don't click here

Need opinions on some art

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by StephenUK, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Some of you may know that I've been working on a zone for my hack called Great Gate Zone. Basically, I've looked over the background and the general feel of the level, and it isn't matching up. The foreground seems to be getting an atlantean feel, whereas the background is nothing like. Based on that, I've made a mockup of a new look I'm considering giving the zone, in the hope that I can maintain this atlantean feel.

This only shows the top half of the background. The lower background will be that of a ruined city. I'll also be making some modifications to the top half of the background, but this pic should give you the general idea.

Comment plz.

[​IMG]

2. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    I dunno, I'm not really digging it. Although this IS a mockup, and that's probably why everything looks so mismatched. I think the background would look better if we could see the ruins, rather than just endless blue water.

3. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I like the little Sonic 1 reference to the Pedestal the Fish is on.

But, If what you say at SSRG is true, then I have no problem with it all. A+

4. PaintGamma

PaintGamma

SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!! Member
    Between the X and Z keys.
    Pipe Haus v.2.0
    Maybe add some little ruin shilouetts (sp) in the background..?

Other than that, it's kicks major ass. It looks straight from a Sonic game.

5. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    If you can do a second mockup showing the ruined city in the lower half of the backround, I'll be able to form a better opinion. At the moment, it looks great, but somewhat blank.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I don't like the poles right next to the waterfall. Though the background fits well. Isn't it from Knuckles Chaotix? I think MMZ. And I think that the "bridge" could use a bt of fixing as well, looks a bit off.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I personally feel like the background does not fit as well as the old one did. The style of art is different than the foreground.

8. Shade

Shade

I'm liking what I am seeing, and once you spruce up the bottom half of the background, it oughta look great. Looking forward to that update.

9. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    At the moment, I'm working on putting that background in my hack, but I'm keeping a backup of the old one as well. Once I'm done, I'll post a couple of ingame screenshots and from there you can decide which really is the better background. That background is indeed from MMZ of Chaotix, and therefore uses the MARS colour system. I've converted it to standard MD colours, so it might fit a bit better. I'm just piecing it together now, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

10. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Yeah, what the others said. Lets see it with the ruins implemented. The foreground looks incredible, but the background, as it is now, seems out of place. It might be helpful to let us see it with the old b/g as well.

11. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Stephen and I both agreed about this. The old background (at least the top half) did not match the Atlantean style of the level. The more and more he edited the foreground, the more the top half of the background clashed.

Personally, I find the new background to be teh sex. Ruins situated far out towards the sea is one thing I've always wanted to see in a hack. I give thumbs up, Stephen... although, you already knew my input.

12. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

All the old images of the level.

13. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Yeah, after seeing those, none of those really have the right Sonic feel to them. After you put the ruins in the new b/g, lets see it. I think my complaint is that a massive sea of blue will contrast too much with the foreground, so more details, like a ruined city, may be just what is needed.

14. Tom41

Tom41

Pheer the baby EggRobo! Oldbie
    UK
    To me, it just looks too gray-blue. Perhaps a greater variety of colors would help?

Also, where did you get all your graphics from? The fish is clearly from Sonic 1's Special Stage (albeit recolored), the background looks to be from Ecco 1 or 2, and everything else (apart from the stone pattern) seems to be from Sonic 1.

15. StephenUK

StephenUK

Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    Well once the lower half of the background is in, there will be a variety of colours.

The art is from the following:

Foreground > Sonic Unity Beta screenshots

Old Upper Background > SYZ, S1

Old Lower Background > Sonic Unity Beta Screenshots

Statues > SS and MZ, S1

Gems > LZ, S1

New Upper Background > MMZ Day, Knuckles' Chaotix

New Lower Background > Probably end up being original by me (unless someone knows where I can get some decent atlantean style art - don't say ecco, coz I've been there and tried that.)

All other little details, such as bridge, columns etc > Me

16. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Is this Ristar b/g art any use to you?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Its the best I can think of at the moment for art that has some sort of ruins in the background.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Haha! I remember that BG... He actually had it ported way back about March or so last year. Good times. =P

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I personally find those BG/FG too recognizable... Perhaps you should edit them a little?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

Well, you already saw my opinion on SSRG Forums, but I was wondering, but yeah. I'd suggest using the new art you had over this one since there is "too much green." Sonic games have a full pallete of different colors. :P

20. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    After looking at those, I can definately see why change was needed, the previous backround's upper half was fine (I liked the SYZ backround peices you used) however, the lower half of the old backround did indeed leave something to be desired. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for the new lower half of backround.

Edit: corrected some grammar, I'm half asleep here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.