don't click here

Satoshi Okano releases Saturn-era Concept Art [NEW!]

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ParadoxDreams, Nov 23, 2023.

1. Trippled

Trippled

after learning he did samba de amigo stuff, hes been an inspiration for sure, love his stuff :)

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah his bedroom is still pretty silly. He has a Murphy bed there and he has a playroom nearby too with slots and a rocking Eggmobile. But the silliness def fits in more with classic than modern.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Pengi

Pengi

Yeah, Okano said it was a spelling mistake in the tweet itself. It should have been "ADV".

https://twitter.com/okanotion/status/1729058696842662271

In the above tweet he said that the bat character was completely unsolicited. He reiterated this in a couple of other tweets.

https://twitter.com/okanotion/status/1729094806075551892

He drew the bat and spider characters of his own accord.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

So the Bat and Spider were essentially his fan OCs drawn for fun? That's cute! I guess it's just a funny coincidence how they come off like super early ideas for what would become Shadow and Rouge.... kinda sorta.

All the artwork of Eggman hanging out in his Egg Carrier rooms and the tram are so adorable gosh.

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

Seriously I want a 2D classic sonic fan game based off this concept art with the bat and spider characters playable! This art is awesome!

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm speechless. These drawings are like missing puzzle pieces. In the draft with the "A.D.B." lettering, the vampire character fits seamlessly to the rest of characters. Much more than the likes of Infinite or the Zeti ever will. Very intriguing!

Who would you choose between those guys and Big the Cat? Was there a middle option? If yes, how might it have looked like?

I can't wrap my brain around it just yet, but if the series continued in this direction, things would have obviously been very different.

Disclaimer: not necessarily better, just different. Think about it for a sec.

TERIOS

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
  7. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

It's fascinating how... Western this one is. I see a lot of Greg Martin in that Sonic, and something about Tails reminds me a lot of Sonic the Comic for some reason.

Anyway, looks like no one posted the other images from that tweet yet:

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    the perspective in this image is amazing, Okano is a great artist

I also love this illustration of Eggman smoking a cigar. He should canonically do that in-game.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I love this characterization of Eggman so much. He plasters his likeness everywhere while gleefully partaking in his own creations like a big goofball.

That concept art of the Eggman Meeting room is perfect

10. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Huh, I must've overlooked that in my recent playthrough, then. Either way, the fact such things were included in Adventure for the heckuvit really shows how inspired Sonic Team were while making this game. I think they had a lot of fun.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What's that building in the Mystic Ruins pic?

Also, as kazz suggested, I wonder if Fly the Bat and the spider girl served as an inspiration for Rouge? Just like Okano's art inspired the SA1 art style. Has anyone tried asking him?

12. Yeah I thought that too. It's like they jammed Fly and the spider girl together and created Rouge.

13. Knowing that the two characters from these are a spider and a character named Fly, I couldn't help but think of this.

"Will you walk into my parlour?" said the Spider to Fly.
    "'Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy."

14. I'm surprised nobody pointed this out. Fly is actually based on a character from a SNES game Okano worked on.[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  15. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    or rather based on it, here he's called "Flyhigh" but this one has more sonic-isms, even down to the name

16. ParadoxDreams

ParadoxDreams

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Bless this man, his drawings exude style and charm and it triggers some kind of wonderful feeling seeing some of Adventure's most iconic locations laid bare like this. I guess it's just satisfying knowing who to thank for them, finding those little setpieces in the adventure fields always made my imagination run wild as a kid.

SEGA needs to bring a big fuckin bag of money to wherever he's at and get him back on board. #makesoniccoolagain

18. Ooooooh. It seems that certain pieces lf SA1-era artwork we thought were solely made by Uekawa had Okano involved as well! Time to update the wiki!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
  19. Linkabel

Linkabel

He mentioned a while that was the case. Another tidbit of information is that the DJ artwork is based on the art he did for Flickies' Island.

Attached Files:

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Interestingly, he's also tweeted that the Adventure-styled Eggman sketch in the most recent batch is the original version of the artwork, and the classic-styled version in the same pose for Sonic 3D was actually drawn later! An odd side-effect of Adventure's production cycle crossing over with Sonic 3D's bizarrely late release in that region, I guess.

Though having said that, from his recent tweets it seems like the Sonic 3D art was drawn with a much earlier release date in mind than the one it eventually got, as it seems like the unique art for it was being sketched out in '97 alongside work on Adventure. Wonder why it ended up delayed for so long?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List