don't click here

Sonic Heroes Remake in UE5 Rumored, So Who Knows If It'll Happen

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Kilo, Mar 25, 2024.

1. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Whenever people talk about Sonic Heroes being buggy I have to remind myself that most people played the PS2 version.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I have the GameCube version and trust me, it's pretty buggy there too. Nowhere near as absurd as the PS2 version, mind you, but I'd say it's about on par with the first Adventure (which is absurdly buggy, but I think people are more willing to put up with it because it's designed better for the most part).

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The only major version-related bug I know of is that some of the splines on the PC version don't have speedcaps, so you'll sometimes run so fast in an automated section that you fling off and die.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    ah okay. I'm still pretty confused on this tbh. A lot of gaming news sites started reporting on this after Zippo made his blog post about how it's already in development, then Midori comes along and says it's not in development but just being considered. So it may or may not happen and if it does exist it's probably nothing more than a post-it note that has "sonic heroes remake maybe?" written on it and stuck on a fridge at SEGA.

I'll just assume it's not happening at all, at least until I hear more concrete and definite info.

5. I can see it being one of those FUD kind of rumors made specifically to make people panic and generate a lot of attention for the source, Sonic Team spending time on this and a big engine change rather than the next open zone game is exactly the kinda thing a lot of people don’t want to hear. It does weirdly echo what Sonic Team did when they originally made Heroes though.

6. CharlaChale

CharlaChale

Little Dolly Member
    Well, the Heroes rumor has been debunked, I think, so back to Adventure

(Or.. uh, still talk about Heroes, since this is now its own topic.)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  7. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    Well it's not that it's been debunked, more so that in the confusion and excitement, language barriers, and Zippo running his mouth, that the details got muddied. Here's what's absolutely certain:
    • Sega wants to start using UE5, this is not a total abandonment of the Hedgehog Engine, they just want to start using new technologies.
    • They are considering a Sonic Heroes remake using UE5 in order to learn the engine. However this is not a guarantee that it will be made, or if it will even be a product rather than a learning experience for developers.
    • They are not making Adventure 1 or 2 remakes despite repeated statements of being interested in doing so.
    Until another accurate leaker comes out, because Zippo ran Midori off the internet, or Sega themselves says anything, which could be 3 or 4 years down the road given it's only in the consideration phase, this is it for info on the Sonic Heroes remake.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. RDNexus

RDNexus

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Zippo ran their mouth about a Heroes remake being fully in production. Everyone ran the story and shared Midori's tweet in response to Felipe from Universo Nintendo to make it sound like there was some credibility to it. Midori clarified there is no remake in production, it was just a consideration. So now everyone has an egg on their face.

Amazing that Felipe is getting away when they brought Midori into this mess by trying to flex on literal who.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. RDNexus

RDNexus

There must always be a scapegoat...and it's never the offenders...

11. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I’m not gonna go and defend heroes from any flaws people have with it, despite me enjoying the game, I agree with most of the criticisms. I think simply making the controls more bearable and less janky shit like rail switching would go a long way for making the game feel less awful. Also let’s be real even if I complain I’d buy it anyways so why not Sega lets do it.

12. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    ah, hell. it's been a hot minute since the originals, i'd be down to play a competent remake of even just team sonic's story (though obviously i'd prefer all four stories intact). probably it'd be more fun than the latter half of superstars, at least.

13. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    No, everyone on Twitter is dogging pretty hard on Zippo right now, saddened by Midori's departure, and he hasn't held much credibility outside of journalists that want clicks.

Worse is that Zippo's gone on to gloat about being a better leaker, which is so god damn arrogant.
    [​IMG]
    (Most of the things he was accurate on were lucky guesses surrounded in a sea of nonsense, or he's edited his blogs after actual leakers posted accurate info. The things he's gotten right do not speak for themselves.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    A Heroes remake actually would interest me because it had great potential that it doesn't come close to utilizing. I hated it back then and still hate playing it now, whereas I can still play either Adventure today and have a great time. So maybe Heroes should be the one to get the polish-up. Of course the devil is always in the details with these things.

16. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Honestly a Heroes remake utilizing the same level tropes but much more refined would be awesome. The art direction was easily the best part of that game. And as much as I'm sure the Hedgehog Engine is fine, I can't help but think that switching over to UE5 would be a lot better for the general development process since that would be less resources put into developing the proprietary engine and instead more focus on the game. So hey, two birds with one stone if they go through with it. Familiarize your developers with UE5 and also get a remake that doesn't need to waste excess resources in the process.

I also am not a game developer so I could be WAY off base. Thinking how much Forces development was used just updating the Hedgehog Engine for a year or two just always made me wonder why they stick with it.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

Heroes introduced the lock-down rooms with required enemies — one of the worst things ever.
    Very very slippery movement, and the first time the momentum gameplay suffered in 3D.
    ehhh

The locations are nice though.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd really trust Sonic Team to realize what's so shit about it and then be competent enough to fix it.

Rumour or not, I'll just keep playing Sonic World DX, which basically gives you a fun version of Heroes gameplay already.

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I could get my friends into playing SA2, but Heroes was too much of a kids game for them. Man, when it came out, we were like 12 or something. I'm excited to see people talk about it again.

Heroes tickles a different nostalgia bone.

20. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I was 10 when this game came out, and to be honest I didn't like it, it felt like a huge disappointment after SA1 and SA2. I mostly swore off new releases of the Sonic series after that.

I don't trust Sonic Team or any subcontractors (notable exception obviously being Tax/Stealth and co.) to do a good job on frankly anything, so if they wanna waste money and effort creating a bad remake of an early 3D Sonic game, well, I'd rather they waste it on Heroes than to watch them fumble SA1 or SA2.