don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

As someone that still hasn't played Frontiers yet I didn't even trig that Sonic was going "beyond" Super. I thought he was just going super, so for me that trailer was a nothing burger lol

2. Its been pretty evident from Kishimoto's comments that they ran out of dev time.

3. Lambda

Lambda

That's 100% what I think is going on. I mean, it'd be better if this stuff was all in the original release? But better late than never.

I can't really take away too many points when the updates are free. Sega 5-6 years ago wouldn't have let Sonic Team finish the game at all, pre-launch OR post-launch. That's how we got Sonic Forces in all it's half-baked glory.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The eyes were an immediate giveaway that something changed, but that second form just looked like the normal Super Sonic design tbh, not an entirely separate form/design.

5. Lambda

Lambda

I'm gonna call that it's Super Sonic imbued with some Cyber Energy that doesn't make him MORE powerful, but gives him some new abilities.

Ian Flynn has been talking a lot about avoiding super forms that are "more Super" than Super Sonic, and while he doesn't get to make all the calls, I'm assuming his sentiment is somewhat informed by the general consensus of Sonic Team and the Lore Team.

This this is all wild speculation. But my gut says it's the case.

6. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Hmm I doubt they'd reveal a new form in a trailer and as it's literally just super sonic but with green eyes I don't think this is the new form if one exists.

Still... what was the last game super sonic had green eyes?

sonic3k...

which also happens to be the game where hyper was a thing.

7. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    They're gonna reuse this voice line at 6:58 (embeds don't like timestamps) and have it actually mean something for the updated final boss.

I'm glad the game is going to resemble finished. The last Act was hilariously stripped back. If this DLC cost money, I'd be furious. However, the substance of these DLC is so potent it renders the disc release practically pointless. It was almost an alpha compared to what has released and what is planned.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  8. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    mfs be like "they made super sonic 2" bitchass motherfuckers did you uncultured swine ("people") not finish all 14 special stages and collect all 7 chaos emeralds and 7 super emeralds in sonic the hedgehog 3 and knuckles for the sega mega drive slash genesis released in 1994? ffs

9. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    He literally has the damned electrified aura (albiet with dark electricity, which is a ... choice).

It's literally Super Sonic 2.

That's hyper, and it appears to be something completely different, and in no way resembled the DBZ hierarchy of the era it was made in. (Even Super Saiyan 3 only appeared in the manga between the release of Sonic 3 and S&K, so barely enough time to be inspired by it)

(To be clear, I vastly prefer hyper forms as an upgrade and remain sad they are forever abandoned, though I wonder if the rainbow flashing colors being a potential seizure issue is a factor in it. Regulations on all JPN media got a lot more strict after the infamous Porygon Pokemon incident in the late 90s.)

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

I was also thinking this is some kind of "Cyber" Super Sonic.

SAGE's eyes also seem to change to that color when she goes "good" or becomes more hopeful.

That red aura looks like the corruption that affects Sonic, so maybe it means that he's using the corruption with the energy and hope of his friends as a boost?

Idk, just thinking what they do in anime.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

So do they only finish final bosses if a game sells enough now?

12. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    A new form of Super Sonic is hypeeee!!! I already read a few of the datamined leaks which already had me interested, but I cannot wait for this to come out now. I'm excited!

13. Spunodi

Spunodi

More Sonic 3 & Knuckles parallels :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. MH MD

MH MD

It's BLUE eyes

This is the new form

15. serpx

serpx

Sonic Team is finally accepting Sonic's dragon ball influence and I'm here for it. Now bring back Hyper Sonic.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    My bet’s going in the “situational power-up that’s no stronger than Super Sonic camp”. Power creep is extremely tired and boring and this series has actually done a good job avoiding that up to now. I think it’s basically the driving reason behind not bringing back Hyper and I don’t see the rationale behind that decision if they’re just going to make “Super Sonic 2” anyway.

Besides, before any of that I want to see the rest of Team Sonic get their super forms back before we start introducing new ones. It’s high time Amy got her due (and no, Origins doesn’t counter given that already had non-Sonic super forms grandfathered in).

17. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    With the lack of significant physical change, and some details from the datamine in mind (no spoilers), I'm going to bet the new form isn't really a "form" but probably some new skill or special ability.

18. serpx

serpx

I agree that it'd be awesome to see 3D super forms for other characters. And I definitely hope they limit the amount of forms or special powers/techniques a super form gets. Like let's say we got Hyper Sonic, I'd prefer for that to be a super rare/abnormal form we only see in select games and there's no possible form beyond that.

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Why did they give Supreme 7 arms. My god it looks like an eldritch horror.

The Ancients were wild, man.

20. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Rare blue eyes Super Sonic