don't click here

Sonic Spinball prototype origins?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Sep 4, 2023.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    As someone who has been around for a long time and knows how bad his own memory is, I agree on the need for confirmed facts rather than "I remember this", if I'm honest.

2. Eh, I don't know. Calling an internet stranger "my friend" is like one step below a southern lady saying, "Bless your heart" in being condescending and I think you know that. Anyway, I now see that your meaning was that people had mentioned it a long time ago, rather than things not always being the same as they are now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Well, I initially wrote it sans the "my friend" part, but feared it might come off as condescending or rude. So, I added "my friend" to soften it and let you know I was saying it with a smile and in a non-hostile manner. I thought it was pretty darn nice myself. But I AM southern, and I do say some of that stuff that you're apparently very offended by, so maybe that has something to do with it. But, regardless, if someone says something that doesn't come off well to you, perhaps you shouldn't immediately jump to the worst conclusion, and that perhaps you're not understanding the true intent of the typed words.

Anyway, enough of that. When I get time, I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  4. I’m going to recuse myself from this after this message.

All I said was, “Please don’t talk to me like I’m 15 lol,” and then you keep going on and on trying to make it seem like I overreacted by saying, “No one’s talking down to you,” “Things you’re very offended by,” etc.

Everyone alive has played this game when talking to someone online. It’s quite transparent and a little shitty, especially after I said that I see you meant no harm.

That’s it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  5. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    My father's cartridge has the old music. I have a working Genesis MK2 (MK-1601 it is?), I can try borrowing it and test whatever you guys need (that can be done with a standard console).

6. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Could you please provide images and videos of the cartridge when you do so, along with any packaging that came with it?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
  7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Additionally, if you have a Game Genie or Action Replay cheat device, we could also use that to read a few bytes off the cartridge to identify the ROM itself.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Don't know if it helps at all but I got this dumped (about 20 years ago...) and it matched the alt music build.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Here's the PCB of my Sonic Spinball cartridge (US FINAL - HOWARD DROSSIN MUSIC). The PCB has 9338 on the component side and REV A on the solder side. This release is the V.R.C rated GA release.

FRONT (COMPONENT SIDE):
    [​IMG]

BACK (SOLDER SIDE):
    [​IMG]

I be curious to see what the PCB of the (US - ALT MUSIC - DCT) looks like. The above images show the insides of a typical Sega Genesis / Mega Drive cartridge PCB BTW.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think we've got some holes in our knowledge here - Sega games distributed on Tengen boards?

11. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I'm not the original owner of that cartridge. I got that game CIB at FuncoLand (at their Woodbury, MN location) in 1999.

I've put together a list of all games I'm the original owner of and which are used copies. I've also checked all the PCBs.

Original Owner:
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics (USA)
    Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (USA) - Mega Hit Series Majesco Re-release

Not the original owner:
    Sonic The Hedgehog - REV00 - ORIGINAL RELEASE - No Resale
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - REV01 - No Resale - 2 Copies
    Sonic Spinball (USA - Howard Drossin Music)
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (USA)
    Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (USA) - Original Release
    Chaotix (NTSC)

Cartridges with SEGA PCBs inside:
    Sonic The Hedgehog - REV00 - ORIGINAL RELEASE - No Resale
    Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - REV01 - No Resale - 2 Copies
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (USA)
    Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (USA) - Original Release
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Chaotix (NTSC)
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Classics (USA)

Cartridges with TENGEN PCBs inside:
    Sonic Spinball (USA - Howard Drossin Music)

Cartridges with Majesco PCBs inside (uses different screws):
    Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (USA) - Mega Hit Series Majesco Re-release

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Spinball clamshell cases were also different for Spinball compared to the typical Genesis game, so maybe manufacturing generally was different for that game for some reason. I still remember opening the case for the first time and noticing the nice "fruity" smell inside.

13. rata

rata

Argentina
    Given that this is Argentina, probably pirate, but if I recall correctly it had the final US art.

No I don't have anything like that. But given that the cheat codes were mentioned earlier, I could see if they are different from final, and of there is free movement option just see if there are changes on the maps -from memory, there werent, but yeah, memory from 20 years ago.

14. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Can you post the dump or redump this cart again just to be doubly sure? That's a weird one because the PCB is not a SEGA issued one, but one of those that were used in the PAL region. Normally 8mbit games aren't stored on two 4mbit EPROMs, usually they're split between four in this case. Why there are Interplay labels over the EPROM windows is another weird one to me. Looks like someone from Interplay wanted to burn the leaked ROM to play without a copier or something.

15. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    1) What region of the world is this from?
    2) How did you aquire it?
    3) Is this retail, or bootleg?

16. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    I still want to see what there is, just to be sure.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I doubt I have the equipment around anymore to dump it, if there's anyone around who can dump it I will gladly ship it. I was originally going to give it to drx, so he has dibs if he still wants it. I should probably test it to make sure it still works.

I got this probably around 2002 or 2003 on ebay, I don't know anything else about it.

18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Sweet, let's get this dumped! Will shoot you a PM.

19. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Wow, it's been exactly three months...

@Rika Chou, @drx, what was the verdict?

20. rata

rata

Argentina
    I've got it guys! Tell me what can be done within a standard megadrive.
    20240204_033333.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List