don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Man this is such a fuckin let down for me. This would’ve been my in to get my friends to finally try out a sonic game since I can help them learn in real time. Oh well at least steam doesn’t care what the devs do and gives me remote play.

3. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    This entire "animated shorts" thing to tell the story is bullshit, they should go back to explaining the entire story via the manual, the NATURAL WAY :V

4. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Nah. That would be waste of time and money. :P

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    It's a comic, not a short. I think it says the release date is October 23rd, but it's worded kind of confusingly.

6. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I read it more as this will be replacing the Fast Friends stuff until then, so maybe a page a week?

EDIT: Blah, ninja'd

8. Deef

Deef

Well yeah they had exceptions (I italicised "most" in my post), but to me they do come across as the exceptions that prove the rule, because even back then they stuck out as not normal. CNZ1, FBZ1, SZ1, etc... they were the weird annoying ones that were bucking the trend.

So personally I think it's pretty clear which style (between have-at-it and wait-for-invincibility) was the dominant one in the classics, were someone to ask, even with that good handful you picked out from the worst offender. So I still think it's valid to point to what we've seen/heard of Superstars' bosses so far and say "Mmmm... more like the classics, please".

Admittedly, I referred to an article's comment that did mention Sonic 3 in particular. So I should rephrase my wish for something more inspired by the bosses in the classics en total. Or maybe just the Megadrive classics... I can't remember CD enough.

And I agree in how you've highlighted that S&K in particular was breaking the trend more amongst the classics, so yes maybe that fading aspect I mentioned could really have the blame pointed back to S&K first, before Mania. I have the vague impression Mania still does it more, but I might be wrong.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
  9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I quite like Aquatic Ruin's boss.

You can wait around for the best arrows for you to jump on to attack Eggman, but you can be more clever and jump on the pillars themselves to beat him faster.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I'm not saying the guy who actually played the game is wrong, but I find it kind of hard to believe that the people who just made a game where every boss attack has a counterattack would then not put in ways to counterattack in their next game. I'd kind of expect that they only figured out one way to do it out of 2 or 3 and then had to wait for everything to cycle through.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    In videos of the Pinball Carnival boss, you can see players occasionally landing hits out of turn. The hitbox seems to be active at all times, like the classics. This is also true for the Bridge Island Act 2 boss and the Speed Jungle Act 1 boss.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. I think even if you hate Balan, the way they implemented bosses was pretty interesting. It could have been a Naka idea though and not Ōshima/Arzest behind that.

13. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's so weird that they let them speak in the comics, but not the animations. And it's a shame, because as much as I love the animated short, having the characters speak is more engaging. Come on, Sega, drop this pointless restriction!

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I guarnatee you this forum and other circles would be out for blood if Classic Sonic started speaking, and I think SEGA knows that.

16. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Should they speak in their thoughts à la Garfield?

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

Just throwing it out there: I would 100% buy a book that collects Fang’s Big Break and The Superstars manga given out at TGS. Heck throw in the Amy/Metal Sonic anniversary comic as well.
    100% agree. If they got Jaleel White back people would be mad that Roger Craig Smith wasn’t voicing classic. If Roger voiced classic people would be mad it wasn’t Jaleel, or if Roger altered his voice for classic sonic, people wouldn’t like that. Then if they brought Martin Burke back people would be mad it wasn’t Jaleel or RCS… I can do this all day and that’s before taking into account the people who LIKE that classic sonic is mute (you may not think they’re out there but they are. Satisfied fans are often the silent ones lol)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

I like that the comic confirmed that Fang's new title is an in-universe change and not a retcon. There was a blurb about how he's "used many aliases" before but it's nice to see it come up explicitly.

And I'm glad his pop gun is still around. I don't know why but it just seems like something that really suits his personality.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I find it odd that Fang the Sniper and Fang the Hunter are two distinct aliases when both are clearly Fang. Also, maybe it's bias from it having been around longer, but I think Sniper is the cooler title of the two by far, and evidently not one they're really afraid of acknowledging.

20. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Im so happy to see Fang back and canonizing his headcanon multiple identities. Never thought this stuff would make it officially into the games

wdym afraid of acknowledging? which one are they afraid of acknowledging?