don't click here

Hay guys update..

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Cinossu, Apr 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    .. ehe, if you mean the fact there's a future post in the future, that's just because I haven't given the timezones any changes in object layout. :D; It'll just warp you straight back into the same timezone. Same with Past posts in Past. Error prevention. :P

It'll eventually have the Badnik Transporter ala Sonic CD. I need to find space in VRAM for the artwork, though. So that'll be fun. c.c;
    .. and yes, there are Chaos Emeralds in it too. So, two sets of Special Stages, as it were...
    [​IMG]
    .. So things like this are possible.

2. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I did actually have it as SCD style as well at one point, but it was only released like that to a few people I trust, and I refuse to discuss my hack in detail here, coz the last 2 times sparked off arguments including the "LOst vs the world" one. I've changed the time travel yet again since then to make it a bit more original and to allow me to have some significant level layout changes between timezones.

As you will have seen from SCD, the run and warp method really restricts design changes between timezones coz otherwise you end up warping through walls and get no end of problems. Now I've made it utilise the Giant Rings instead, in a similar way to which Sonic 3 handled the special stages. This allows for a bit more exploration and could add a bit more replay value, especially once I get the badnik creation machine thing in the Past.

I've got to program the new special stages as well, but I'm keeping details on that disclosed for now. Only a couple of people I trust know exactly what's happening there, but it'll be something different from S2 style special stages.

3. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Well Cinossu, If you are looking for a hack tester, I would like to be one of them because I never got to play Sonic CD before, and it seems that you are trying to make it as "Sonic Cd'ish" as possible.

4. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I'm not looking for any testers right now, as this hack is nowhere near that stage yet. But thanks for the offer. :P

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    No problem, just trying to help out.

6. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Well, here's my question. Is it Sonic 1 with SOnic 1 levels intact? That is wht I would be hoping for. Just like a Sonic Plus kinda game. same levels, but with a time travel feature. I usually aint much for level hacks. Whatever you wind up doing I have to say I am impressed so far.

7. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    Trust me, it'll be teh fackin' sex.

8. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Um, first off, it's Sonic 2, not Sonic 1. :P
    Secondly, yes, it'll mostly be a Sonic 2+ type-affair, with Time Travel added to existing zones in Sonic 2 with some added ones too.. oh, and Act 3s for all zones (and Act 2s too for those that only had one originally).

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'm not sure if you answered this question fully, so I'll ask it anyway...

Will each time zone have a different layout (or at least a few minor changes), and will you be restoring the zone in sonic 2 beta, because I'd like to see a future of Hidden Palace Zone (or at least a good pallet change).

10. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    [​IMG]
    I "restored" Hidden Palace and Wood Zone ages ago. It was one of the first things I did with my split disassembly, actually. Not a hard thing to do, at all.
    .. and as for different layouts, not majorly like I think Stephen is planning, but subtle like Sonic CD's, yes.

11. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Remember, if you need any help, you know who to call. I'm dying to do a bit of hacking, and helping people out is the only wayy I can think of >_>

12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Nova Scotia, Canada
    Well if you are so "dying" to hack, why don't you start your own game?

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Many reasons. Lack of inspiration; lack of ideas; too much work and not enough time to put forth towards said ideas, etc.

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    No level changes. Exellent. It sounds like esreals sonic 2 long version is gonna have a run for its money.

15. BadCopNoDonut

BadCopNoDonut

O RLY? Oldbie
    Sonic D T
    Just to set you straight, Sonic Hachelle Bee made Sonic 2 Long Version, not Esrael. Esrael is the first one to make us Dust Hill Zone, and his game was the basis for S2-L.V., but he wasn't the one who actually made that particular hack.

16. Abwayax

Abwayax

a.k.a. Adrian Malacoda Member
    A Sonic 2 with time travel? Looks interesting... It's so interesting to see actually new hacks, when there's so many simple pallete/layout/sprite hacks floating around. I earnestly anticipate this.

When you said you'd add extra acts to some of the zones... Methinks it'd be cool to see a Metropolis Act 4 (if it's possible), but that's just my opinion. :-/

Oh, and on the title card, I think the "Zone x" text should be changed to "Act x". I know SCD calls acts zones, but I believe it makes more sense to stick to the traditional scheme.

17. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    I personally prefer "Zone 1, 2, 3 etc" to "Act 1, 2, 3 etc", so that's staying.. and with the way I've done things now Metropolis cannot have a fourth act :x Sorry. Besides, the way I intend to have the Zone 3s is Sonic CD style too, a mini-level with 100 rings before the boss and that's it. The only exception to this will be Metropolis, which already has a third act, and Death Egg, where Zone 3 is the silver sonic/robotnik final boss etc.

18. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    When you are making the Death Egg stages, are you going to create your own tiles, or use the tiles that are left from Chemical Plant Zone? Is the time travel going to be exactly the same as Sonic Cd? (If you don't mind me asking.)

19. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack
    Please get dead right now.

Please get dead again.

Moving on from telling stupid people to get dead, there's one thing I'm -quite- interested in. And that would be music. Are there going to be music changes for the different timezones? That would be a major accomplishment, and also make the game very Sonic CD-like.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm... I wonder how will the Death Egg Past look like. Or perhaps it's going to be a "special level" with no time travel? If it's set too many years in the past, Sonic might just find himself floating in the vast space. =P

Anyway, this is getting better and better, great job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.