don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

There isn't any. Just a "leaker" who said it's happening.

2. Wildcat

Wildcat

I’m also a big GB fan and today is Ghostbusters Day. News on the next movie and others things get announced. Seeing a new Sonic game announced on the same day is amazing. Love it. Looks beautiful.

3. I get things aren't for everyone but it's really weird seeing so many of yall just going straight for doom and gloom. I get having some concerns about how the game will feel, but I'd wait to judge stuff like the physics once we see some real footage of a level instead of some "hold forward" clips.

Anyways, my only real concern is how much the co-op will affect the level design. I have no interest in that aspect so this is pretty much just another single-player Sonic game to me, so hopefully the level design is up to snuff. Praying that the level design actually takes advantage of the third dimension too, I already see a little bit being done so I'm pretty optimistic about that.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Cautiously optimistic. I am... cautiously optimistic.

The artstyle in the first zone is genuinely wowing me. It doesn't look EXACTLY like a translation of the Genesis titles to 3D, it moreso looks like the "next step" for Classic Sonic. The fact that this is an ORIGINAL adventure with all-new zones and bosses is really promising. That cyber zone I'm not really sold on until we see more of it, but the jungle looks awesome. The models actually look AMAZING, and I love the way they made Amy's run animation a little more unique with her hands behind her back.

The timing of this announcement vs. the release date has me thinking it'll be kind of a small game... but here's hoping we get a lot more zones than just "Rainbow Hill", "Jungle", and the cyber one... maybe we'll even get more acts per zone. I certainly hope there is a lot of content here considering it's been 30 years since the classic trilogy and 4 or so little zones like Sonic 4 isn't gonna cut it, especially with Mania being so big and packing in so much content. I just hope it's worth the $60 they're asking for.

My only big points of concern are the cyber gimmick that kinda just looks like it breaks up the pace of the game, the use of speed boosters in that one screenshot, and Sonic 1 special stages making yet ANOTHER return for presumably nostalgia pandering purposes, but for the most part this looks incredible and I am filled with much more hope and genuine surprise than I am with concern. I was holding out hope for a new 2D game ever since Kishimoto hinted at other titles being in development, and God... this just looks SO much better compared to Sonic 4, Generations, etc. From what we've seen so far it's hard to tell what the physics will be like, but with the blurb mentioning the word "physics" specifically and saying this will feel familiar for classic fans, I am REALLY hoping they know what they're doing with this one.

Also, FANG???

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Didn't expect this today! This looks really neat so far.

6. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I’m going to wait to play the game. I love the visuals, the animations are great, and it looks like it’s multiplayer. I like the way the screen expands like 2D Rayman Origins or Mario. Me & my son will have fun playing this. All of those boost panels need to disappear. That gives me flashbacks of Sonic 4 Episode 2.

7. Davether

Davether

Hooray, Nack is back!!! ...wait, the website calls him Fang? Er, Hooray Fang is back!!

Looks like this game has all original levels this time. That was pretty much all I wanted out of a sequel to Mania. I have high hopes for this! I'm also very intrigued about the "master new powers from the chaos emeralds" line in the description, maybe this means each individual emerald gives you some kind of power up as opposed to nothing until you have the full set of 7?

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    sorry but I'm not in a rational enough state to pick apart all the things you could criticize...

this is all I wanted... an all new classic game...

thanks Sega

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Lambda

Lambda

Not loving that when you go to sign up for the exclusive Amy skin, there's a button for Epic Games, but not one for Steam.

I smell a timed Epic exclusive... and it reeks.

Might have to buy it on Switch if it's not locked to 30FPS or something stupid like that.

10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Wow. 10 pages in less than 4 hours.

Anyway, I'd call this promising. It looks fun, and I'm glad to see they're finally giving us a classic Sonic game with modern graphics.

I'm disappointed that Amy comes off as Sonic reskin like in Origins Plus, though. I miss his more unique play style from SA1 and Advance 1.

11. Snowbound

Snowbound

I share your concerns about multiplayer level design and I also wish Yas was involved.
    When someone in the know mentioned Origins Plus before it was announced I recall them saying it was connected to prime somehow… maybe it’s that Origins’ final cutscene takes place immediately before superstar (and it’s superstar that’s connected to prime). I still think it’s possible Ohshima is building off of the scrapped CD special stage but I def see the shatterverse connection.
    Edit:
    I’m a fool. The Sonic 1-style special stages are LITERALLY the scrapped multi-tiered ones from CD. Check out 1:11 onwards in the trailer. I was thinking abstract when it was right in front of me the whole time. This makes it very likely that Ohshima is director of this project.
    Would u be willing to post the timecode where the trailer demonstrates momentum? The clips in the trailer are short so I had a hard time making out finer details.
    I suspect you’re right. Assuming there is a speedcap, I wonder if modders would be able to remove it. Tbc the onus of making a good game falls on Sega, not modders. I’m just asking cuz I know there are folks here with waay more technical knowledge than me.
    IIRC that survey mentioned new playable characters… and the game informer article mentioned that Ohshima has made a new character for this game… I think this is a real possibility

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  12. JackBz

JackBz

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, but that new classic Sonic render made me feel how I did when Sonic Mania was first announced. It just looks so right and gives me (maybe undeserved) hope for the rest of the game

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Anyone else think Fang might be the reason Origins Plus has the Game Gear games slipped on over the remaining Mega Drive ones?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Maybe it's just me, but the style reminds me of the old Sonic Fan Remix fangame:

15. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    we just had to wait 13 years for it to release :p

16. Astro

Astro

Looks really good to me, I doubt the physics will be 1:1 but neither was something like Generations' classic stages and I still love that game a ton. Really it just comes down to whether the level design is properly built around how Sonic and Co. play, and that's something Generations got down correctly while Sonic 4 felt like was so broken they threw in the homing-attack just so the levels could function.

Is there any word on who's composing? My preference is Tee Lopes but I can't imagine that'll wind up like Sonic 4's botched soundtrack.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    After watching the twitter reactions and everyone go to page 10 here, I realize now I'm just a jaded old gamer man who is happy that the vast majority of people are happy with this and that my childhood hero is now mainstream and respected by the vast majority of the gamer/anime population again.

I guess, in the end, so long as the game isn't terrible, I'll just try to sit back and have fun with this. That's how I handled Frontiers, and despite some notable flaws, I enjoyed the hell out of it and 100%-ed it in a few days.

I kind of consider this post-Mania era Sonic's second golden age (even if fan creations remain a huge part of that greatness), and I welcome it.

18. Yuzu

Yuzu

I’m gonna be cautiously optimistic. From a style point of view the game looks fantastic and at the very least I hope it’s a lot of fun with friends in the same way that Rayman Origins & Legends was.

19. PhazonHopper

PhazonHopper

I wonder if the structure of this game is going to be more like a Mario 3/World/NSMB with a world map instead of the continuous stage to stage gameplay, since that would be more conducive to the multiplayer component that is clearly center-stage here. That would also make it more palatable as a longer game, which this will need to be to be worth the money.

I'm also curious about the acquisition of the Chaos Emeralds. The fact that they unlock actual in-game abilities (or, I guess that's how you get them?) makes me worried that they'll just be unlocked as you play the game rather than tying them to skill challenges.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Turbohog

Turbohog

So much grinding in the trailer makes me think this will be full of typical modern Sonic Team design. Next trailer will probably have springs, balloons, boost pads, rockets, etc.

Weird they didn't do this immediately after Generations though.