don't click here

Jason Kuo contacted

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I contacted Jason Kuo, and he turned out to be a quite cool guy. Well, anyway, he said I can ask him questions about the development of the Sonic games he worked on and other games too.

He worked on a fuckton (40) of games, including:

Sonic Spinball (testing)
    Sonic 3/Sonic & Knuckles (lead testing)
    Sonic R (project coordination)
    Sonic Adventure (script editor)
    Sonic Riders (=P)
    Sonic Xtreme (he was there from the beginning till the end)
    Megadrive Alladin (QA)
    Streets of Rage 3 (testing)

He wasn't anyone very special (like a programmer), so he doesn't have any protos or stuff like that. But I was told he knows many people, so he might have some valuable contacts. And apart from that, he might know stuff about developement of games, despite being 'just' a tester in most of the older ones.

So yea, questions plz.

2. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    [​IMG]

Ask him what he knows about any concept art(well, more like see if he has any contact with the people who made this concept art), the obvious questions about any planned but eliminated levels, or else anything to do with whether anything was changed from the versions he played to the final versions of any Sonic games.

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    script editor for Sonic Adventure? Ask him about the scrapped Dragon boss from Sky Chase!

4. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    If he was the lead tester. How can he not have a S3&K beta. Well, if nothing else. Ask him how S3&K changed during production.

5. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Most likely because they wouldn't let him take it out of the building.

Actually, that brings up a good question. What was the process they had to go through to actually test a game? Did he have any contact with those NEC machines they used to assemble the ROM image? If so, what were they like?

6. Tanks

Tanks

I'd like to hear his version of the story about the dispute between Sega Japan and the Sonic Xtreme Team. I'd also like to know if Sonic 3D Blast(megadrive) was just a clone of Sonic Xtreme Genesis.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Ask him if he knows anything about the scrapped areas in Sonic Adventure.

8. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    If he was Lead tester of S3/K, ask him if he got to see any of the progress in developing the levels. Specifically Flying Battery. =P

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd like to know if he knows anything about that "Sonic Stadium" project and if it has anything to do with Sonic 3D Blast, or that ROM which says SONIC CRACKERS in its title screen.

You might want to ask this same thing to any other SEGA guy...

10. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Lead testing on S3K? Ask about the red spheres in debug in Sonic 3. I seem to recall us eventually deciding they were for testing purposes only, anyway.

11. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Ask about the scrapped SA stuff we know of, like the dragon boss in the Sky Chase stage and Super Sonic in normal stages.

EDIT: Hehe, ask him if he knows about this:
    http://xcult.sonic-cult.org/dispart.php?ca...subid=1&artid=4

I'd tell you to ask about the motorbike stages, but there really isn't anything we don't know about them.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...We don't know why were they cut.

13. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So you ask the script editor "Why was feature X taken out of game Y" =P

14. Ask him why Streets of Rage 3 was completely different to Bare Knuckle 3 (why it was made harder, why ash was takein out) unless we alredy know this?

15. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Ash was really obvious, and the difficulty difference might be something similar to what was done with Final Fantasy IV/II, just vice-versa.

16. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    Only a programmer would know that. They make jokes like that one :P I had a list of jokes I made somewhere heheh. Some of them are very cool - like one of my carts has a serial number like GM 31415926 :)

17. Xilla

Xilla

I'd like to know more about the SoR3 motorbike stages, they seemed to have been pulled from the game at the 11th hour (hacking shows that the stages were pretty much complete).

Now, seeing as he was a tester for that game I'm not really expecting him to know the real reason for why they were cut, but maybe he played them in an earlier build and could give us more information about them, like how did they play? (in normal gameplay)

18. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    When you get back online drx, give us an update if you have one on how this is coming along still ;P

19. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    emailed him 2 seconds ago

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.