don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ooh I didn't notice that - the wiki didn't flag up the images as being identical.

I did notice some of the PNGs were already optimised but didn't give it much thought.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There was a post about missing Prima Games strategy guides - here's another one:
    https://www.amazon.in/Tokyo-Xtreme-Racer-James-Poolos/dp/0761530371

Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, neé Shotokou Battle 2, aka Tokyo Highway Challenge 2 - I don't think this strategy guide was ever published.

Which is doubly fun because it's mentioned in the manual:
    https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:TokyoXtremeRacer2_DC_US_Manual.pdf&page=20

Fun fact: these games don't have licensed cars. I could have sworn that they did... but nope.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Speaking of Aftermarket stuff, Limited Run re-released Gargoyles about...two months ago?

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So I've done all the sports teams, now I'm doing cars...

[​IMG]

... guess who doesn't understand Le Mans.

[​IMG]

In 1996 my local football team entered a couple of 24-hour race events... and crashed out in both of them. And then it got put in this Dreamcast game.

Nearly 14 years of Sega Retro and we're still finding weirdness.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Oh they just love to make things awkward.

So here's some context - I updated Le Mans 24 Hours

a) because it was missing licensors
    b) because it was missing cheats.

And while I was there, I beefed up the page a bit by adding some lists. Then I realised my planning wasn't adequate for how this sport works.

But double check to see if the PS2 version is broadly the same. I know it revamped some of the menus but it seemed a straight port otherwise OH LOOK

[​IMG]

Oh it would be funny if a PlayStation-branded car existed in a Dreamcast game, but no, of course it doesn't.

[​IMG]

This was entered in the 2000 race, whereas on Dreamcast, it only goes up to 1999. Turns out the PS2 version has a "2000 mode", among other additions... and it remodels the cars, and changes god knows what else, so I'll probably split off the page at some point.

Yes the advertisements for Gran Turismo remain in-tact. Yes that is slightly insane.

But hey

[​IMG]

Sega got there first. They were a minor sponsor for the Chamberlain Engineering team at the 1998 Le Mans. Is this in the Dreamcast game?

[​IMG]

yes... but without Sega. For some reason. It's in the PS2 version as well, but is strangely even less accurate there.

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Probably because the Drivers were all Portuguese and were sponsored by "Sega Portugal" (Ecofilmes)... but the team wasn't ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's exactly what happened with Team Lotus in 1994... Their car had the logo of Sega because Pedro Lamy was sponsored by Ecofilmes

[​IMG]

João Barbosa competed in the 1997 Atlantic Championship under the sponsorship of Sega "of Portugal" (Ecofilmes)... you know ... to avoid conflicts...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Amazing job, nice one Andlabs! This has highlighted the need for better OSS CD dumping tools.

9. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Without wishing to offend anyone... I'd also like to say a BIG THANK YOU to our fellow @Pirate Dragon ...

10. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Oh no, thanks, but all credit to Andlabs for this, fantastic work!

11. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Indeed!!! :) ...

12. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Ever so slightly annoyed that I didn't get to be the one who dumped Wonder MIDI first... but on the other hand I saved a ton of money by losing that last auction. I'm just grateful that it's finally dumped! I'm setting up my Wondermega and SC-88 now to give it a go, and I'll post some video later. Thank you Andlabs!

13. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Fucking GOTY to Andlabs! Amazing that this elusive Bigfoot has finally been documented.

14. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie

15. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    That was way more than I was expecting. I thought it was just going to be a menu but a animated intro???? Nice.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nifty stuff

Just a thought for aspiring emulator developers:
    We could do with a means of uh... "streaming"? CD data. I'm not sure any Mega-CD emulators support audio CD and CD+G... but the console shipped with both types of disc in North America in the form of Rock Paintings/Hot Hits, and while sure, these discs aren't strictly Mega-CD software... they have Sega CD logos printed on them and were clearly intended to be played by the console.

Even if it's a feature only Sega Retro ever makes use of for one wiki article.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    At this point, I really think that the best thing for all of us would be to focus on rewriting a proper "definitive" Mega Drive driver in MAME with the current knowledge, since it already has support for some MIDI modules which could be connected to the emulated Wondermega:

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    MAME is one of those "just play the games" breed of emulators, which is great if you're setting up some multi-cade or want to pirate your way through 50 years of gaming, but not so much if you want a everyday workhorse for documentation. It's a bit too faffy if you need to change settings on the fly, so while it's great that it exists and should absolutely be updated to run these things, I'd want a second option.

Truth be told I want Steve Snake to come out of retirement and patch up Kega Fusion (or at least give us the means to do that ourselves). More accurate emulators are well intentioned, but more often than not struggle with usability... or are missing features... or run like garbage... or in more recent times, can't cope with Windows scaling.

I'll take the hit from 99% to 90% accuracy if it means I don't have to faff around for twice as long.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's exactly the opposite, actually, aims for accuracy above everything and has all kinds of documentation in the source itself.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    "Documentation" as in, "working on a wiki 'documentation'". So for example, when I was working on region coding, I could open a ROM, switch between regions and take screenshots without having to think. It would be a slower process through MAME - the UI is designed to be nonintrusive.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if I want to line up screenshots like a boss... a lot of emulators will fight me, because they're not expecting their users to be as obsessive. No doubt I could do this in MAME... but it would take longer, and when most of my contributions are driven by my "can I be bothered" meter, a few clicks or keyboard presses can make all the difference.