don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Are you referring to the "5 year plan" leak? It's so generic that anyone could've made it and gotten lucky.

2. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Please stop throwing a pity party for a multi-national company that will make millions of dollars off of this one asset. See how this goes both ways? Legal / "fair" does not always equal transparent or considerate.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What are you talking about? It doesn't go both ways at all. It was contracted work that should have been negotiated. They should have negotiated their contract if they valued their work that much. Considering how Rafta lashed out in the past, they had no clue and were willingly ignorant on how to handle such transactions. That's entirely on them.
    If you're going to hand our free pity, send some my way since my work from 10 years ago is still in Origins and SEGA hasn't sent me a check. I'm not crying about it though because I negotiated another deal since I'm not an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far, there's a genuine effort to make something original here and the physics so far seem to be pretty accurate!

My main hope is that the soundtrack actually uses real instruments, instead of the awful faux-megadrive sound used in Sonic 4 and Forces

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

4 and Forces were born held to some strange, arbitrary limitations of using some Mega Drive samples and overall making the music sounds faux-retro. And somehow both of those disasters were made to look good compared to Jun Senoue's frankly horrible work on Origins.

Based on the visual style alone, I'm expecting the music to be held to no such limitations this time around.

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

There's stuff of yours in Origins? Never heard of it (or might've skimmed through it ^^").

7. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Sega’s almost definitely within their rights to use a model they commissioned and paid for, but it doooes feel a little gross to reveal it’s use without credit the same day they (apparently) decided to pull some kinda shenanigans with the AEGIS union vote

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    IIRC Chimpo made some additional Tails sprites for Sonic CD.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I liked Sonic Advance, and this looks like it's very much in that mold, I'm interested. Not $60 interested, but I'll wait to see more.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    I guess SEGA should start crediting every single person that worked on their games through Twitter posts instead of the usual in-game credits moving forward. This is ridiculous. I'm tapping out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. ELS

ELS

upload_2023-6-9_5-52-2.png
    Why can't I sign up for a Steam key?

12. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    It does go both ways, if you think a harmless comment that industries could maybe consider compensating people in post without playing cutthroat is a "pity party", then I'm not sure how you don't see jumping at me to defend SEGA comes across as handing out the same sentiment to a company. My comment is less about pity (and definitely not about "crediting people on Twitter posts" or wherever the discourse has lead), it's more saying "it kinda sucks that business is done this way". Ultimately I don't think Sonic Team is being horrible and, as stated, the person who approved the use of these assets probably didn't think twice about it because they're already safe to use.

Edit: On a different note, apparently at least one person (CamesCage/Fadel) has claimed they've been invited to play the game this weekend. I wonder if we'll actually get some gameplay footage or just impressions...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    looks nice but until we get something playable i'm not putting any excitement into it, not with the way sega treats it's sonic games.

One thing that I think is clear is that they are aiming to make an up to 4 player platformer similar to kirby 2d games lately and disney's illusion island, which might limit exactly how stages flow including those transforms like the squids in the trailer.

14. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Looking forward to this!
    Love the idea of cooperative gameplay!

Definite preorder, the first since generations for me!

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    If their marketing is anything like Origins +, get ready to be blown away by a 144p 15fps Let's Play by someone who doesn't understand what a video game is 2 weeks before the game is out.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

It seems to be sort of a split. There's spots like the squid swimming gimmick, which seem to be level-specific challenges in their own right, and then the half-pipe running / waterfall jumping part is explicitly part of a Chaos Emerald power. If the Chaos Emeralds are optional judging by the return of Sonic 1 style special stages, that means the latter sections are entirely for replayability and bonus routing / score / items by knowing when to use the powers.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

By all accounts this should have been a modern Sonic game. Classic Sonic has no business being in whatever this is.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

Erm... Why's that, if I may ask?

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Classic Sonic is just another branch of the franchise and is finally being used for purposes other than last corporate cash grabbing and nostalgia baiting. And the two styles convey different messages now too: Modern is natural continuation of the series as it had evolved over the years whilst Classic is a simpler affair reminiscent of the old days (whilst still being able to move forwards despite that thanks to this game).

I'm all game for seeing a 2D game with Modern Sonic. But Superstars is doing a great job of encapsulating everything a lot Classic Sonic. Why shouldn't it be a Classic game?