don't click here

"Sega Gaming Violated California Consumer Protection Laws" with mobile Sonic games? WTF???

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Willie, Mar 18, 2024.

1. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    A website called GamingClaims.com is claiming that "Sega Gaming Violated California Consumer Protection Laws" with mobile Sonic games. Does anybody here know anything about this? A friend on Facebook messaged me about it last night. The website claims people are eligible for compensation if they played Sonic the Hedgehog, SonicDash, Sonic Forces, Sonic the Hedgehog Classic, Sonic CD Classic, Crazy Taxi Classic, and Streets of Rage Classic.

2. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Member
    Canada
    The only thing that these games have in common that comes to my mind is that they ask for your age on startup for targeted advertising. Which could be a form of data collection, especially that of children, that California's not okay with.

3. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Unusual -- you'd think they'd explain what actually happened on the website. And then the law firm the website mentions doesn't list SEGA as a case they're currently investigating. There was a class-action lawsuit in California against SEGA in 2021, but it's about something completely unrelated.

It seems the same lawyer and firm have done the same process many times with multiple companies in sight -- Coinbase, JUUL, T-Mobile. And every time, people are just as confused. More information is needed.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    upload_2024-3-18_19-5-51.png

So many jokes to make about being in a Sonic the Hedgehog internet community, so little time...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Mobile or not, most people would argue that you likely qualify for compensation if you played Sonic Forces, yes.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    The only thing I can think of is that they were initially ad-free paid games and then changed payment model to be ad-driven free games. There's a similar thing going on with Prime Video now, where they've added ads to a subscription previously advertised as removing ads.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa
    that maybe? It's a bit vague - too much sun I guess.

8. Linkabel

Linkabel

They started running that ad on social media around January. I can't say it's 100% a scam, but if you look up the people involved online they don't have a good track record if you look them up across various places.

At work I've seen scams like this where they take your info down to see if you qualify. They then send you a follow-up to say that you do, take down your financial info in case they get a settlement and then use that to steal from you.

9. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    That's funny. I also had someone who was browsing Facebook bring this up to me. I assumed it was just a generic class action about the shitty monetization of those games.

10. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I happened to see this on Facebook and couldn’t stop laughing!

11. cartridgeculture

cartridgeculture

Wiki Contributor Member
    So here's what concerns me. Normally when you see these class-action lawsuit websites, its after the two parties have already reached a settlement. They usually also tell you the case name itself.

Instead, this page is saying, "hey, we BELIEVE Sega broke the law, and if they did, you COULD be entitled to compensation." So its basically a mailing list for if that ever comes to pass? I wouldn't feel safe with them just holding onto my personal data. What's worse, go to their website's current cases page. Where's the Sega case? Why do none of the links work? Why does this feel more like an advertising firm than a law group? And gosh just look at their BBB.

Don't give this website any of your info.

EDIT: oops @Palas and @Linkabel basically said this already lol

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    If you look up Jeremy Troxel, the attorney who's supposely heading all this, you'll end up in this profile:

upload_2024-3-26_23-55-15.png

Harvard, recommendations from other profiles... looks legit enough. But a single reverse image search will reveal another profile with that same picture:

upload_2024-3-26_23-56-39.png

Which, if it didn't look shady enough before, should warn anyone not to touch anything related to this with a three-meter pole. Not to mention you won't find any ther vestiges of the guy anywhere else.

Interestingly, his firm seems to actually exist with other lawyers associated with it, so I don't really understand what kind of situation is this.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List