (A good piano remix is just that)
    KungFuChicken! - The Wait is Over! (Data Select)
    Rexy - Schumacher Bar (Competition Menu)

Ugh
    GaMeBoX - Robotnik Radio (S&K Boss 1)
    GaMeBoX - iMushroom (Mushroom Hill)

As you can see, overall, it's okay, but there's some issues, a bit too much variety in styles, and some great tracks in some cases. Many of them fall just a little short of being 'Good' in my eye, though I am very critical.

15. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    I was pleasantly surprised after checking this project out.
    My thoughts:
    I would have to say my favorite is "Walk on Water" as Hydrocity is one of my favorite zone tunes and that remix really nailed it well.

I wish the Angel Island one had gone on longer after reaching the 'burning Angel Island' part. It was really starting to get good there.

I'm a sucker for boss music so "Scrambled Eggman", "Malicious Fingers", and "The Doomsday" really did it for me too.

In short, check this out. Not every song may be for you, but they're all very well done. Chances are you'll find at least a few you'll put on repeat for awhile.

16. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    ANYONE WHO OVERLOOKS THE EFFORT PUT INTO "LIVE AT THE SANDOPOLIS" AND "SCRAMBLED EGGMAN" NEEDS TO BE CRUCIFIED.

Seriously. That song is worth the entire download-if this was a CD in the store, that song would be worth the entire track. Listen to it, the intracacy, the harmonies, it's damn well near perfect.

Seriously. BrainCells, you own all of us remixers.

EDIT: Add External Excavation to the set of remixes that I like a ton. I dunno what's with it, it's just cool, kinda like "House of Cards", Hedgehog Heaven.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Dead Batteries, anything else sucks and is bias.

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Dead batteries is okay, I like the guitar, but it somehow sounds kinda fake, I don't like the echo they used.

19. nineko

nineko

italy
    Do you want to see a good example of an overlooked awesome song? By a coincidence, it's a ReMix of a Sonic song, Aquatic Ruin.

Go here: http://remixcompetition.doulifee.com/PrcSo...rc.php?prcid=46
    Download the 1st and the 2nd placed song. The 1st entry (Majeliss) may be more catchy and everything, but on a technical aspect, the 2nd entry (Rexy) is (in my opinion) maybe the best remix ever written. I admit that at first I voted for Majeliss' track, but I kept on listening to both of them and I quickly overrode my vote, since Rexy's entry is definitely better, it has everything a good remix should have.

And this is my last off-topic in this thread, I promise.

20. Wemes

Wemes

I like most of this. I'm sorry to those of you who don't but meh, whatever. I'll probably throw this on my MP3 player just because I have the space.

I'm not one to be so into music though. I generally don't listen to remixes because there's usually too much deviation form the original melody, but I won't discredit the effort given here either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.