don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    It's the opposite, actually. The Heavies are playing with something they really don't understand. They're teleporting the ship, but they have no control over it (other than deactivating the machine hooked up to Warp Topaz to stop it altogether), hence the ship blipping out in a predictable pattern (props to Fang for figuring that out with just a cursory glance of readings in Eggman's base honestly). Starline's extensive research allowed him to open portals at will to wherever he wanted and knew that Super Sonic juicing up the thing would have some real kickback (though he did overstate it).

Starline was also much more creative with it than the Heavies, who've just hooked it up to the ship and called it a day, whereas Starline was able to use it to clown Sonic and Silver in his first encounter with them. Honestly the real savant here is Sonic, who was able to do at-will portalling as Super Sonic during his first time using the Topaz (though maybe that was due to getting lucky in a do-or-die situation, given he didn't have all that much control over it in 900th Adventure.

Anyway, while it being the Topaz is obvious in hindsight, I'm really appreciative of it tying the classic and modern settings together into a linear continuity, which we've known for the while is a case but hasn't really been represented in the comics since the Archie book. I really hope this is another step towards having the currently classic-exclusive characters in the modern setting someday so they can get to appear on a more consistent basis.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So since I don't read IDW, why has there been no regular series issue since January?

EDIT: Or is it the IDW usual of trying its best to off itself?

3. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Because the main series is on hiatus for the sake of this series.

4. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Very much liking these. I believe the Warp Topaz is really the first thing that has really appeared across the Classic & Modern series. The Anniversary issues have normally never had anything to truly tie them to the modern series. Since the Hooligans nor the Hard Boiled Heavies appeared in Modern times (Games or comics). Heck, even the Chaotix haven't appeared in Classic games or comics, and Espio was IN the dang Fighters game

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Fang #4 is out.

So it looks like Fang had the Warp Topaz all through Superstars and up to an undetermined point when it then found its way into the cave where Starline found it. Did any of Fang's boss fights involve any warping? I don't think they did but I don't remember much specific about a game so mediocre. Would be some neat connective tissue.

6. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    No, there was really nothing Fang does that would suggest he has the Warp Topaz. Fang has a stage or two where he attacks you in his vehicle, and at the end of Trip's story he fights in a giant Fang mech. Neither Eggman or Fang have anything to do with the final boss either.

It at least gives a nice reason as to why the Heavies are not involved in Superstars. I mean maybe this is working towards a Superstars Plus DLC where the Warp Topaz comes into play? Doubt it, but maybe.