don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

It's not that simple, as far as I perceive it (far from expertise, mind me ^^").
    Wouldn't Jun Senoue get beefed over such a thing?
    Maybe there are contractual and royalties issues.
    They might've not even considered it, in the first place.
    At the end of the day, we get the short end of the stick...as usual...

And wait a sec... The animated cutscenes were written by Ian Flynn?
    That totally passed me bythis whole time, I thought someone at SEGA had done it.
    Then I guess some of the "issues" some folks here have may derive from his perspective of each game's base plot.

2. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    The Super Sonic music and even the replacement music aren't bugs to be fixed. For better or worse, that's what they wanted in the game.

Now, the muffled music is a disappointment.

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    All I really wanted were a physical edition and bugfixes so I'm happy with this.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    From the footage I've seen, this does not appear to be the case.

Also the stage bgm still resets after the extra life jingle which is incredibly jarring.

Also this:

Total results screen still displays a TIE result despite the actual recorded times in a single player Grand Prix run

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I mean Jun Senoue had the same thing happen to his original Mega Drive tracks in 3D Blast anyway. Had his soundtrack 'Genesis-ified' with solid composition and instruments. Hell putting in the beta versions of the S3K tracks would technically just be replacing his work with...HIS work again. it really depends on whether the versions in Origins are his 'final' approved versions.

I think we've kinda accepted the fact the soundtrack changes are here to stay though, I'd rather they just amped the actual sound quality to be same with the other games.

And yeah, I was surprised too. Really I think they might actually be my favourite work of Flynn's. He's such an expositional heavy writer usually so having him script a work that is purely just silent character acting just seems so impressive to me. I'd love if he tried more of that really. It's an underrated approach.

Anyone else lowkey disappointed we didn't get official pixel crunched Amy sprites for Competition Mode? :P

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  6. Ok, important question, do we have of footage of Chibi Amy in Sonic CD? If I see that, I will forgive literally eveveryflaw this collection has. :V

7. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Also, does Metal Sonic kidnap Sonic in Amy's playthrough in Sonic CD? I'm guessing not, but it'd have been so nice.

8. My Xbox version just received the title update.

EDIT: Sonic 3's physics seem more accurate. The ledge detection works again - I was able to jump up to that giant ring in Hydrocity without flying.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    2.0 patch is now live on PS5 & PS4 (in the UK).

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    No, nothing happens at all, as with the other not-Sonic characters. It's like playing the level in Time Attack.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  11. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I got the the base update and Sonic 3 & K still has that glitch where sometimes superforms get stuck on the loop. It’s almost like a sonic 4ish type glitch. I cannot believe they missed that again on the best game of this collection. I’m so disappointed.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  12. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    2.0 is out on Nintendo Switch. Here is what I noticed:

FIXED:
    • You can now jump off the columns in Marble Garden and access the hidden routes.

NOT FIXED:
    • Still can’t replay a completed save file.
    • Still no “and Tails” option in Sonic 1.
    • Still no Super Sonic in 2PVS (This was possible in the Mega Drive original).
    • The Museum still has those dreadful zoom/page turn controls.

OTHER
    • There’s now an ad for the DLC. Although it’s on the Museum screen which is weird, because the content is added to the Mission screen. Of course, clicking the ad doesn’t work, because the DLC isn’t out yet.
    • You can now customize controls, and the controller options make use of all the face buttons.

Pretty weak update considering the time they’ve had.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The new routes added to Sonic CD are indeed included in the 2.0 patch. Here's a quick playthrough I did of CC act 1 with Tails in different time zones:

Also, here's a new hidden area with an extra life in Tidal Tempest act1:

Did a quick run through of Quartz Quadrant and didn't find any new areas.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    We're calling the bug fixes over the original versions of the games glitches unto themselves now. We are through the looking-glass, people

15. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I agree, there was no intent to have super sonic in 2P VS in the Genesis game. That's an actual glitch.

16. Pengi

Pengi

The Collision Chaos boss still doesn't work right in Sonic CD's Boss Rush mode - the boss music doesn't play and Eggman doesn't drop bombs, because the starting point has him off-screen. In a regular non-boss rush playthrough you encounter Eggman before you go to the pinball table.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    While Super Sonic in 2PVS is a glitch, it's a special type of glitch that adds an extra feature to the game. The players can "steal" the superpowers from each other (using the teleporter), which adds an extra dimension of fun. It's not like other Mega Drive glitches, which are normally a blemish on the experience.

Super Tails in Sonic 2 & 3 were glitches, but they made them into proper features in Origins (well kind of, you still have to use debug in Sonic 2 for Super Tails. But in Sonic 3, he's accessible without needing to collect the Super Emeralds (It's not the same Super Tails from S3&K with Flickies as that's now become Hyper Tails. This is the Super Tails (sans Flickies) from Sonic 3 alone, which previously only existed as a glitch). So there is precedent for "special" glitches getting (sort of) reworked.

I wasn't expecting them to make Super Sonic in 2PVS a proper feature, but it would have been neat if they had.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    2:30

What's going on with Amy's special stage sprites in Sonic 2? It's like it's missing frames.

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    While using drop dash in Mania the moment the player hits the ground it'll gives you a set speed, if you are on a slope you'll naturally gain speed after the initial drop dash boost.

In origins at least in Sonic 1, if you land on a slope you get your Y velocity momentium applied to the drop dash speed, so it acts like you landed on a slope, gained speed and then drop dashed on top of that.