don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    So... I recorded Sonic X on a VCR when it first technically premiered on FoxBox as a "sneak peek" on August 23, 2003, about two weeks prior to it's Sept. 6, 2003 premier. I've uploaded the CMs that aired around that premier, which I trimmed around the episode because of YouTube blocking the entire upload.

And of course, I have the Internet Archive link to the entire thing here:
    https://archive.org/details/sonic-x-sneak-peek-premier-august-23-2003

I'm not sure if what I have is that valuable, given the IP. FWIW, it could still be a fun nostalgia trip for some.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    That's why he started eating chili dogs, for that extra boost, if you know what I mean

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Maybe he takes half an hour when you play it... :V

But still, if we ignore score tallies and not allowing glitches, even a speedrun takes nearly 15 minutes, so Sonic averages 16km/h (about 10mph). I'm pretty sure I can run faster than that, although in his defence I probably couldn't do it while dodging attacking robots and fighting a fat man with a wrecking ball.

4. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Well, yeah, 4km is just the horizontal distance between his initial position in the first level and his final position in the last level, not the distance he actually covers. Still, Green Hill Act 1 is only about 262 meters long, which is a shortish sprint for a human. Not even a full Olympic lap.

(This was all done assuming the ripped map files in the wiki have the actual in-game map's size)

5. So I just learned that this was a thing...

This is a promotional video for CR Sonic. It was a pachinko machine made by Sammy in 2003, and it used SA2 assets and music.

I've also included images of the sales pamphlet from a sold auction (though they're not high-res unfortunately).

Edit: Forgot to attach the images hahaha

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
  7. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I know this will sound like an imaginary post and it's me so...you know. But this just happened on the plane home and it was cute so I thought I'd share!

This kid next to me was playing on his Switch. He started by having great fun playing Lego Star Wars and killing all his allies with Qui Gon Jinn. However he then switched to...Sonic Mania!

Now I was obviously very interested so looked over from time to time. He was stuck on Titanic Monarch and couldn't beat it. He said it was the impossible stage and why 'Mario is better than Sonic'. Anyway, after he lost for the third time in a row his dad noticed me looking and said if I knew the game and I said as the biggest understatement of the year 'yeah I like Sonic a bit'.

Anyway he gave me his Switch to beat Titanic Monarch and I, as the true gamer I am, beat it on the first run. He was saying how cool I am and I'm the 'ultimate gamer mum' (not a vibe).

I gave it back to him and he then messed about in level select etc.

8. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    When he asked you if you knew the game, did he sound like he was protecting his son from something evil, or was he just being friendly? Lol

9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    He looked more than anything else tired of his son's constant comments on how hard Sonic is lol. Think he just wanted him to stop whining!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Was he playing as Sonic?

11. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yeah he was playing as Sonic and was being very trigger happy with the drop dash :V

12. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  13. Linkabel

Linkabel

Marza Animation made a new short with the Uh, Su and Lah from Night of the Werehog.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. Holy shit, I was not expecting to see those three back. Awesome!

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Most of Dutch gaming magazine Power Unlimited has been uploaded to archive.org and is in the process of being mirrored on Retro CDN. Not much new exciting content but here's another Knuckles' Ringstar reference:

[​IMG]

It mentions the (later scrapped) time attack mode, but other than that, nothing interesting to report. But I thought you might enjoy that caption.

16. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    "Whoaa, 3D-Shit in effect"

17. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm so sad they didn't retain that Metal Sonic jumpscare in the final.

18. jbr

jbr

Not sure if this has been noted before, or if anyone cares, but as a child I remember that the UK's Argos catalogue listed S&K Collection as containing "Sonic 2 and 3", which is of course wrong.

Anyway, I finally found the evidence. It also describes "over 120 levels of gameplay" - I can't begin to fathom how they reached that number, even if you include each act and special stage individually. Basically, they didn't know and just pulled a description out of their arse.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I don't know why that number is so low. Sonic & Knuckles Collection contains over 134 million levels.

runs

20. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    You can easily reach that number by counting each variation of Blue Sphere... which can't be played on Sonic & Knuckles Collection.