don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR

Yeah, but not for sixty dollars.

Honestly, if this game released without any weird baggage for thirty dollars, I don't think the bad taste would have been left in people's mouths.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    The game could have been sold at $20 and it still would have left a bad taste in my mouth. I simply wouldn't also think it overpriced.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    Bad mood?

4. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I imagine it's that we're all adults here, and considering this game is kinda polarizing, it would probably be best if you made your own decision rather than someone telling you what to do. As adult Sonic fans we've been through the "buy this it will be amazing" disappointment and the "I have a lot of issues with this crappy game, don't pay for it" that turn out to be minor nitpicks at best. Read what people have said about it and make your own decision.

5. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    (To clarify just in case, "Bad Mood?" wasn't a snarky quip)
    Anyway, yeah, true. I should be more considerate as to not waste people's time. You guys have bills to pay, I bet. And if you guys spend your free time here I think you'd rather it not be spent on answering rather fruitless questions. (rather rather rather, I say that word a lot, don't I?)
    So I'll try and form my own thoughts like a person, between you and me I'm not the best at making decisions.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    If you're unsure of buying it, maybe try renting it or borrowing it from a library, if that's possible. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit but there's definitely some Dumb BullshitTM that could dissuade you.

7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

This game was on sale at Best Buy for like $20 a month ago or so? That's when I nabbed it. Wasn't gonna buy it for anything higher. No way this game is worth $60.

8. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I enjoyed the game, while I agree with the consensus that the bosses are miserable, I disagree with the notion that it's a bad game. I wouldn't pay $60 for it, but personally, I've only paid $60 for a game once in my life. I'd say it's a solid game at $40.

9. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If you can find it for like $30 (which I see it often sold for) I'd recommend it. It's a decent game and has some good level design, it's just not incredibly polished or remarkable in any big way.

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It's a worthy successor to Sonic 4 Episode 2, not Mania. A good game, not great. We'll get a Plus announcement any day now...

11. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, as much as I dislike the game, I did enjoy parts of it, and wouldn't call it outright bad. For me it's just more on par with the good spinoffs than the good mainline games, if that makes any sense.

12. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

I doubt they'll make a plus version. That seems to only be for digital-only games that are receiving a physical edition. Since this was released as a physical game, I don't think it'll be re-released any time soon.

13. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    What do you guys think the reception for this would've been like if it was the Project Needlemouse that SEGA promised us in Sonic 4?

Remember, Episode 1 of Sonic 4 was met with good reviews. I think if they released this game back then, it would've been heralded as a return to form for Sonic, imo. It's really a decent game, weird music and bosses aside.

14. MH MD

MH MD

I mean recent sonic releases all seems to get support, so if not "Plus" , it will still get a DLC this year anyway, it's a way for them to prolong the shelf-life of their titles

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If Superstars released in 2010, it would have been a smash hit. But a lot happened within the Sonic franchise and retro gaming scene at large in the 13 years between S4E1 and Superstars. Superstars simply manages to miss the mark.

But nah, I simply can't get on board with this. Both episodes of Sonic 4 suck and completely fail at what they set out to do. Whilst Superstars unfortunately has its share of Sonic 4isms, overall the game plays and feels much more like any of the other Classic games than either episode of Sonic 4.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, comparing Superstars to 4 is a laughable comparison. It's not on the same level graphically or with physics. I'd argue the music is better as well.

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Episode 1 is absolutely unfair to compare to. Episode 2? It's a fair bit closer. Superstars is better than Episode 2, but by less than I thought. I can't forgive its automation, but aesthetically it's on par.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Sonic 4: Episode II is not perfect and has obviously flaws, but it is somewhat competent and had a decent effort compared to Ep. 1.

So the way I see it, Sonic 4: Episode II is worst than Superstars but way better than Sonic 4: Episode I.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  19. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

Eh, at first I thought Episode II was a decent improvement over I. Honestly though? In hindsight it's more of a sidegrade.

20. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    i mean, i paid 30 bucks for it and still came away with my laundry list of complaints...