don't click here

It's official: SSRG REUNION at RWX 2023!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by saxman, Jun 7, 2023.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    We have a third panel now...

Title: Let's modify a Genesis game for the first time!
    Description: Join Saxman as he gives a live demonstration for first time SEGA Genesis game hackers discussing the tools and techniques needed to make their first game mod.

We're doing it the old fashioned way, boys and girls! None of that disassembly stuff! This is how you do it when you don't know any of the data/code addresses and want to explore the game's internals for the first time.

2. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I am 30 minutes from this event and had I seen this a month ago I would have taken work off to be there :argh:

Can't wait to see the recordings!

3. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    In case you are free one day over the weekend, we will have panels on both days of the expo, and will even have our own booth so you meet the crew and chat with us.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    "Uh oh, I think I'm feeling sick; better not go to work today!"

As far as recordings, I want to note that any that we end up doing likely won't be up for some time. Editing is very time consuming, and we have busy lives.

5. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    Sound like you caught the retro gaming virus. Better go see Dr. Mario. :)

But seriously, it will be some time before editing is done of the 3 videos for the reasons stated.

6. Dissent

Dissent

I'm a tech in a retro game store chain, someone surely will either be there that I work with or know why I was "sick" :V

Alright, screw it. I'm coming.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2023
  7. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    20230826_095646.jpg

8. Dissent

Dissent

It was so fun to see Saxman showing old tried and true address finding techniques and I could not get over seeing Tile Layer still kicking it in Windows 11, on a projector, at a con, in 2023! A real trip to the old days physically right in front of me, absolutely loved it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    Awesome! Glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Are you coming to the 1pm panel this afternoon? That panel should really have come before the 5pm "live hacking" panel, but we need to stick to the original schedule where possible to avoid further confusion.

Also, stop by our booth and sign our guest book.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2023
  10. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Did we speak at all, Dissent? I saw a number of people, and I failed to get their names! I think I actually met Ritz, but didn't know it until SSNTails told me later.

I'll say this: Everyone I have talked to has been wonderful! Thanks for coming out!

11. Dissent

Dissent

I caught two of the panels, I was the guy in the Rare hoodie relishing in the hacking nostalgia. I signed the guestbook as Sails, the old handle I'm back to these days. I briefly chatted with one of the team members yesterday morning but social anxiety got the best of me on following up to meet you Sax. You're simply too much a legend in my eyes ;) I absolutely loved the panels though, being reminded of the timeline of things today was such a joy.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Black guy in the Rez shirt. It was a pleasure!

13. Garth

Garth

Looks like this has some favourable reviews! Well done to all involved!

Really looking forward to seeing the recordings (I understand that could be some time, however I will certainly be keeping an eye out).

All the best !

14. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Obligatory group photo:

SSRG Group 786.png

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Craziest part of the whole trip for me is that I was sitting directly behind that woman on the bus. It arrived 2 hours late + 5 minute delay when the driver pulled over on the highway and started vomiting all over the aisle. I know her panel must've been great since the conversation she was having with the dude next to her was really captivating. Hope that gets uploaded too!

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Wow, I can't say I've ever experienced that! Hopefully the driver was okay after that. Did you miss part of the expo because of the delays?

That is Andy's friend. She didn't actually have a panel. She was there to show off a biological battery kit at our booth. Not retro gaming related, but a neat little thing nonetheless. I think there's also a website where they sell those kits, though I don't have it on-hand. Andy might be able to supply that.

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It meant I only got to spend an hour on the show floor, which was just enough time for me to play all the games I wanted to anyway (Darius Gaiden, Armed Police Batrider, Tempest helllll yeah) so it worked out.

The unattended Saturn Bomberman with all the controllers was the most depressing thing I've ever seen, we should all play that next year(?)

18. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    I wonder if it was a different person. From where was the bus coming from?

19. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    Correct. She sells STEM kits that show you how to build you own bio-battery. PM me if interested because she normally sells to classes, not to individuals, but I can ask her to make an exception for you. I think they are $40 or $50 each plus shipping.

I invited her to demo her device at the expo to encourage discussions on the subject, "What is Robotization? Can it be done with modern tech?". (Sign below.) Her bio-battery was a fun play on the theme, which made for an interesting topic for folks to come chat with us. I observed a few folks who got into a discussion with her on how the bio-battery worked, so that was cool to see.

upload_2023-8-30_22-49-24.png

20. NO CARRIER

NO CARRIER

Oldbie
    USA
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed the panels. :)

Panel 1 was heavily modified from last year with both updated and new content. It was a real challenge to present everything in under an hour.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2023