don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Souplike

Souplike

I just do stuff, I guess... Member
    Aquatic Ruin Zone
    Chaotix Re-Bound
    Oh man, that pixel darkening technique is wild. Looks absolutely beautiful! By the way Lapper, did you make a darkened and lit version for every single individual sprite, cause that must have must taken a very long time!

I think the way you guys handled the loop tool was very intuitive. It looks it takes no effort to make a loop of any shape and size, in any position. Keep up the good work!

2. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Lapper, I have to say, this cracks what was one of the hardest nuts in making an intuitive Sonic stage maker game. I can't imitate the latter part in my own project, (increasing/decreasing the thickness of loops) but I am taking so many notes to emulate the former. (Dynamically resizing the shape/size of the loop with flat pieces as extensions)

This is the most intuitive solution to the problem I've ever seen. I'm floored, for real.

And I appreciate having a closer look at this lighting! I can see it's causing some debate on Twitter, but personally, I think this is a very sharp, clean effect. :) I'm sure you will find the balancing point that everyone's happy with in time.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Introducing the Tunnel Tool

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    This is probably a silly question considering you already show footage of wall and ceiling running, but I'm assuming that you can bound to the ceiling after exiting a tunnel as well as being walking on the ceiling and entering the tunnel?

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Yes, entering would be fine though I don't think it's guaranteed you'd remain on that same surface all the way through

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    That's really cool~

Does it support say... loop tunnels maybe? If not, would you consider?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Not at the moment. These are essentially the physics based ones from GHZ and currently you can only move the start and end point. I do want to add more design options like that - the tool is still in progress and I'd have to see if I could simplify it a bit behind the scenes first.
    I want to toy with the concept of adding diverging paths to the tool in general. If I did that, it'd likely be an approach where you can combine multiple quarter curves, some with diverging paths, to create loops or other patterns. (not a promise though!)

Either way, different physics options are sure to be added, like those that propel you through or even force you through one way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Freshly baked proof of concept for diverging tunnels in the Tunnel Tool. It's heavily in development, so the mechanics and method for customisation may change.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    Having just explored Labyrinth again in Sonic 1 (via the "Sonic 1 & 2" rom version), and appreciating it in new ways as those oldest zone maps tend to offer each time: i do think an especially exciting and maybe partially overlooked wonderful aspect of Sonic Studio will be the potential to create just new alternate versions of zones we have been seeing all our lives!! :) :)

A zone like Labyrinth is simultaneously always newly challenging and as relaxing as Puyo Puyo when it's relaxing; Very few game frameworks are like this!! Sonic 1 would still feel like it was the future if it were released today, so, Sonic Studio will even moreso!!

Also to work with the feel of zones; it will be possible to make versions of Marble zone that feel more like Green Hill in terms of open areas with tall structures, and loops, as well as like a Green Hill with a slower and mysterious progression through areas akin to Labyrinth or Marble.

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    2 brand new music track reveals!

Spring Yard (Night)
    Which might technically be Sunset canonically but this naming scheme will make more sense in future

Spring Yard (Day)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Brand new music track & theme reveal!

Emerald Hill (Sunset)

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Brand new music track & theme reveal!

Spring Yard (Sunset)
    We've left the rooftops and are now down in the heart of the city that normally makes up Spring Yard's backdrop. With the sun dropping closer to the horizon and its rays peeking through the skyscrapers surrounding us, Spring Yard at sunset is truly a sight to behold.

Again, Spring Yard likely takes place at sunset in Sonic 1 canonically. The interpretation here is that the "Sunset" and "Night" are just 2 different times during the evening. A "mostly" sunset and "mostly" night. But whatever you feel like calling them is good with me ;) Our night is default Spring Yard.[/spolier]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  13. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Some instruments and brief chords remind me of Titan Monarch themes, which in one hand is great, but in the other makes me want to listen the Titan Monarch themes in a loop.

If I got it correctly, the original time of day keeps the music more pure to the original, while the extra moods have these music variations that deviate progressions from the original?

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Couple recent music and theme reveals:

15. Chaud

Chaud

That Labyrinth Surface stealth drop was amazing. I was going on YouTube watching random things and suddenly "oh hey it's a new music AND A WHOLE NEW LEVEL THEME, you know, nothing out of the ordinary". That was a nice surprise!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This stuff looks amazing man!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Looking better and better with each update!!

I can't remember if this was answered before, but I hope there's a full set of premade levels included with the game that we can play through in sequence like a classic Sonic game, so that not only can we start playing right away, but get a good idea of what the editor is capable of as well as inspiration for our own custom levels.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Jammin'

Jammin'

Extremely into X-Treme Member
    I think the first Super Mario Maker did this, so I’d say it’d be a good idea because of the precedent being there.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    If that's not a tall order, I would also find a pack-in level set very appealing. :) But, given the professional-quality UI, highly-flexible terrain + collisions, and presentation on display here, I'm confident the first public release would explode either way. To say that the fans are looking forward to Sonic Studio would be an understatement.

Some official levels would be wonderful, though. I was further sold on Mega Man Maker because of its high-quality, built-in level pack.

Super Mario Maker 2 also had a full-fledged story campaign, built around 100 levels made by the team. (Most of them are optional, of course, so you can play the campaign at your own pace.) It was one of the freshest out-of-the-box stories for a Mario game in a long time, too; I adored it so much, to the point I wanted to also make a campaign in the stage maker fan game I'm working on now.

And its levels certainly inspired me with what all the editor was capable of. There were some really spicy and fun, creative levels in the campaign. It blew my expectations out of the water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Kilo

Kilo

That inbetween sprite from S&K's title screen Tech Member
    Canada
    Not only did Mario Maker have built in levels, but it locked some objects you can build with behind them, which is a good way to add incentive to playing the prebuilt levels, should Sonic Studio add them. Obviously don't lock anything crucial behind it, but say maybe stuff like the Carnival Night barrel (Just an example, not sure if CNZ or Sonic 3 is in the scope of the project)