don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Cocaine Coast Zone is real 1992 Proto, do not research.

Btw. are they releasing materials on GCZ / CCZ only? Is there anything else?

2. Jaxer

Jaxer

The concept art of an unshaven Sonic pointing at himself with a handgun was the original concept for Mecha Sonic, and he was supposed to be the final boss. We can tell from leftover code in a 6/9/1992 prototype that the Death Egg Robot fight was originally designed for Ocean Wind.

Oh yeah, the documents contain Metropolis material too, as it was the other zone that Tom Payne designed. Who knows, maybe they'll contain the truth about the MZ3-GC connection.

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I mean, it is based off of a planet-destroying laser weapon space station, so it'd track...

4. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    GHZ always was in the game
    You know, it can be weird, cuz it's obviously, and we saw it in NA proto.
    But what about Emerald Hill?
    It's Ocean Wind edited art.
    Just look at it; it has pretty obvious similarities: rocks on fg, island and clouds on bg..
    They add some checkered textures too make it looking more like Green Hill, when they figured out that it will be cut.
    It also explains why it tooks another level slot, instead of Green Hill's one in NA prototype.
    Also enemy list for EHZ looks weird; Snail from past zone (Hill top), coconuts that never was in concepts, wasp/copy of buzzers and piranhas from GHZ.. pretty stupid. Why? Cuz it was made in last moment to make it look more like GHZ.

Also won't be amazed if it will be discovered, that coconuts always were planned for OWZ :colbert:

5. Jaxer

Jaxer

FYI, the Video Game History Foundation is doing a 25-day holiday countdown on their X (ugh) and Patreon, with a new piece of gaming history being dropped each day until December 25th. Patrons of 5 dollars or more get access to said materials one day early.

If we're truly getting said documents "very soon", I highly suspect that we're gonna get them as a part of this countdown.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Is that 25 days from today, or 25 days of December leading to Christmas?

Either way, I would actually not be surprised if this ends up being one of the top items at the end of the list.

7. Jaxer

Jaxer

25 days of December, so we've gotten six entries already, although the latest one can only be accessed by Patrons at the moment.

That has me thinking, should one of us become a Patron so that they could share the materials here 24 hours early? Sure, it's really shitty to leak paywalled Patreon content online, but the WGHF is eventually making it free anyways, not to mention that it's not their material in the first place.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Let's hold off on that kind of talk until we see how it's handled. Bluntly put, despite some of my earlier skepticism, I'd like to give Frank the benefit of the doubt that he understands the potential good will of this community and won't take advantage of it.

A high quality release post with a request for direct donations as a thank you for the effort would go a long way with people here. That's all I'll say on the matter.

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    So end of list, that it will be not in this year

Jk, but who knows, maybe "soon" its January, or February? In this case- it will be funny to pay for content that will not be shown :V

I gorgot, what exactly in that documents? Like, maps for few acts?

Anyway, I think that it's better to close this thread till materials will be released, or at least don't do crazy theories about stuff, that pollute this (and one about general S2 development) thread pretty much, imo.

10. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    Why? What's the point? We've waited for months already. What's 24 more hours?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I think everyone has waited this long, a few more days won't kill anyone. It isn't 'their' material, but I would also remind people that these folks did take the time out of their day to drive to a location and scan all of these documents. There are other people/orgs that would hoard this type of material.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yes, this. Let's not be dicks to the VGHF for the sake of a single day of waiting.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yeah, if it's 24 hours, whatever. Either pay up or wait in that case.

14. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    If dude wants to spend money to nowhere, why do we should stop him? :eng99:

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    He can do that. It's the whole posting it early part we're not liking.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It would be unfortunate if it transpires VGHF have sat on this for months just so they could raise funds and traffic at Christmas.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you, but... others would be more forthcoming with the food.

17. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Seriously, this. Not sure I'd ever be able to trust anyone involved after that if this wound up being the case.

18. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Sounds like standard museology to me. Gather all the material you can with a certain angle for curation and make an event out of it. It's fine.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I will repeat; let's not overreact until we see how the release officially happens. No one wants to see this community extorted, but if the material and presentation is high enough quality and we're not overly charged or repressed from discussing their implications, it'll be fine.

Maybe it really is time to lock this thread until release (or until the year's end if it doesn't come, somehow). At least now we know it's 'likely' coming.

20. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

Hey, remember when Hidden Palace held back the release of some Sonic prototypes and presented them as part of "Sonic Month", and everyone loved it? Good times.

I don't see why this would be any different.