Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I wouldn't call a bunch of springs and rings an extra-difficult platforming challenge, I'd call it a pain :v:

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Taxman and Stealth already put in the effort to re-create and actually improve/expand upon Blue Sphere, new mechanics and all, for their S3&K tech demo pitch, so it would be a shame and a waste if they chose not to use it.

3. +1, Blue Sphere is the best special stage Sonic's ever had, imo.

Sonic CD's could be just as good also with some big tweaks / improvements.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

Eh, I disagree about special stages breaking the flow of the game. If the special stage is good, it can be a really refreshing change of pace. Sonic 1's aren't super fun to me and Sonic 2's ultimately get frustrating. But again, blue spheres ... damn it's good. It's fun, challenging, and it still feels like Sonic. I love the way it speeds up.

In any case, I'm excited to see what Mania brings to the table. I could definitely see them using multiple types of special stages.

5. Lythatic

Lythatic

SJ, California
    Some SA2 Review that's taking Forever
    While I do love me some Blue Spheres, I think it would be really cool if we got some special stages like Knuckles Chaotix, since this game is like the "32 bit Saturn Sonic game we never got" it would be cool if it had special stages from the other 32 bit "Sonic" game

6. Flygon

Flygon

Hell, breaking the flow itself can be an intentional design feature. A breather from the main game itself.

It makes the main feature all the more interesting. It's the same reason action movies aren't totally balls-to-the-wall action.

7. Yeah, that is a cool idea. What's that endless runner game on PC (also ended up on phone), flat shaded polygons, can't remember.

Something rhythm based like Thumper could also be cool.

Although this speculation is kinda pointless so close to release :v:

8. Felik

Felik

Actually it's a huge surprise that there are people don't like classic special stages (bar MD 3D Blast) let alone the very concept of a special stage.
    Unlike classic bosses (which are mostly boring and extremely easy when you've mastered them) I always thought and still think special stages are really fun and descent challenge and are a big breath of fresh air when I replay classic Sonic games.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I retract my previous statement just a bit. I would be totally down for Manias Special Stages to be or be similar to Chaotixs Special Stages. They were so bizarre and full of potential, and the technology the Mania Team has now could make them extraordinary.

I just hope like CD, if you fail, you get a chance to recover before being knocked out the Special Stage.

10. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Glad it's been confirmed that Blue Sphere isn't the Special Stage - knew Stealth/Tax and the team would want more originality than that. However, now that that's confirmed I'm also glad to see it make a return - had a lot of fun with Sonic 3&K's Special Stages so the prospect of more Blue Sphere mazes appeals to me.

Though it does rather beg the question - since it's not the Special Stage, why is it in there? Is it a Bonus Stage? The Sonic 1 Special Stages were used as the basis for one of Sonic 3&K's Bonus Stages, so it's not an idea without precedent. Alternatively, could it simply be an unlockable extra of some sort? After all, they already had the basic tech built for their Sonic 3 Remastered pitch, so they could have decided to include more Blue Sphere stages simply as a cool extra minigame unrelated to the main action.

Even if it's not a Bonus Stage, I hope this game has some of those - I loved the three from S3&K and would love to see what ideas for new Bonus Stages the Mania team would come up with. = )

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    [​IMG]

12. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    That just cuts out the Special Stage entirely, though :colbert:

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I don't see how Blue Sphere with a wireless controller can work? Every time I've tried to play Blue Sphere on my PS3 there was too much latency. Maybe things are better now??

Additionally, each classic Sonic game had it's own unique special stage which displayed the current state of technology achievable with the Genesis. Being as Sonic Mania is supposed to be imagined as continuation of the classics onto the Saturn, I would expect the special stages to follow this logic.

Finally, I've never really enjoyed the special stages apart from their replay value. I've always found them to completely break the flow of the gameplay, and upon revisiting the classics I just try to avoid them generally. There isn't more than 5 minutes of fun to be had as Super Sonic anyway, unless they can work his abilities into the levels themselves.

Personally, I would prefer special stages which reflect or augment Sonic's normal move-set. This would keep the gameplay consistent. I think a special stage like Sonic Runners would be ideal. But honestly, no matter what it is I'm not going to be too picky, because as I've said, I view special stages as more of a completionist aspect of the game, not as part of the main game... if that makes sense...

14. On the PS3, were you playing the Backbone Sonic 3 & Knuckles port? If so, those things were notorious for their latency issues. It was bad on the Xbox 360 as well.

15. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Huh? Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't exist on the PS3. Neither Sonic 3, S&K, or S3&K came to PSN; and you're referring to Sonic 3 and S&K on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, that compilation doesn't support lock-on.

16. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Yes, I am referring to Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the PS3. What does the lack of lock-on à la Sonick3&K have to do with the issue of wireless latency?

My point is that unless latency issues can be solved, Blue Sphere is basically broken. I have a Nintendo Switch and am already having a fuck of a time with latency and poor signal while playing Breath of the Wild. Sonic Mania is on Switch...

17. ...Huh. I didn't know that PSN never got the Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles ports.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It doesn't. Yeow missed the point of Ashram's post.

The problem is Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. That shitty fucking emulator adds more latency than any wireless controller.

19. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    It is a horrible emulation, but I found the same issue with Sonic Generations (Unleashed, I don't recall). I find the Switch to have even greater wireless issues, just sayin'.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBLUSXIqsmQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0RbThgfu8

EDIT: Changed videos to official uploads

EDIT 2: Also:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic_mania/b/playstation4/archive/2017/03/10/classic-sonic-with-a-new-spin.aspx