don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Origins just got an update on steam.
    "A new patch has been released today addresses game crashes when playing as Tails and implements additional bug fixes. Please be sure to download before playing Sonic Origins Plus."

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  3. I know they're doing the "miniminum" but I'm surprised a little they're still caring about this, since in theory, Sonic Superstars is a priority right now.

Definely not complaning, tho'.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Does anyone know what's been fixed?

5. S3&K’s competition mode results page now no longer always says “TIE” for both players, instead saying “WIN!!l or “LOSE” depending on who wins or loses. I tested this out myself just now.

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Not gonna say I 100% expected them to keep fixing this, but not super surprised either

if they intend this game to be main the format through which the classic titles as a set see release from now on, it’s in their best interest to patch the bugs now rather leave that for whatever rereleases it may get. If not to a mirror polish, then at least into fully-working condition.

But, again, not gonna say that means they were obviously going to or anything; this is Sega after all

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I think the Hidden Palace/Super Sonic softlock in Sonic 3 & Knuckles may have been fixed? Gave it a quick check on Switch earlier, and while it still incorrectly plays the Super theme instead of the stage music after the fight ends, it now correctly proceeds to the following cutscene. I only played through the game as Amy back in v2.0.1, and intentionally avoided transforming there when I did - was this already resolved in that update, or is this a new fix for v2.0.2?

8. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

I'm not surprised. There's been a slow but steady stream of fixes and improvements since release. It's a solid package now, imo. Especially compared to an embarrassment like the new Metal Gear collection from Konami, for example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    After the initial very detailed changelog we got not long after the initial release of Sonic Origins, I'm surprised at how barren they are since Sonic Origins Plus.

10. Pengi

Pengi

The first elevator in Launch Base Zone still goes takes you to Sonic/Knuckles' route when playing as Tails.

Has anyone checked for the "Super Amy" and "Hyper Amy" messages after getting the emeralds?

11. Unfortunately, I found that there is no Super Amy message when she gets all the Chaos Emeralds.

• List
  12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The hidden cool bonus in Sonic 3 is still there unfortunately.. I already went off on Discord about this so I will save my breath.. it’s just frustrating that something this obvious is still there

13. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

Giving it a try on the Steam release with Hyper Sonic & Tails (using Level Select, All Super Emeralds and getting Rings from the secret area), it unfortunately still softlocks for me with the Super music still playing FWIW. Maybe it's Steam-specific this time?
    EDIT: I do wonder if there's much patched beyond the Tails S1 & S3&K Competition Mode fixes, a few notable issues are still present. Interestingly, the glitch/trick? to get Knuckles & Tails playable in S1 is still present.

• List
  14. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    I was testing various bugs over in the bugs thread and all the ones I considered major were not addressed, such as tails still glowing in the sonic 3 save icon and super sonic not being able to drop dash with sonic 3 shields in sonic 1.
    However tails no longer crashes sonic 1 and sonic+tails with 7 emeralds and s3 shields is fully beatable, not sure if that was fixed before though.

Edit: lastly, the four mods I had installed still functioned which means they didn’t touch the sonic CD timings, the music was not changed, and the live system still works when modded in.

• List
  15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It seems they fixed the aspect ratio of the Game Gear games. They no longer use 1:1 PAR, and now use 6:5, just like the Game Gear. The pixels are less blurry too. The sound is still crap, though.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. I believe it’s been that way since the August patch (the aspect ratio)

17. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

Yes, the previous 2.0.1 patch fixed that. As well the the blurriness in all games (Genesis and Game Gear), and the option for mono Game Gear audio which makes it sound a lot better.

18. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
  19. TomGyroid

TomGyroid

So I'm guessing "Tails crash fix and other bug fixes" just barely made that plural with also fixing Tails' physics and S3&K Competition Mode? Though besides fixing objectively broken stuff they also apparently just repacked the museum content? I'm guessing that doesn't mean anything for the apparent input lag on GG games, though.
    Oddly enough, it's technically present in S3&K as well as you can activate it for a single level. Playing as Knuckles in Marble Garden Zone Act 2 and messing around with Debug Mode to spawn Sonic's Tails-assisted boss and then leaving the arena gives you Knuckles & Tails. Knuckles can even use Tails' Flight with no issue, though it doesn't last when you exit the level, even for a Special/Bonus Stage. Not sure if this was especially programmed for Knuckles & Tails or just how the RSDK v5 code works anyway (there's also unused "& Knuckles" functionality from Mania and an Encore Mode remnant), but it's a shame this feature is possible in all games minus SCD, but only Amy has the Tails partnering in all three games. FWIW Knuckles can actually already get into S&T routes using the Super Form Flight cheat code from Mania anyway, though stuff like this may still be glitchy, and it wouldn't hurt to edit the ending to feature Tails either piloting the Tornado or atop it alongside Knuckles.
    EDIT: Trying out Super Flight to get into MGZ Act 2's S&T route worked fine. Same with CNZ Act 2, though Knuckles awkwardly uses his teleport transition when defeating Sonic's boss.

Some other weird stuff I've noticed with S3&K; one is that holding up with a Shield prevents Sonic/Amy from doing the Elemental Shield's move or their Drop Dash. Was this to make it easier to initiate Tails' Assist whilst using Elemental Shields? And did they change it so you can't try to Glide over tops of levels in S1 with Knuckles anymore, instead getting invisible wall'd?

The other is that looking through the RSDK Dev Menu for S3&K... There's a section for segments of an incomplete S3&K Boss Attack Zone separate from the Origins Boss Rush? Like what S2's remaster had prior to Origins? I've somehow seen no one else ever bring this up. I assume this isn't just something some fan put into the mod. I also tried this with a few mods active in case there's a slight wrong detail.

Unlike Origins Boss Rush, this would've also covered the mini-bosses and like S2's Boss Attack Zone, feature unique level chunks connecting the bosses rather than separating them. They basically abridge and slightly tweak both acts to just be the boss parts, with stuff like additional Elemental Shield Monitors at the beginning of AIZ and MGZ, whilst retaining the AIZ bombing and HCZ wall sequences. Interestingly, it includes HCZ Act 2's Yellow Spring from its S3 layout as opposed to the 1-Up present in S3&K/Origins, also of course lacking the bridge part added in a later patch. DEZ music plays at the beginning, another parallel to S2's Boss Attack Zone and perhaps why Origins Boss Rush also starts with that music. That also forgoes a Knuckles transition in LBZ, and keeps in the auto-scrolling platforming lead-ins to FBZ and LRZ FWIW.

Knuckles' bosses and now-abridged pathways are also accounted for, allowing him or Tails to reach a secret area with a Bubble Shield in HCZ. Climbing beyond that is a really long stretch of wall ceasing at the top, perhaps a sign of being incomplete. I got every character working besides Sonic & Tails, which just resulted in Sonic, meaning Amy & Tails did work. Shortly into either version of AIZ's boss, Knuckles will be locked into sliding against the floor after jumping, sending him into death off the cliff if hit. Debug Mode kinda fixes this (maybe it's the ground), and cheesing it with a Super Monitor reveals that he does have a level transition jumping down perhaps as reason for the glitchiness, whilst other characters just freeze in the Knuckles cutscene space (using Debug Mode reveals Knuckles is just standing off-screen). But Knuckles will either die and get sent back to the beginning of Boss Attack Zone or get sent to regular Hydrocity Zone Act 1. AIZ's boss is also missing the Eggman/Eggrobo sprites until you beat it.

The lack of proper transition means you play the HCZ mini-boss segment without any Rings. HCZ lacks Knuckles in his cutscene area, perhaps suggesting he wasn't supposed to be part of the AIZ->HCZ transition. The transition to MGZ is also a little wonky with the balancing animation.

Music restarts between Zones and it seemingly can't be paused from HCZ onward, also naturally sending you back to the first segment upon dying but potentially the equivalent regular version of the level upon restarting. Whilst a Game Over just restarts the Zone, perhaps with 1 Life only.

Only the first four Zones are present and CNZ's mini-boss just doesn't spawn in at all, ending things there. This is very incomplete compared to Egg Gauntlet Zone, the other cut RSDK remaster Boss Rush supplanted by a more Sonic Team-approved equivalent.

It's interesting to see what a more Taxman/Stealth-style Boss Rush for S3&K could've been like, with Boss Attack being considered as part of the aborted S3&K mobile pitch long before Origins. It may've been early in development with the S3 layout reference and probably got canned with Sonic Team taking on the work with their own standardised Boss Rush across all RSDK games in Origins, also replacing S2's prior Boss Attack Zone. While that's an appreciated addition, I kinda prefer the interconnected marathon experience of Egg Gauntlet Zone, Boss Attack Zone and what this would've been. Though having said that, the extended length of also including the mini-bosses alongside level chunks and set pieces (and potentially DEZ's final phase and Doomsday Zone's boss) may've not been the most ideal, especially Time Attack-wise.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    • List
  20. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List