don't click here

Sonic X Shadow Generations announced, releases Autumn 2024

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by charcoal, Jan 29, 2024.

1. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    So are you polishing a turd?

2. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    No it's a kid friendly Project Altered Beast, c'mon :eng101:

3. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I need the in-universe explanation for Shadow not being at Sonic's birthday party at the start of the game.

Sonic x Shadow Unleashed. When the sun goes down, you can either play as Sonic the Werehog, or you can see what Shadow was up to when the world was shattered, in an exciting new mode where you play through new Daytime-styled stages, but at night!

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    No cap, I'd buy that.

5. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    Hey don't get greedy now, Shadow's already got Gens and the upcoming movie. Unleashed can have... E-103 Delta! Yeah. :V

6. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Playable Chip in an unnecessary mecha suit to fit the Werehog collision/hitbox like the Fortnite skins :P

7. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Honestly, from what I've had the chance to sample of Unleashed, the werehog didn't seem that bad so long as you know what you're getting into. Unfitting, yes, but not terrible, unless it gets far worse in the later stages I haven't tried. It'd certainly be cool if they found ways to improve or mitigate it, but I'd still buy an as-is PC port of Unleashed in a heartbeat. (Granted, I'd do the same for significantly more questionable entries like Shadow, because I like having PC versions of things, but still.)

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    The Werehog section is serviceable half of the game. But it's a complete genre shift and pace breaker for people who weren't interested in a brawler. Personally I enjoyed it since I love 3D brawlers. I also liked the 3D platforming sections in it, but the levels do tend to drag in length and some sections can get pretty repetitive and dull quickly.

If it was me? I'd probably just sell the Unleashed levels as additional DLC for Shadow Generations. Get even more money from people that way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    The biggest issue I had with the werehog was the crap framerate, I'd hope that they'd fix that in a hypothetical remaster. Perhaps lower the medal requirements and unleashed will be a lot more palatable

10. You're forgetting the most important reason: A sick ass remix.

11. synchronizer

synchronizer

When it comes to the Werehog, I liked the platforming and swinging gameplay akin to a 3D Ristar. I wish they had gone more in that direction instead of introducing combat.

12. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    That's why I didn't mind the werehog levels when I was going through the SD version. They're more focused on platforming and you can spam moves to kill enemies while in the HD version you had to learn how to break blocks and use the QTEs in order to progress.

Though, honestly, I could easily let the werehog levels go if you didn't have to collect medals to progress. That's the bigger issue to me.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I think they should do final rush from SA2 -- I don't care if it's a Sonic stage; they let Sonic do Sky Rail and Radical Highway in Frontiers -- and The Ark from Shadow the Hedgehog. Just to fuck with people. It would be, IMO, very funny.

14. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    final rush would only be good if they sorted out the rail grinding. Generations grinding just sucks.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Why are some of you saying "Shadow 05"? Did I miss something?

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I think it's mainly to avoid any confusion as to whether they're talking about the character or the game.

17. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've changed my mind a bit on the Unleashed reappraisal. It used to really annoy me because I hate the game. Thought it was another annoying example of anything being reappraisad as good so long as you have fond memories of it in your childhood. But I've chilled out a bit on it as I've gotten older. I still don't think it is good at all, but let people enjoy what they like and be passionate about things on their own merits.

That said, I do think some Unleashed fans need a reality check in the sense that it is only hardcore Sonic fans who like the game. The rest of the gaming community largely is uninterested in Unleashed or mocks it. The God Of War lite Werehog sections which take 20 minutes is just one reason lots of us don't like Unleashed. There's also the mandatory medal collecting (which has no warning on the first medal gate lock, and you'll most likely need to go back to Werehog levels). There's the trial and error Daytime stages which are far more punishing abs frustrating than the stages in Colors and Gens. And as much as I know this may shock people, there's also the story. People have fond memories for this game as a serious Sonic game, but a lot of people like myself chiefly remember it for how annoying and awful Chip is.

Even though i hate Unleashed, I would like to see it released on at least Steam. It is good for games to be preserved on Steam. But I think a lot of people need to be real about the fact it is very understandable that SEGA are reluctant to re release it. It's just as much of a laughing stock to many people as Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06. I don't think that means fans should just give up. Devil May Cry 2 has been re released after all. Just don't get mad when clearly less controversial gsnes like Colors and Gens get the remastered treatment first.

18. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Honestly I hate how most rail grinding outside of Unleashed onwards works. balancing itself doesn't really add much value to the gameplay (and at worst is just out of left field and stops you in your tracks because you didn't predict some insane 90 degree turn and didn't adjust your direction to match it immediately) and the weird speed-up but not speed-up of Heroes-06 is too technical to gleam what it means from a gameplay perspective. That's on top of rail switching either twisting your hand into pretzels or making you do insane calculations nobody should have to do to avoid the broken systems and not because you're actually just that sick that you can just do that. I'll take lane changing and timed boosts over that any day (And also because some of those insane calculations are doable in Frontiers anyways and that ends up being the depth the system has while the baseline is allowed to remain the baseline)

Also Final Rush might as well be Final Chase which might as well be... whatever the ARK levels were called in Shadow. Or even Cosmic Wall if you're adventurous.

19. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I had a dream that they added "Who I Am" as the Doom boss music of this new scenario. That'd be awesome.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd love an Unleashed remaster. I like the vanilla game, but it would really benefit from a remaster. Fix the framerate and make the Werehog sections less tedious. Just giving the enemies less HP or making them less numerous would make them shorter and more bearable.

I agree, SA2's rail grinding hasn't aged well IMO. It's just not fun, and there were times I tried to switch lanes but the character missed the side rail and I fell to my death.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024