don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I replay Sonic 1 often, and I've only grown to enjoy it more as the years go on.

This is what playing it as a platformer instead of as a "Sonic Gameā„¢" does to a mf

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Sonic 1 and 2 are the most replayable games in the series as far as I'm concerned. Could go through one (or both) of those pretty much every day if I had the time to kill.

I still haven't gone back to finish Superstars for the first time. It's good but the bosses were draining on me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Sonic 1 is the most elegantly designed game. I also disagree with people who say it isn't real Sonic. I consider it pure and undistilled Sonic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    It is odd to say the first game in a series isn't a "real" entry in that series when it literally was the game that defined what said series was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Is anyone even really saying this? Sonic 1 isn't as good as other Sonic games, but I've never heard the idea that it doesn't count.

6. Playing Sonic 1 endlessly on the phone in the mid-2010s is what really cemented it as a great game in my eyes. I always liked it, but would go for 3K first and 2 after if given the option.

Not having the spindash really makes it tough for people to go back to if they've experienced the later games first. However, I think learning to play Sonic 1 FAST without a spindash is important for helping people understand how the game is intended to function.

In general, the spindash is too much of a crutch for most gamers and they don't learn how to take advantage of rolling. They run, hit into an enemy, spindash, jump, hit into an enemy, spindash, lose steam before an incline or slope, spindash, etc.

7. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    Sonic 3nK
    Sonic Mania
    Sonic 2
    Sonic Superstars
    Sonic 1

(Almost there)

Sonic CD

Those are probably my rankings but the things is I could play any of first 5 games and have a good time. Can't say that about CD.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    No one says that. What a lot of people say is it isn't truly a Sonic game as it isn't really about speed. The developers were still figuring out what Sonic was.

And they are completely wrong.

9. Mana

Mana

I like Sonic 1 but it DOESN'T focus oj speed. Green Hill Zone, Star Light Zone, and Spring Yard Zone do but they're juxtaposed with Marble Zone, Labyrinth Zone, and Scrap Brain Zone which focus more on traditional platforming than any other Classic Sonic game.

If anything, I kind of got why people liked CD so much after playing 1 right before it. It offered the freedom 1 promised but seldom delivered on (how it takes advantage of this extra freedom is up to your own opinion though).

I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring Sonic 1 to the others but saying it's as focused on speed as the others is objectively not true.

10. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    The point is that just because not all the levels are speed focused does not therefore mean it is not as much a Sonic game

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Sonic 2 > Sonic Mania > Sonic 1 > Sonic 3K > Sonic CD > Superstars > Sonic 4

12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    There is something wrong with this line of thinking. This promise only exists in hindsight. Sonic 1 never promised an Ideal Sonic Freedom, which then they couldn't figure it out in time so they released it with Marble Zone in it saying like "sorry guys this is kind of a beta". No, Sonic 1 is a whole experience in itself, and if we're talking about the expectations it should be comapred against, it's a massive, massive jackpot.

It defined the core tenets on which every following game would iterate, then creating other tenets and expectations that Sonic 1 never set out to follow.

13. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    I'm seeing so many people get it wrong here, here's the actual order :V
    Sonic 3K > Sonic 1 > Sonic Superstars > Sonic Mania > Sonic 2 > Sonic CD.
    End of discussion.

14. Felik

Felik

If you like Sonic 1 so much, why don't you marry then? :colbert:

15. Mana

Mana

Awesome. I still don't like Sonic CD or it'd level design.

16. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Who's talking about CD

17. Mana

Mana

Well you quoted me about CD. I know Sonic 1s experience is deliberately what it is but there's also a reason they never tried it again, no matter what merits.

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    heres a pic of my wedding
    upload_2024-4-17_19-52-4.png

19. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Why has this thread become about listing which mainline 2D Sonic games you like best? I thought it was about Sonic Superstars.

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    At least we all seem to agree Superstars counts as a classic game. The arguments over whether Sonic 4 counts always made me roll my eyes, lol