don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm not sure how intentional it is, truth be told. Sure, it's a purple moon, but there's a giant blue planet of some sort in the same shot from space and I don't see it being discussed like some deep lore object. I'm gonna be honest, I think it's a coincidence. A fun one! But probably a coincidence.

Besides, The End always has that red glow to it, which this other one doesn't.

2. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    um

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I genuinely don't know what to think about the purple moon. It can't be The End- that doesn't work story-wise. But why would you depict the moon as purple? It genuinely feels like a mistake where they wanted to connect to Frontiers as a cameo but didn't realise it makes no sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    A blue planet with no visible land, buddy. Come now.

5. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    I think that's moreso stylisation, you're meant to take the planet as Earth.

Which then you could argue in that case the moon's just stylised as purple but that's one of the oddest decisions if so.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, is it that much weirder than depicting it as having no terrain? Homestuck always styled the Earth as completely gray for some reason, and as we all know, that franchise never made any bizarre decisions.

7. The KKM

The KKM

Portugal
    I'd say so, yeah- Earth's commonly called the blue planet, I think it's easy to simplify and stylise it into just a blue marble

What's the association of purple and the moon? I'd expect it to be glowing yellow if anything

8. Frozen Base Zone Act 2 features both what appears to be Earth's moon as well as the purple moon in the distance. I'm not sure if the blue celestial body as seen in the subsequent level, Egg Fortress Zone, is meant to be the earth or its moon, but in either case it doesn't appear that the purple moon is intended to be Luna.

Screenshot (8).png

It's entirely possible this is indeed meant as an ill-conceived nod to Frontiers. On the other hand, Superstars also features a large purple entity as its true final boss. I haven't seen enough gameplay footage to know if there's any reason it would spawn a purple moon, but that would at least tie into this game's own story.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
  9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Yeah, see, I'm assuming the big planet on the bottom left in that shot is Earth, not the smaller blue one in the distance.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I think it's just an easter egg we're meant to turn our brains off for. That said, I do think it's gratuitous and probably something best saved for the next time Sonic goes to space after Frontiers, where we see the shattered End moon.

11. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    This game marks the introduction of the SA1 ME shrine in the Classic time. ...are we sure it's not intended to be the concealed form of the ARK, as shown in SA2's moon laser cutscene, and the choice of End texture reuse was an entirely budgetary thing?

12. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I'm not sure how much money it takes to turn the saturation slider in photoshop to 0%.

Also, no, there's no reason it would be the ARK.

13. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I'm pretty sure the earth in Sonic has been depicted as having two moons in some stage backgrounds before, could be a neat way of explaining the SA2 moon hole not being visible (we're just looking at the other moon). Other than that, little planet maybe? Death egg they forgot to texture? Idk there's also the possibility it's something planed to be explored in a sequel. I hope this doesn't end up like the purple hair rangers human, I don't think we ever get confirmation what that was about.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Maybe one of them is Mobius? (Not the one from the US/EU, but the planet that was in the 2010s bible and Japanese Spinball)

15. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    I'm gonna say the blue one's Little Planet, unchained and where it should be in the galaxy. The purple moon is where the Special Stages take place...yeah I have no idea. I imagine they'd at least have colored it right if it's supposed to be the ARK.
    [​IMG]

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    11:42 - In TailsTube #5, Tails says confidently that Fang is a jerboa. So, can we take this to mean that Fang really is a jerboa or is that still one of his aliases and the truth remains a mystery?

Yeah, he is officially cemented as a jerboa now.

12:10 - Have you thought about doing anything with the Flicky Dimension from Sonic 3D? Or the subspace that the Japanese Triple Trouble manual says Fang lives in?

I actually ran into some friction with everything to do with Flicky Island when we did the Tails' special so I don't know. We don't actually really see the Flicky dimension itself, it's just kind of passingly referred to. So I don't know if there's much to return to. As for Subspace, in terms of Fang, that might have been gently taken off the table. I'm not 100% sure on that. (...)

32:19 - So recently in Tailstube they mention Knuckles being tricked 3 times when he’s actually been tricked 4 times, Sonic Advance 2 had him tricked by Eggman, is that game not canon or was this a mistake?

Sonic's line I think it was "something like three times", but who's counting. (...) It was more the joke line highlighting that Knuckles didn't fall for it once. (...) Sonic is saying it's happened more than once, at least three times. That's the joke.

17. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    About that thing in Superstsars:

[​IMG]

18. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    i wonder who the real jester here is

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Pretty sure we kinda see the Flicky dimension in the Saturn FMVs. In the bad ending, Eggman is there. In the good ending, it's implied that the final boss is set there, as Sonic goes through a big ring to escape the area.

20. I never thought Fang living in another dimension made much sense. Yes, you fought him there, but I never got the impression he originated there. Is it possible this is a case of slight mistranslation, with the manual intending to convey that Fang resides in the subspace? It’s a subtle differentiation but one that would communicate that he can be found there in the game without suggesting it’s his home.