don't click here

Sonic anniversaries thread!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Aug 3, 2023.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    It dawned on me recently that there are a lot of major Sonic anniversaries coming up, and coming fast. So what better way to track them than through a thread? There's plenty of games people remember, like Sonic CD, Sonic Lost World, and Sonic Heroes. But what about Sonic Chaos? Sonic Battle? Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games? Did you know those respectively turn 30, 20, and 10 this fall?

I've got notifications set for every anniversary in my phone, so every anniversary I'll update this thread with the game, a fact or two, and we can discuss what they brought to the table, what they did right/wrong, whether they're good or bad, some memories from playing them as a kid, etc. I think it'll be a fun way to shed some light on lesser-known titles and give the entire series some love (or hate, if the game is one of the bad ones)

Here are the upcoming anniversaries for the rest of the year:

• September 23: Sonic CD's 30th anniversary
    • October 25: Sonic Chaos' 30th anniversary
    • October 29: Sonic Lost World's 10th anniversary
    • November 15: Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games' 10th anniversary
    • November 23: Sonic Spinball's 30th anniversary
    • December 4: Sonic Battle's 20th anniversary
    • December 12: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2013)'s 10th anniversary
    • December 30: Sonic Heroes' 20th anniversary
    (SegaSonic the Hedgehog and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine also turn 30 between October and November, but don't seem to have exact release dates documented)

Here's what's coming next year:

• February 2: Sonic the Hedgehog 3's 30th anniversary
    • March 18: Sonic Drift's 30th anniversary
    • June 7: Sonic Advance 3's 20th anniversary
    • July 10: Sonic Jump Fever's 10th anniversary
    • October 18: Sonic & Knuckles' 30th anniversary
    • November 11: Sonic Triple Trouble's 30th anniversary, and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal's 10th anniversary
    (Sonic the Hedgehog's Gameworld and Tails and the Music Maker also turn 30 between August and September, but don't seem to have exact release dates documented)

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  3. Linkabel

Linkabel

It's the 25th anniversary of Sonic Adventure this upcoming December 23.

4. Snowbound

Snowbound

According to a quick google search, September 18th is the 30th anniversary of Sonic SATAM.

Given the fact that Spinball’s 30th anniversary is also this year (in November) I’m definitely bummed that the freedom fighters continue to be ignored. Since there is a spilt between the classic and modern casts I think it’d be perfect for the SATAM cast to be redesigned as part of the classic cast. Sega could have their cake and eat it too: the freedom fighters won’t effect the modern games or comics, but they could appear in classic games or classic IDW one shots.

& Yes, the freedom fighters CAN fit into the SegaSonic aesthetic. I mean, look at Spaz’s covers for the Sonic Archive collections:
    https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Archives/Covers

Or look at Pink Galaxy’s Classic Sally fan art and sprites:
    B6916E1C-549D-4AD8-B994-0D6F8CCCBB0E.jpeg
    3F553E96-C9EA-4AEC-B2F3-A222213EE3EA.jpeg
    C’mon Sega, let IDW make a Classic Freedom Fighters One-Shot in November.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Oh I love those Sally sprites and drawing. Very cute.

I think the Freedom Fighters can fit both the Classic and Modern looks. Introduce them in a “Classic” game (as when they meet Sonic) and then modernize them when they show up in a 3D game.

6. It may be just me, but "Sonic Anniversaries" to me is simply Sonic 1. SEGA's not really one for doing a Mario All-stars 25th Anniversary bundle (Though Sonic Origins is a somewhat attempt I guess). But for me the Anniversaries have always been...

Sonic 10th: Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic 15th: Sonic Riders, Sonic Rivals & Sonic '06
    Sonic 20th: Generations
    Sonic 25th: Sonic Mania Announcement; but actually the only game that year was Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
    Sonic 30th: Sonic Frontiers Announcement; but actually Sonic Colours Ultimate.

7. Yeah, anniversaries outside of Sonic 1 are just Wiki-fodder and stuff for the marketing team to do. The only one I can possibly see having something attached is Sonic Adventure’s 25th or 30th because of how important the game was to the series. Though it is interesting that on CD’s 30th anniversary year, we do see the director finally returning to a Sonic game. I wouldn’t be surprised if the marketing team took advantage of that in September.

8. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Personally, I’ve been hoping something would be done with Sonic Adventure’s upcoming anniversary to bring it to newer consoles. I’d have fun if there was something like a Sonic Adventure Mania of sorts, that gives us a chance to revisit some of the hot-spots of the era in new ways.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

FWIW IDW has been doing character anniversary comics recently. Not sure whether it was Sega's or IDW's idea tho.

Nope, that Sally still doesn't look like a SegaSonic design to me. Not with that wig :V

10. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’ve heard good things about Fire & Ice but I keep putting off playing it. in fact there are a lot of mid to late period 3DS games I never got around to playing… I wonder if 3DS games have gone down in price. I don’t mean to sound like an old man but I remember buying used GBA games at gamestop for $5-$30. It’s a shame retro gaming has become a more expensive hobby

11. Oh God, Sonic 3's turning 30 next year...

12. Snowbound

Snowbound

At the end of 2024 it’ll be 30&Knuckles years old ;p

13. It's funny because Sonic 3 the movie will also coming out in this very same year.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
  14. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I have felt for some time if they brought the Advance games to GBA on switch and put Adventure 1&2 on the Eshop that would be amazing.

Add that connective support to transfer chaos and I'd be in heaven. They wont do it though because they're cowards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Mookey

Mookey

Maybe they'll port the Steam release of DX to modern consoles, with a few new bugs for old times sake :V

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. grubbyplaya

grubbyplaya

A shitty port of DX is too repetitive. I for one would like to see Sonic Adventure: Ultimate, where every level is given just enough bloom to permanently blind me within thirty seconds.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  17. aria

aria

growl from the digital haze Member
    i saw soned2 supports chaotix five minutes ago
    This but running some form of compatibility layer through Unity or Godot where it adds tons of input lag, introduces brand new bugs and also breaks physics even further. :V

18. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Sonic Spinball's turning 30.

19. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Sonic Boom turning 10 next year it a bit hard to swallow. Considering how much the franchise stagnated after that point until the 2020 film (minus Mania) it still feels like we are only a few years removed... not nearly 10! It will be older then 06 was when Boom released... it already is, but still wild to think about

20. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    DRMBM turns 30 this November 26th.