don't click here

Sonic Riders 2 & 3, Additional Spinoffs Confirmed

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gamerguy, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Kikizo Games had an exclusive interview with the higher-ups of Sonic Team today. They discussed Sonic Rush, Sonic Riders, and the next-gen Sonic the Hedgehog game. Although the full interview has not yet been published, Kikizo has provided us with a summary.

Kikizo stressed that Sonic Team heavily prefers 2D titles over 3D all across the board. No big surprise there. Perhaps more important is that Nishiyama told Kikizo that a sequel to Sonic Rush would be made if there was enough demand, and he thinks gamers are already expecting it at this point. We can probably expect a Sonic Rush 2 announcement sometime around the release of Sonic Riders.

Speaking of Riders, Takashi Yuda (the game's director) claims that Sega decided to make another Sonic racing game by public demand. I don't know what public he's listening to, but either way, he thinks that the game will be very successful and promises that we'll see full blown sequels to it on next gen consoles. This confirms the report from EuroGamer a couple weeks ago, however, no mention of a PSP Riders was made. It's still possible, though, so don't rule it out. But read the fine print again: sequelS, with an S - that's plural, meaning more than one. We can expect at least two more Riders games on the next gen consoles.

The biggest piece of information is that Sega is exploring other spinoff possibilities for the series. Given the poor history of Sonic spinoffs, this could be good or bad. Yuda says:
    Yuda probably doesn't care about the two Sonic Golf games on mobile phones, but "suitable for the fans" makes me excited and concerned at the same time. As Sega become more involved with its fans (Shadow contest, anyone?), they might take more of our suggestions into consideration. On the other hand, they might listen to the wrong audience. Here's hoping for an Eggman game.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    If only they would make a 2D games that is NOT for a handheld.

3. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    The compromise would be to make an entirely 3D game from a side-scrolling perspective. The levels would be entirely polygonal, but you would see it from the side, and the level designers from Rush could design the levels like that. Pretty graphics combined with the old side-scrolling perspective and level design.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    No console supports fully 2D other than Nintendo DS. Of course you can make a side scrolling 3D game, but perspective will lower the quality of the textures, especially in OpenGL.

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Sonic Mega Collection+ doesn't count as fully 2D?

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    No, it used an emulator.

And since when does the GameCube not support 2D? Can it not simply use paletted sprites? Or is there a catch?

7. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Still, it emulates full 2D. That gives me enough to think that the console supports full 2D if it can emulate it. Even if it's not directly, there are ways to get to it.
    Alien Hominid is completely 2D, right?

Puyo Puyo Fever 2 kthx.
    No suprises here.

8. EXOGGEDDEN

EXOGGEDDEN

orgasmic Member
    They'd use textured quads if they want to do 2D nowadays. At least that's how 2D games are done in Direct3D =P

9. Xian

Xian

Give the DS what it wants. Member
    What about Legend of Zelda: Four swords Adventures? Was that not pure 2D?

EDIT: clarity

10. Elusive

Elusive

Sparkster the Rocket Knight Member
    I don't like the use of '2, 3 ... additional spinoffs' in the article being used so loosely. This could simply mean the single game's going multiformat.

Also, 'for the fans' seems an oddly vague phrase to use. Which fans? The majority of the Sonic game buying demographic - 10-18 - or the few nerds who've cracked open their ROMs?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That would be awesome and would probably make them earn more money than the games they're currently releasing since they would be pleasing different fan groups at the same time.

12. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    Reminds me of Kirby 64. That game was completely [Well, mostly] 3D, with 2D gameplay.

It was awesome.

13. Gamerguy

Gamerguy

SHHHHHHH Member
    Sorry, I was referring to Riders as a spinoff and saying that more spinoffs were on the way. Maybe it's not clear enough.

14. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    It is possible to make a completely 2D game on the Nintendo Gamecube. A good example is Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Dr. Mario, Yoshi's Cookie (or whatever the hell that game was called), and Panel De Pon remastered), a Japan-only game. The Trasher (of Sonic CulT and MFGG fame) ripped sprites from it with an emulator: here and here.

15. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Konoa 2 kthx. Some of the most detailed cell shading ever too. Up there with Dark Cloud 2.

16. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    On the subject of Riders, what will happen if the first one bombs? They will be making worthless sequels and lose money, it seems.

On an off-topic note, this is my last post, as my trial membership has now run out. Lightning, push the admins into promoting me, or else you won't get your Windows Vista/Longhorn/Whistler Betaaa[size=-1]a[/size][size=-2]s![/size]

17. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

If they remade S3K as a 3D game with 2D gameplay, and added in voices to the cutscenes, that would be awesome. Actually, it would just be awesome if they made any new Sonic game like that. It's good to know that Sonic Team prefers 2D games, I mean, the 3D games were good, but the 2D were definetly better.

18. Vangar

Vangar

*Soinc defeats Eggman for the first time in Sonic 3, then runs to the bridge*

Knuckles: Ha ha ha I am going to make you fall!
    Sonic: Fall? Oh no
    Knuckles: If you press jump right as I drop the bridge you will not fall
    Sonic: Ok, but I need to fall to go on.

*falls*

In other words, no voice acting! :P

19. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

I've been saying "2.5D Sonic game plz" sice I was a turd trial member here.

edit: I have a serious problem typing out "Sonic" as "SOnic".

20. IcePak

IcePak

Oops, sorry for the double post. I accidently hit the post button, but when I checked this topic before adding my next post, this one didn't appear, so I continued with the new post. Then I discovered this. Any mods who want to delete this post, please go ahead and do so.

Damn, now I've wasted one of my posts. Oh well...

Read my following post for what I was actually going to say in this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.