don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    It worked wonders for this animation. The staging, mise en scène and fluid shots did the heavy lifting for characterization and if I had to choose between spending budget on voice acting or more of this, I'd choose more of this every time. It made the whole "Poor Cinnamon Roll Bun" character much more vivid for Trip, because anything mean Fang could have said to her would have been less asshole-ish than simply ignoring her like he did.

The one thing I didn't like yet again was the payoff to Eggman drawings/annotations. He had been funny up until now, but it would have been s much better t top it all off with a sense that he actually has a big plan in mind. Like, you know, a villain would. I don't need to know what the plan is, I just disliked that the payoff was a childlike drawing of a beast. It doesn't tell me much and, even if a giant dragon or something is indeed his plan, that it was done as yet another joke fell flat to me.

2. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

There were more unique BG paintings in just the opening sequence of Trouble than there were in the entirety of SMA 1-5. And many of the SMA BGs I had to make myself from cobbling together assets from other BGs, while I was still doing storyboards and sound design and animation directing. It really can't be overstated that SMA was not even in the same universe budget-wise as our recent stuff with Powerhouse. Neither was TSR or Colors for that matter, but SMA basically had the budget of an animated sprite comic, not an actual cartoon.

• Informative Informative x 27
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I love everything about this. The characters were bursting with charm and personality. And I loved all the action and movement. The animation is beautifully done. The environments are lovely too and have a strong sense of atmosphere.

Although I really wish Sega would reconsider their stance on the characters being silent. I don't think this animation suffers from the characters not speaking. But I just feel it would open up more potentials for Classic Sonic animations. Also, the characters are so full of personality that it just feels it would be natural for them to say something.

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I wouldn't call that Flynn's doing though, it always struck me as a mandate "from the top" to make it clear that Frontiers, as different as it is gameplay-wise, is in the same continuity as all the other games.

5. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    I love Trip!

This short is one their best so far. I really enjoyed how each villain has their own personality, you get the feeling they are, atleast partially, reluctantly relying on each other.. Or at the very least Eggman in all of his ego is putting up with Trip's reluctance and Fang's over the top cartoonish-ness I love how goofy Fang is here, pretty accurate to his absurdity in Triple Trouble.
    ... And Trip is just adorable!

Honestly this should be in the game proper as like an introduction scene or something (if there isn't one)... Vastly prefer something like this defining Sonic Superstars then the actual intro of it.

Hope it's not just stuck on YouTube... But that's been the way they do things for a bit so I wouldn't be surprised.

I know it's preaching to the choir but I'm so excited for this game

Edit: baseless speculation but wouldn't it be funny if Eggman's dragon idea is a wink wink reuse of that ancient Sonic 3 concept art of Super Sonic and a supposive dragon?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  7. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That short was fantastic. Really incredible stuff, as always.

can't wait to see what problems people invent for this one

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah I like it loads. the snake's a cool introduction, looking new (and snake-like) without clashing with the art style, and also

[​IMG]

well shit, Amy is now my favorite (even if it was in a dream)

also that Fang has a vehicle really does speak to the increased budget that was mentioned; I recall the ones in the TSR shorts being 3D models, but that didn't look the case for this, which had to have been pretty hard.

9. For the record, I don't find it to be a problem that the characters aren't voiced. It's just a weird decision to me to go along with the comics where dialogue is present. Things like Generations and Forces, where Classic is just inexplicably silent while everyone else, including Classic Tails, has voiced dialogue.

I know why they do it, because Classic fans would lose it if he actually had a voice that didn't match the one they imagined for him in their heads, but it feels a little inconsistent where he can talk in certain mediums and can't in others, particularly in places where everyone else talks too.

10. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    Many, many Thank Yous from everyone!!

This is a very uniquely exciting new era in which many of the inspired interpretations of what the Sonic world and characters could feel like from over the years whether it be the GameGear series, SatAm and Adventures, Spinball, all of the comic books, and, all of your own Sonic world expressions from over the decades!!

Now they are blending together completely naturally,
    at the time that the hardware and software can support the best possible 2D and 3D games too, and when so many people, old and new, are discovering and rediscovering why Sonic has always been more than just games and entertainment: A multisensory vision of a synergy between community and art!!

[​IMG]

11. serpx

serpx

Honestly the lack of voices is starting to decrease my enjoyment of these shorts. Eggman talking without anything coming out was just weird. If they're going to stay silent then I'd prefer a kickass music track to play in the background, like the Sonic CD intro.

Regardless I LOVE FANG, welcome back buddy. I hope he stays, great addition of a character who deserves the spotlight.

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I'm in awe, they have truly outdone themselves with the animation. I particularly love the shot of the heroes donning creepy evil smiles as they kick the shit out of beat up Fang. Trip is adorable and I hope we get to see her unmasked at some point.

Also... that B-roll in the credits looked mostly new. We see footage of what looks like a clown mini-boss in PCZ, a new spiral-y gimmick, new footage of SJZ Act Sonic, etc. Also, am I the only person who thought those figures in the hieroglyphics on the wall looked an awful lot like they were wearing Trip's armor? Can't tell if I'm reading too deep into it.

13. Holy hell, this animation was awesome. The characterization was on point.

It's so good seeing Fang animated and remembered!

Also, Trip is cery cute. Protect her with all cost!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Finally got around to preordering this. Gonna be fun playing this and Mario Wonder back to back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Excellent... fucking excellent!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. Did anyone noticed something about that snake design in the prologue?

Yeah...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Vertette

Vertette

I'm amazed you guys managed to make it look so fluid and expressive then! Holy hell.

Haven't got much to say about the short that isn't just gushing or repeating what others have already said, but to add on some things said above - Fang's vehicle was indeed a delight to look at just because it wasn't 3D like in every modern cartoon ever (or better handled? idk), and I agree Eggman speaking yet nothing coming out was indeed kinda off-putting. Those piano and laughing and steam whistle sound effects in SMA were a delight, I would've done something like that at least. Some WAH WAH WAH sounds like in the Peanuts specials, perhaps?

18. TheCleanerDragon

TheCleanerDragon

Squad Leader Member
    Absolutely phenomenal work. Totally blows the opening animation out of the water.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    This was such a joy to watch. Love how expressive they all are. Knuckles hitting the missile back at Fang was total boss, and I like how the gang worked together to take him down. Really like Fang's personality and him learning from Tails battery-reverse trick. Eggman being oblivious to all the chaos going on around him was a nice touch.

These animated shorts we've been getting since 2017 are some of the best things to come out of Sonic. Keep 'em coming!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  20. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I feel its a bit tonally disonant too. Eggman generally looks quite menacing when in a neutral pose and has menacing close ups but us largely incompetent or doing nothing of value.

Great short overall though.