don't click here

Sonic Prime (Netflix Animated Series)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Can you link to that remake and the comment? I can't seem to find it.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
  3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    That animation is fine except for the fact that it doesn't adhere to the style they did in the first 8 episodes.

I do like that they showed Gemerl flying away though since Prime didn't (which is why I'm not considering it a nod to the character).

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    There was a style?

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Wait... What animation? Could you please provide a link?
    Dumb me, didn't check this page's comments xD

And OH CRAP!!! It really got WAY better than how it was depicted in Prime...

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The style is whatever the 16-bit segment was in the first eight episodes.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That's not bad, but the constant jump cuts don't do it a lot of favors.

8. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Just finished the show.
    I peeked at a comment saying that the show "Sonic 06'd" itself and... not at all? It seems like all the characters created by the creation of the shatterspaces and Sonic and Shadow are fully aware of the events that happened and Sonic is even open to telling everyone ABOUT the shatterspaces. They're just (currently) cut off from them, possibly for good unless someone finds the new location of the Prism.

Also, because Shadow is probably the only one who knows the Prism's new location, I guess that makes him a sort of guardian of his own. that's kind of interesting. Rouge probably bugs him about it a lot.
    I hate this comment from Ian but the second part especially. It feels so disrespectful to the people who worked on the show, it's like he's throwing them under the bus and trying to wash himself of any responsibility AND advertising himself in something addressing people who are probably very mad at the show and want a place to direct the hate towards. I think it's the most tone deaf he's ever publicly been.

Nevermind that that sort of hate just makes actual criticisms that could be taken and built upon should there be more Wildbrain Sonic shows look like even more mindless complaining.

9. With all due respect to Ian I think he should have just stopped making comments like this when he moved past just writing for the comics and let the material he writes speak for itself rather than needing to constantly explain or recontextualize everything on social media or his podcast. It’s frankly bizarre that Sega hasn’t told him to reel it in yet.

10. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    How is saying he wasn't involved in the writing of a show he had nothing to do with, outside of being a lore consultant, throwing ANYONE under the bus?

He's letting people know that any criticisms they have with the show needs to be sent elsewhere as there's nothing he can do about them.

Him saying he has nothing to do with the series except as a consultant is just objective truth. It's not speaking on his own personal feelings about the quality of the series. He's just saying he can't do much about any of it.

Also this show had huge streaming numbers but even in 2021 SEGASAMMY said in an investors meetings that this show wasn't meant to make money and was meant to be part of the brand revival post the movie.

It served its purpose and they probably have seen how older fans feel about the series too so I doubt we'll be seeing another season of Prime.

11. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I just had a realization that:
    The Sonic Advance 3 memory is 20 years ago for us. It may not be for them, but holy motherforking shortballs.

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Shhhhhhh, we don't talk about that.

13. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I watched the rest of part 3 last night and had watched the first two parts months ago. I didn't want to comment on anything though cause I wasn't sure what my thoughts were... and I actually still don't know what I think of the show now. I guess this falls into the category of "It's one of the shows I've seen"?

The voice cast is great, and I like the concept, but... man, I don't think I cared for this series all that much. =/ If you need something to entertain your kids for a while it could work for that; I don't think there's anything super offensive for kids in it (unless you consider meh writing bad for kids).

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    If he just left it at "I was only a consultant", I probably wouldn't have blinked, it's the fact he went on to then promote his own personal work that recontextualized the whole thing.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The comment appears to not be publically visible any more for what it's worth, I assume the account has been privated.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Anyone archive it?

17. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    So it's wrong to plug your work to people who are clearly interested in your writing in a post you know will get shared around all over the internet?

I think you just don't like Flynn personally because I don't see anything wrong with that.

18. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Ian is in an unwinnable situation where people look to him to get the final say on things that he doesn't have the authority or knowledge to give the final say on. Add to this the fact that his podcast is seen as having the "definitive answer" on topics, even though A) the canon sometimes shifts under his feet, and B) he doesn't know the questions beforehand (iirc), so he can't double-check his notes (or with Sega) when answering.

I do think he was a bit unprofessional in basically saying, "Well, it's not my fault Prime doesn't make sense in the canon - it's the fault of those other guys". But I also get the sense that years of getting hounded by fans has eroded his patience a little bit. I'm sure a part of him would like to stop getting these kinds of questions, and then getting picked apart over the smallest details of his answers.

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Doesn't matter because it appears the account was just clout chasing. There was absolutely no reason to believe this person actually worked on the show, it was the only animation-related thing on her profile. It almost looked like she added "animated for Sonic Prime" to her bio as the scene was making the rounds.

20. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I do wonder if it's the same person who handled the Fully Charged pixel art. They posted a video of their process a while ago. They do appear to be pretty good with 2D animation, judging from some of their videos. If not, I'm at least hoping that whomever MoA hired isn't just someone young and inexperienced, because if that's the case, I kind of feel bad for them. Yeah the animation wasn't great, but it certain wasn't so bad that it "makes me want to vomit" like one person on Twitter said.

Also just did a quick peek at Sonic Prime's TVTropes' page and one section mentions that the person who handled the sprite animation wasn't allowed to directly use Sonic and Tails sprites from the game. No idea if that's true or not, but it might explain a thing or two.

As for the show itself, I enjoyed it. Saw the ending coming a mile away, but it definitely had some good moments. I do somewhat agree that the constant fighting was a bit tiresome. It did feel like they might've wrote themselves into a corner when it comes to the final part. At the very least, I really like the animation, and I really enjoyed Shadow's portrayal.

I do sort of wish Nine tried to think outside of the box more with his Grim bots like he sort of did with Grim Big (or whatever it's name is). The idea is fine, but for 6 episodes, it got tiresome. It was pretty much they get destroyed, Nine uses the prism, duplicates them, tires himself out, rinse and repeat. Some fights scenes were good, especially Shadow's, but still. As said, did feel like they wrote themselves into a corner since all the other universes were deteriorating and there's literally nothing in the Grim.

Sonic going all Planet of the Apes when he saw the Big robot did get a chuckle out of me. Did also like his ability for the Grim.

Mangey actually having some knowledge of machinery while still being a feral child is weird. Interesting, but weird. I did enjoy all 3 Roses becoming close and seeing Rusty free the Flicky (who is somehow still alive and unharmed, surprisingly?) from within her, and still function no problem. Dread being convinced of the treasure and returning to save Black Rose was again, predictable, but at least they addressed it. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, but that one character being voiced by Jacksepticeye just disappeared, didn't he? Either they had something planned and they didn't go through it, forgot, or simply just wrote him off. He didn't do much, obviously, but it seems kind of weird. Kind of expected him to suddenly pop up to make things better or worse.

Also maybe it's just me but when we got that upside down view of Mr. Dr. Eggman's head popping out of his robot, it kind of reminded me of how Eggette was conceptualized.

The Chaos Council fighting themselves at the end was predictable, but I did get a chuckle that Shadow waited till he got Rebel Rouge's permission to step in.

The ending definitely imply more could be coming, but I doubt it. Unfortunately in this day and age, any show, especially an animated one could get canned after one season just because. It does seem like most writers in animation as of late try to keep the ending open-ended just in case they come back. It's nothing new, but it feels like it's happening more frequently.

Overall, very predictable here and there, but I enjoyed it. Could be a lot better, but I think it gets the job done. Also the voices for most of the characters were pretty solid, especially Shadow's. Do wonder now if SEGA is gonna try to include some of the variations of certain characters as skins in their mobile games (if they haven't already). I mean, if they're gonna include the movie versions of existing characters and characters exclusive to IDW comics, it'd make sense.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024